PDA

View Full Version : What computer for photoshop & Lightroom

nigo75
19-11-2009, 6:43pm
Hi
Just got the new Photoshop & Lightroom and my first DSLR a new Nikon D5000 and there all great.
I would like to know what a good computer level is good to run both of these,I know the min reqirements but how fast do I need to go to be happy and not waiting all the time.And one last qusetion do some graphics card slow these programs down.
All the best and thanks in advance for the help if any
:th3:

Invictus
19-11-2009, 7:37pm
Recommended: Get as high performance a computer as your budget allows. If you're not sure what components combinations should give you better performance, then your local computer store that custom builds them, can help. (If they are worth their salt)
Overall performance is a combination of CPU + Motherboard + Memory/RAM (Amount + Speed) + Video + Hard drive access speeds.
A video card with dedicated memory (ie: not onboard) will be better than onboard video that shares your system memory/RAM.

nigo75
19-11-2009, 7:46pm
Thanks Matt great help:efelant:

bigdazzler
20-11-2009, 8:12am
buy a mac mate and come hang out with the cool kids .. :D

seriously though, my 24" 2.8 imac, with 4GB ram , runs Lightroom and CS4 like a dream. Just another option to consider.

Colourised
23-11-2009, 2:54am
2nd darren's opinion. even the 21.5" macs running for 1.5kaud looks slurpylicious. especially with the new LED screen. WowZa.

elgoogoogle
23-11-2009, 10:08am
3rd that option.

mac all the way.

ricktas
23-11-2009, 10:14am
Agree with Matt, get the best you can afford.

Also if you are getting one custom built. See if you cannot get 2 hard-drives installed. One for operating system and programs, and the second as a storage area for your photos. If you start shooting RAW, you will be working with 20MB files, which when converted to TIF can be upwards of 50MB each. You will need plenty of storage!

I reckon 4GB Ram, at least a core 2 duo, and a 1gb graphics card, 2 hard-drives is a good starting point, and then as funds allow, an external backup drive to have a copy of your photos (in case one dies). Getting into photography isn't cheap..eh.

para
23-11-2009, 10:14am
buy a mac mate and come hang out with the cool kids .. :D

seriously though, my 24" 2.8 imac, with 4GB ram , runs Lightroom and CS4 like a dream. Just another option to consider.

agree

Redback200
14-01-2013, 12:48pm
I would suggest that if you go MAC or PC whatever you get, at least get a quad core processor and as much RAM as you can. With PC's RAM is cheap at the moment and 16 - 32 Gb shoudl set you back less than $200 and that greatly helps with your editing. At least that's what I found when upgraded from 4Gb to 16Gb of RAM.

Warbler
14-01-2013, 3:46pm
Geez Redback200, did you notice he asked this question over three years ago? I think he's already got one (like the Holy Grail).

Kym
14-01-2013, 3:57pm
Since the thread has come back from the dead...

If you go PC and are up for a custom build (best value) then refer to: http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/rmp_sg_whirlpoolpcs_multi_tasking_configs

wideangle
15-01-2013, 8:42am
I would highly recommend a custom build, and if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself then your local computer shop will be able to help. That way you get the most effective components that suit your photography needs. What is your budget, do you already have a monitor you are happy with? Excluding a monitor you should be able to get a decent computer for around the $1500 mark and treated well will last you many years.

An I7 processor, 16GB RAM (make sure you get a 64bit OS so it can utilse it)

ROA44
15-01-2013, 9:00am
I am also looking at some new computers gear but am frustrated with MS as that mine has now been stable for a while but would like to upgrade but don't really want to have to go to 7 or 8 and am considering MACs but run Dual monitors and at $500 a pop gets a bit rich when considering all the other gear I would like to get.