PDA

View Full Version : Best Monitor for Calibration

clm738
14-11-2009, 11:49am
Hi Everyone.
I am buying a new monitor. Was told to get a BENQ G2412HD as it can be calibrated to 78% RGB.
Can anyone suggest a better monitor, 24", for calibration at around $300.
No, I can't afford an Ezio.
Thanks.

mongo
14-11-2009, 12:18pm
Mongo can't really help Carmen. However, he can say that he purchased a Benq G2220HD a few weeks ago and for an inexpensive and relatively ordinary looking unit , it performs extremely well. It has an sRGB setting that it is running on at present and Mongo has not felt the need to calibrate it ( but that does not mean it may not need it). Not sure how well or easily it will calibrate when Mongo does do it in future.

good luck with your choices.

PS Mongo has had a bad experience with new HP HDMI 2228h. Quickly noticed it could not produce clean black and whites in sRGB mode or any other mode. Took it back and looked at updated version of this otherwise beautiful monitor – none of them could produce B&W without a colour tinge. Don’t buy a HP !

clm738
14-11-2009, 12:20pm
Thanks Mongo. I know how fussy you are with your photos so this is a big help.

MattC
18-11-2009, 2:49pm
I have been looking into the Samsung 2443BW+ and it looks from all accounts quite good for a non IPS panel. They are a bit more than $300, but are far, far cheaper than an IPS panel.

http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/pc-peripherals/monitor/lcd-monitor/LS24MYKRBQA/XY/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

Cheers,

Matt

kiwi
18-11-2009, 4:13pm
+1 on the samsung, I have that one and it's gooood

pollen
18-11-2009, 4:18pm
The best monitors for calibration are Eizo Colour Edges because they can be hardware calibrated and also they don't drift as much

Not sure you can really get a decent 24 inch for $300. It would be usable, but not "best"

MattC
18-11-2009, 4:40pm
The best monitors for calibration are Eizo Colour Edges because they can be hardware calibrated and also they don't drift as much

I agree - they probably are one of the best, but for $3500 (for a 24" model) you would certainly want them to be! :eek: