PDA

View Full Version : Software developers - tell us about your skills

Kym
14-11-2009, 9:41am
I'm interested in finding out what software developers are also into photography.

I'm also wondering what skills we have on the forum in this area.

So please tell us about your IT skills! :lightbulb:

I @ M
14-11-2009, 10:06am
Sorry, I only know how to log in to AP and haven't a clue about spreading sheets out in Java ( only ever been to Bali ) to lay a lamp on for the competent development of Christmas dinner for Linus Torvalds. :confused013

CherylB
14-11-2009, 10:11am
Not really enough options there Kym! In a former life I was a programmer, but I don't see much call for Cobol these days! (especially on punched cards :D )

I have dabbled a bit with html and VB, and I can do anything I like with a Remedy system. I do a fair bit of coding within a Crystal Report from time to time.

Kym
14-11-2009, 10:14am
Options - Well I could have had 20 more but just wanted a really broad gauge of current relevant skills

Andrew - you should take over primary tech support! ;)

Tannin
14-11-2009, 10:21am
Where is the option to vote for I am an incompetent LAMP developer?

CherylB
14-11-2009, 10:21am
Options - Well I could have had 20 more but just wanted a really broad gauge of current relevant skills

Yep, story of my life! Always out of date, and completely irrelevant! :D :p :rolleyes:

farmer_rob
14-11-2009, 10:28am
Reasonably currently, I know my way around SQLserver, Oracle, ASP (less so .net, but have worked with it) mainly revolving around web-to-database coding and database design.

In a past life, I knew lots about Unix, C, Informix, SQL in various flavours, 4GLs, machine code real-time programming and data acquisition, as well as broadcast video standards and video encoding.

(I can also pull calves and fix pumps - but that is another story...)

campo
14-11-2009, 11:44am
A lot of people i know in photography do have IT backgrounds whether it be programming, sys admin, BA/PM etc etc. For me I've come from support desk to web development and now into BA/PM style work although I'm strongest with backend databases. It would be interesting to know why so many photographers seems to have come from and IT background. Any researchers out there?

For me personally, i picked up a digital P&S camera after playing with a film P&S and enjoying it which rules out the "I want a cool technology gadget" thing...

jev
15-11-2009, 2:26am
My business card says: "Project Manager", but in reality I spend my days 90% of the time designing and implementing embedded software and programmable hardware (FPGA's mostly). I've just finished the implementation of an SD-host peripheral (both peripheral and device driver) and started working on a brand new Bluetooth stack last week.

I've done my share of kernel development, programmed in numerous languages, burned more fingers on hot soldering tin and was shocked by more power-components than I care to remember. I've designed and built hardware for the automotive, medical and consumer market, including development on still- and moving camera technology. Some of it provides ethernet connections to hook it up to local networks (or the internet if you prefer) for which I've developed websites and databases.

So yeah, you could say I'm a techie :). I don't do a lot of desktop programming but can if needed.

clm738
15-11-2009, 7:56pm
I make a mean dress. Is this any help? 'cause it's all double dutch to me.

Sleeper
02-12-2009, 9:48am
"Linus Torvalds asks my advice on Linux kernel development" <- that's me. :D

Ok, jokes aside, I'm really just a asp.net developer.

seastorm
02-12-2009, 10:14am
I'm a software test team leader, so I do a bit of spreadsheet programming for stats and stuff like that from raw data off SQL tables.

maccaroneski
02-12-2009, 11:34am
It would be interesting to know why so many photographers seems to have come from and IT background. Any researchers out there?

No research being done here but I would have thought that if you're IT savvy you're just more likely to be in the net - in forums, and on Flickr etc as you know your way around those things a whole lot better than Joe Average.

I have no software skills per se, unless you count being able to draft and negotiate long boring a complex contracts for a wide range of enterprise software solutions (i.e. I can talk a good game about enterprise software licensing and IP rights, but no idea how to use the software itself) - otherwise then it's "log on to AP only" for me.

Kym
02-12-2009, 12:17pm
It would be interesting to know why so many photographers seems to have come from and IT background. Any researchers out there?

No research. But AP has quite a low number of members with serious IT development skills.
Within my work environment a team of 28 IT people, 6 have DSLRs, one of them has 2 (me).
Nikon 3 x D40x, 1 x D80, 1 x D90, Canon 1 x 400D, 2 x Pentax (K20D, K-7)

gcflora
03-12-2009, 12:59pm
Well I don't know what to vote. In my pervious career I wrote using C and C++ (depending on the task). I've also coded in M68K asm and x86 asm. I know quite a few other languages as well but most proficient in C. I do not know .NET very well (although I wrote a quick'n'dirty win forms c# app a few months ago for my personal use). So I guess I can't choose any of the poll options :(

gcflora
03-12-2009, 1:01pm
Not really enough options there Kym! In a former life I was a programmer, but I don't see much call for Cobol these days! (especially on punched cards :D )

I have dabbled a bit with html and VB, and I can do anything I like with a Remedy system. I do a fair bit of coding within a Crystal Report from time to time.

Well, you can probably find work maintaining COBOL but there are few things less pleasant LOL

Miaow
03-12-2009, 1:09pm
Have a dip in computer tech (96/7) that involved doing C,C++, VB, COBOL etc - wouldn't remember too much of it now apart from VB. Can do HTML and a little basic Java. Have done quite a few spreadsheets last job.

trigger
03-12-2009, 3:52pm
First full time job wams a DB developer, was sub-contracted in 99 by a telco for the LNP program. Coded stuff in VB, Java and PLSQL. The most borring job in my life, I'll never be a code monkey again :)

peterb666
25-02-2010, 12:29am
I work for a software development company but I am not a programmer. I take the incomprehensible technical documentation and turn it into something remotely resembling English.

I write the occassional macro in VBA and play with HTML & stylesheets but I would generally rate my skills in the 'I can program a spreadsheet'.

Most of our programmers (some of whom I consider very good) cannot program a spreadsheet and come to me to get help which I find quite amusing.

SRR33
25-02-2010, 11:35am
A lot of people i know in photography do have IT backgrounds whether it be programming, sys admin, BA/PM etc etc. For me I've come from support desk to web development and now into BA/PM style work although I'm strongest with backend databases. It would be interesting to know why so many photographers seems to have come from and IT background. Any researchers out there?

For me personally, i picked up a digital P&S camera after playing with a film P&S and enjoying it which rules out the "I want a cool technology gadget" thing...

+1.. in the IT field too.

Maybe because we love technology and playing with new gadgets.

For me my inspiration for photography came from my cousin brother (who is a professional wildlife photographer). He is also into IT (well he is the boss of his many companies). If it wasn't for him I would have never got into it.

SRR33
25-02-2010, 11:36am
First full time job wams a DB developer, was sub-contracted in 99 by a telco for the LNP program. Coded stuff in VB, Java and PLSQL. The most borring job in my life, I'll never be a code monkey again :)

oh god i hate plsql.. tho at times its ok. But frustrating!!

gcflora
25-02-2010, 11:41am
oh god i hate plsql.. tho at times its ok. But frustrating!!

Well, it's better than COBOL at least!

mudman
25-02-2010, 11:47am
Well, it's better than COBOL at least!

what's wrong with COBOL? i found it an easy language to work with.
better than REXX or SAS, IMOA

gcflora
25-02-2010, 11:49am
There's nothing hugely wrong with it (for the tasks it's good for) except for the huge amount of typing.

mudman
25-02-2010, 12:09pm
There's nothing hugely wrong with it (for the tasks it's good for) except for the huge amount of typing.

the main reason people use a lotv of typing is that they don't use the language efficiently.
they use nested IF statements instead of EVALUATE for example.

pgbphotographytas
25-02-2010, 12:13pm
My skills are more in the technical / client support side after 9 years experience in desktop / server support.
My new role is in networking and communications so I am learning all about Cisco and 3com layer 3 switches, vlan's, ISA server, fibre optic networking and so on.... :th3:

Kym
25-02-2010, 12:15pm
COBOL can be concise - or not.

COMPUTE X = (-B + SQRT(B ** 2 - (4 * A * C))) / (2 * A)

The same formula could also be written less concisely as:

MULTIPLY B BY B GIVING B-SQUARED.
MULTIPLY 4 BY A GIVING FOUR-A.
MULTIPLY FOUR-A BY C GIVING FOUR-A-C.
SUBTRACT FOUR-A-C FROM B-SQUARED GIVING RESULT-1.
COMPUTE RESULT-2 = RESULT-1 ** .5.
SUBTRACT B FROM RESULT-2 GIVING NUMERATOR.
MULTIPLY 2 BY A GIVING DENOMINATOR.
DIVIDE NUMERATOR BY DENOMINATOR GIVING X.

gcflora
25-02-2010, 12:17pm
Yep, good points Kym and mudman. But a lot of old COBOL uses the second form of Kym's example

abeluka
09-03-2010, 4:42pm
I'm a professional Java/.Net developer working as a senior level programmer/architect on a commercial software product.

Sort of wish I wasn't though! many days I wish I'd never learned how to turn a PC on!

Hopefully I will soon find a foresighted employer that will let me work outside, far away from a stuffy office

GlennSan
18-03-2010, 10:40pm
Way back when I first became interested in computers, I just loved coding in x86 assembler, although it was just simple little fun programs to leanr and amuse myself. The purity of assembler fascinated me. Long winded though to build anything useful from the ground up. Then I dabbled in C for a while and again wrote myself a few little fun programs to learn as I went along.

Long since moved on into different IT work and made a good living out of it but do remember those early days fondly.

Now, about the closest I come to coding is excel macros.

I wish I was as smart and dedicated as Linus but maybe it's because he lives in a climate-challenged country that he spent all that time inside as a youngster :) I agree with Abeluka - it's nice to be in fresh air with the sun on your back sometimes.

DAdeGroot
19-03-2010, 9:55am
Well I know C (and C++ v1), Ruby and some perl, also did Pascal, Modula-2 and COBOL at Uni.

However, I've not seriously coded in 5 years or more.

JazzXP
19-03-2010, 12:03pm
Full software developer, been working in Java, ASP, C++, C#, Objective-C, PHP, MSSQL, MySQL and many others for the past 9 years (plus my CS degree and hobby programming before that).

Slowly working on an iPhone photography app as I get inspiration (so may never actually get released!).

gcflora
19-03-2010, 9:43pm
Well I know C (and C++ v1), Ruby and some perl, also did Pascal, Modula-2 and COBOL at Uni.

However, I've not seriously coded in 5 years or more.

I did Modula-2 at uni as well. A quite enjoyable language.

edgewing
19-03-2010, 9:49pm
COBOL can be concise - or not.

COMPUTE X = (-B + SQRT(B ** 2 - (4 * A * C))) / (2 * A)

The same formula could also be written less concisely as:

MULTIPLY B BY B GIVING B-SQUARED.
MULTIPLY 4 BY A GIVING FOUR-A.
MULTIPLY FOUR-A BY C GIVING FOUR-A-C.
SUBTRACT FOUR-A-C FROM B-SQUARED GIVING RESULT-1.
COMPUTE RESULT-2 = RESULT-1 ** .5.
SUBTRACT B FROM RESULT-2 GIVING NUMERATOR.
MULTIPLY 2 BY A GIVING DENOMINATOR.
DIVIDE NUMERATOR BY DENOMINATOR GIVING X.

This can also be programmed on my HP calculator quite easily :) These days however I have something a bit more grunty to do that with, I work with the research community in the High Performance Computing area. Can be very interesting at times, quite boring at others.

I started 30 years ago with assembler on PDP4 and PDP11/23's. Not too many of them around these days.

Ciao for now

DAdeGroot
19-03-2010, 9:55pm
I did Modula-2 at uni as well. A quite enjoyable language.

Sicko :p

I hated Modula-2. Waaaay too pascal like, and not in a good way.

gcflora
19-03-2010, 10:03pm
Sicko :p

I hated Modula-2. Waaaay too pascal like, and not in a good way.

ROFLOL.

Well, it's like pascal because they're both by Wirth (as you know). Perhaps my soft spot for it stems from working on the gpm (Gardens Point Modular) compiler.

Kym
19-03-2010, 10:40pm
APL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APL_%28programming_language%29) or J (http://www.jsoftware.com/) anyone?
Which are uber kewl!

Or the worst BF (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainfuc#) (You need to edit the link)

jev
19-03-2010, 10:53pm
Real programmers program in assembly. Or perhaps in K&R C :D

farmer_rob
19-03-2010, 11:18pm
Real programmers program in assembly. Or perhaps in K&R C :D

There are other languages?

(I used to write data acquisition code - hand-crafted assembler loops where you'd use different addressing modes to save a cycle or two - which were called from C.)