PDA

View Full Version : Tips for a Lightroom Noob ??

bigdazzler
18-11-2009, 6:51am
Been an Aperture user from day one but just bought a copy of Lightroom ... gimme your best user hints and tips :D Thankyou :)

ricktas
18-11-2009, 7:04am
Go out and buy Scott Kelby's Lightroom book, that's my tip.

kiwi
18-11-2009, 7:20am
www.lightroomkillertips.com

and what Rick said

Lots of tutes on youtube etc

IanB
18-11-2009, 7:26am
Rick's suggestion is spot one; but its free at the library ;)

Bill44
18-11-2009, 8:33am
Darren, this forum can be a lifesaver, some of the members are on the Lightroom team.
http://www.lightroomforums.net/index.php

oldfart
18-11-2009, 8:45am
My no1 Tip, you can never have enough Pre Sets
but don't have them in 1 huge list of you spend all your life scrolling looking for the ones you use the most

bigdazzler
18-11-2009, 8:49am
Go out and buy Scott Kelby's Lightroom book, that's my tip.

Thanks Rick. Just put in an order at fishpond. Got myself Kelbys LR and CS4 books, as well as Hotshoe Diaries. Love my books :D

Thanks for the other tips too guys .. ill have a look at all of them .. Cheers

CherylB
18-11-2009, 1:02pm
Thanks Rick. Just put in an order at fishpond. Got myself Kelbys LR and CS4 books, ...

Me too! About time I learned how to use them properly!

Thanks for the mention of fishpond Darren - I didn't even know it existed! Should be a damn sight faster than Amazon. :)

Lani
18-11-2009, 3:12pm
Thanks for the mention of fishpond Darren - I didn't even know it existed! Should be a damn sight faster than Amazon. :)
Don't bet on it Cheryl. ;)...based on experience it can sometimes take about the same time.

bigdazzler
18-11-2009, 3:20pm
all my fishpond deliveries have been here inside 5 working days .. I dont find them too bad, certainly quicker than Amazon.

kiwi
18-11-2009, 3:23pm
Biggest tip for new to LR though - there is no save function, don't look for it

Changes happen to the image in develop mode all the time and are held in a database so that you can revert, step backwards any time. Lossless.

You have to export an image to use it/print it etc

Tip #2, master tip #1 then get back to me

Lani
18-11-2009, 3:44pm
all my fishpond deliveries have been here inside 5 working days .. I dont find them too bad, certainly quicker than Amazon.

Maybe they find Tassie a bit harder to locate...down here in the boondocks :D

CherylB
18-11-2009, 6:15pm
I've had two emails so far (I ordered 3 books in all), and they both say they should arrive between Tuesday and Friday next week. Last time I used Amazon, I chose the expedited shipping (not the very top one, the next one down), and the parcel took almost as long as normal shipping would have - ie. about 6 weeks. So if fishpond can get my books here next week, I'll be very happy!

(but if I see any Tanzanian postmarks on it, ..... :angry0:)

bigdazzler
18-11-2009, 9:28pm
Biggest tip for new to LR though - there is no save function, don't look for it

Changes happen to the image in develop mode all the time and are held in a database so that you can revert, step backwards any time. Lossless.

You have to export an image to use it/print it etc

Tip #2, master tip #1 then get back to me

Exactly the same as Aperture

bigdazzler
19-11-2009, 1:38pm
ok so somehow with my playing around with preferences in LR , ive added a watermark to all files exported from LR ... can someone tell me how/where to get rid of it ?? I seem to remember checking a "add watermark" box somewhere, but now I cant find it for the life of me ... :confused013

ricktas
19-11-2009, 1:48pm
Daz..

File > Export > (scroll down to metadata) and untick "add copyright watermark"