PDA

View Full Version : Hasselblad to Nikon F-mount adapter?

swifty
20-11-2009, 6:47pm
Another potentially silly question:
Can I get a Hasselblad to Nikon F-mount adapter?
If so, would I want to do that and what are potential pitfalls?

Here's the thought. I've got the urge to get a Carl Zeiss Planar 110mm f2.
I already know of Hasselblad to Contax 645 adapters but I just wondered if the lens can do double duty and be mounted on Nikon F-mounts too, which is my digital platform.
I'd love to eventually own a blad and with the appropriate adapters, one lens becomes three (or 4 if you count DX/FX) focal lengths. Ok... its not a big difference between 645 and 6x6 but the change in format does change things up.
I'm aware that it is manual focus only, and probably only stop down metering but that lens is essentially going to be used wide open much of the time so no big deal there.

Analog6
20-11-2009, 6:50pm
I will ask on the Hasselblad forum for you.

Done, will report back.

swifty
20-11-2009, 8:51pm
Thanks Odille.
BTW, which hasselblad forum were you referring to. I might go have a browse through it

swifty
20-11-2009, 9:33pm
Hmm.. I've just found a potential prob already whilst researching.
So.. answering my own question, it seems there are adapters. Now, which one.......

However, the C, CF, CFE, CFi lenses all have leaf shutters in the lens, I believe. So would that cause a problem when mounted on a camera that has a focal plane shutter such as a Contax 645 and Nikon DSLRs?
What happens when the focal plane shutter is triggered on a lens with a leaf shutter?
Does this mean only F and FE lens can be used on focal plane shutter cameras via adapter?

TOM
20-11-2009, 10:37pm
yes you can get an adaptor. the only one i've seen was a japanese made one, and it aint cheap. the hasselblad lens won't perform as well on 135 film as it does on 120 film however. you can get a leica adaptor for your nikon HERE (http://www.leitax.com/leica-lens-for-nikon-cameras.html). it is much harder to design a lens for 135 film than it is for 120 film, all things being equal. ie, the circle of confusion is much smaller on small format (1/30mm in theory but this is dubious nowadays), compared to 1/1500 of the diagonal of the format size for anything other than 135 film.

Analog6
21-11-2009, 4:24am
Well, the admin of the forum (http://www.hasselbladinfo.com/forum/index.php) who I believe works for Hasselblad says:

"Yes the adapter exists and is beautifully made.
Simply check evilbay to find one.
Adapters exist for Canon DSLR, Nikon, Pentax etc.
I paid around 35 euro for a Pentax adapter including shipping from Hong Kong. A true bargain."

Hope this is helpful.

Analog6
21-11-2009, 5:31pm
A further reply:

"I still own one and I did use it for a year or so - back in the days when I used to shoot digital

Not only stop down metering but Stop down Shooting.

When you stop the lens down to anything but wide open it is very difficult to focus - I mean almost impossible

The quality is unbelievable... basically the lenses create a new camera of its own class... once you shoot with them you wouldn't want to use a nikkor lens never again...

Will recommend it 100%, although only for studio use/makro, when things can be done on a slow pace."

swifty
22-11-2009, 10:28am
Thanks for the response, guys. Appreciated it.

TOM: I've heard ppl say what you said about 135 lenses being harder to design and hence larger format lens may not work as well on that format ie. trying to use lenses designed for 120 on digital (DX or FX).
However, from everything I've read so far its been praise universally in terms of IQ but all with the caveat that use can be a bit of a pain. Could it be that on DX or FX, you're essentially only using the middle of the glass since the image circle is so much larger and hence that would negate the effects of the simpler designed 120 lenses.
I would look at Leica R lenses except I'm trying to buy for the Contax 645 as well as Nikon F and would anticipate one day adding a Hasselblad V series so trying to get maximum compatibility. The Zeiss Planar 110mm f2 ain't cheap but if it'll do triple duties, then i might just sink for it after i sell my 24-70mm. I read your post on my 24-70mm ad, but just to let u know, I have a buyer I'm meeting next Thursday so just letting you know its likely to be sold by end of next week.

Analog6: Thanks for asking for me on the Hasselblad site.
Do you know what they mean by stop down shooting as well as metering?
I thought it would be the same thing, since when metering and in turn triggering the shutter, you'd have physically stopped the aperture diaphragms down already.
But the lens I was looking at is essentially the fastest you can get on MF and I would essentially be using at or near wide open most of the time so I don't think dim viewfinders would be a big hiccup.

Any ideas on possible incompatibility issues with leaf shutters in lens, and focal plane shutters in camera?
Oh, would focus indicator work at all? I presume not since the adapter would be a pure mechanical connection, and no electronics.