PDA

View Full Version : 2 Q's about viewing photos on camera screen

Peppe
15-11-2009, 6:05pm
Hi All

This is more out of curiosity then anything else :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Q1. When viewing a photo on the camera screen, what are you seeing?
I'll elaborate:o if i shoot (D300) in RAW and HQ jpeg, what is the camera showing me in playback,
the NEF (RAW) file, the jpeg or maybe a thumbnail :confused013:confused013

Q2. How do you calibrate the screen's brightness?
Do you look at a photo on the camera next to the same photo on a calibrated screen?
Reason i ask, is we adjust our exposure to what we see on the playback but how do i know what i see on the camera is correct?

Hope i made sence :o:o:o

Pep

stevemack
15-11-2009, 6:12pm
Simple what you see with your own eyes from
the scene you have just taken should be what
you see on the LCD so calibrate to what you see
onto the LCD by adjusting brightness and whatt ever
settings your camera allows :th3:

steve.

davidd
16-11-2009, 12:36pm
Hi

just looking at the playback screen is not a very reliable way of checking exposure, (even on the D300) :).

It's much better to get used to using the histogram for checking exposure. You can set it so the histogram displays whenever you view a photo.

RuthJ
16-11-2009, 12:38pm
The image on your screen is a jpeg regardless of whether you are shooting in raw or a combo of both. The only reliable feedback you have on exposure is in your histograms.

etherial
16-11-2009, 7:42pm
Good bit of advice I had the other day is simply to exposure bracket all your shots. Yes it's three times the shots but you won't miss the exposure then.

Also never delete shots on your camera (unless you have to, or it is a complete loss). They always look different on the big screen, delete on your computer after download.

Peppe
17-11-2009, 7:56am
Thanks for your advice. i still have sooooooooooooooo much to learn:eek:

Now to go and learn how to read the histogram:o

Pep

swifty
17-11-2009, 10:21pm
Note though that the histogram is actually generated from the JPEG too, and not from the RAW file.
Unfortunately this means that in-camera jpeg settings will affect the histogram. Not crucial in most situations but it can have an effect when you're pushing one or more channels near its limits.