PDA

View Full Version : $$$$ Don't do this $$$$$

IanB
11-11-2009, 11:43am
A few mouths ago, something like a small screw become lodged under the space bar of my lappy. In the past I have just popped off the key, removed the whatever and popped the key back on: YA CAN"T DO THAT ANY MORE so I have now found out, although I did get all the little plastic bits back together. But now something has let go and this teeny weeny little bit of plastic can't be replaced without replacing the whole key board

Not happy; have not recieved the quote as yet but I'm expecting $130++++:: not going to happen as I will get a $20 plug it in key board for now. The lappy only cost me 500 something $.

SO; DON'T REMOVE THE KEYS ON YA LAPPY; IT WILL COST $$$$$$$$; LOTS OF &^%%*# $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
:( :( :(

Calxoddity
11-11-2009, 12:10pm
D'oh! :D Further product warnings that you also might find useful...
- don't iron clothes whilst wearing them
- wearing of a Superman costume will not allow you to fly
- do not use hair dryer in the bath

Regards,
Calx

ricktas
11-11-2009, 2:12pm
Plants and flowers that you purchase at the Supermarket are generally not Edible, otherwise they would be in the vegetable department.

Know what you mean Ian. My laptop has a missing f12 key

IanB
11-11-2009, 2:32pm
Plants and flowers that you purchase at the Supermarket are generally not Edible, otherwise they would be in the vegetable department.

Know what you mean Ian. My laptop has a missing f12 key

LOL Icouldlivewithoutthef12[noideawhatitdoes]butmissingthespacekeyisarealpain:D; it really mucks up my two typing fingers :o

:)

David Kembrey
11-11-2009, 3:08pm
I am missing the "D" key just fell off

ameerat42
11-11-2009, 4:28pm
Hey Ian B. Take heart. I had to fix some keys on a laptop (B-I-Law's, don't remember brand) and I thought it was a lost cause. I know what you're talking about, but I managed to get it all back and wkg. But you do need a scanning electron microscope to see the parts. I had glasses and a magnifier, and I also practised some bl**p words. Am...

Miaow
11-11-2009, 6:55pm
i poured some wine one day in keyboard it knocked out the the g and H and the space bar only - had to use alt keys :eek: for about 1/2 a day till got a new one lol

seastorm
11-11-2009, 10:46pm
Should be easy to replace the keyboard, I can do it on my Dell lappy no worries. Just have to google some instructions, and get the part off eBay :)

jamalnic
11-11-2009, 10:51pm
Ian I also found out it can't be done :(

Di

clm738
11-11-2009, 11:00pm
The techies had mine out heaps of times before it died. Ummmmmmmmmmmm maybe that's what did it in.

enduro
12-11-2009, 1:10am
A few mouths ago, something like a small screw become lodged under the space bar of my lappy. In the past I have just popped off the key, removed the whatever and popped the key back on: YA CAN"T DO THAT ANY MORE so I have now found out, although I did get all the little plastic bits back together. But now something has let go and this teeny weeny little bit of plastic can't be replaced without replacing the whole key board

Not happy; have not recieved the quote as yet but I'm expecting $130++++:: not going to happen as I will get a $20 plug it in key board for now. The lappy only cost me 500 something $.

SO; DON'T REMOVE THE KEYS ON YA LAPPY; IT WILL COST $$$$$$$$; LOTS OF &^%%*# $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
:( :( :(

I have performed countless successful repairs on laptops, PC's, dishwashers, cars, aircon systems, hearing aids, speakers, cameras, TV's, CD players etc etc. I'm completely unqualified but can easily find and read the repair manuals on the internet. It is entirely likely your keyboard would have been easily removed by unscrewing the labelled screws on the underside so you can get to the loose screw.

I recently relocated the repair manual for my HP lappy on the web and replaced a couple of components buried deep within (CMOS battery). Replacing the battery required an entire deconstruction. Interestingly a replacement keyboard was available on the 'bay for about $50 and only required the removal of two screws and a pair of easily accessible clips to remove and reconnect. Compaq, Acer, Dell, IBM lappies all require the same type of removal method the KB.

IanB
12-11-2009, 8:06pm
thanks for all the sympathy LOL I do feel better; just don't try it yourself

yeah I know it can be fixed, but will not bother; and a lot of that is to do with the acer fixer in town not calling back with a quote; :( and Acer still owe me the $100 cash back :(

I will just use a plug in key board for awhile :)

Cheers