PDA

View Full Version : Printing with different ICC Profiles test

wideangle
09-11-2009, 3:12pm
I thought I would run a test and print the same print at a local lab with different embedded profiles. I did this because of my initial question on AP relating to the RAW program, Raw Therapee and selecting the correct ICC profile.

I printed the same photo out in:

1. No Profile
2. Canon sRGB V1.31
3. sRGB IEC61966-2.1
4. Adobe RGB

On screen if I toggle between the different profiles on the same photo, Canon sRGB and sRGB IEC61966-2.1 look exactly the same. I assume the Canon profile is the same as sRGB IEC61966-2.1, they just name it something different - it's what I have been doing all my lab prints since I got my camera. whilst Adobe RGB looks more saturated on-screen.

The actual hard copy prints look identical. The local lab must obviously have their default profile and everything that is uploaded on their machines is overwritten with their profile.

Kym
09-11-2009, 3:17pm
Yes - 2 and 3 are the same.

ricktas
09-11-2009, 3:20pm
I thought I would run a test and print the same print at a local lab with different embedded profiles. I did this because of my initial question on AP relating to the RAW program, Raw Therapee and selecting the correct ICC profile.

I printed the same photo out in:

1. No Profile
2. Canon sRGB V1.31
3. sRGB IEC61966-2.1
4. Adobe RGB

On screen if I toggle between the different profiles on the same photo, Canon sRGB and sRGB IEC61966-2.1 look exactly the same. I assume the Canon profile is the same as sRGB IEC61966-2.1, they just name it something different - it's what I have been doing all my lab prints since I got my camera. whilst Adobe RGB looks more saturated on-screen.

The actual hard copy prints look identical. The local lab must obviously have their default profile and everything that is uploaded on their machines is overwritten with their profile.

Either that or their printing system is colourspace aware and it prints correctly cause they are compensating for the colourspace

wideangle
09-11-2009, 4:29pm
Yes - 2 and 3 are the same.

I find it interesting and confusing why Canon use their own profile based upon sRGB2.1 - is it identical just in a different name? Maybe it has something to do with usage rights or something?

jev
09-11-2009, 8:24pm
I've uploaded the Canon sRGB profile to iccview.de and compared it to the official sRGB profile. No differences. The device manufacturer ID is set to Canon (obviously) and the device model to 'Z009' (instead of simply 'sRGB'). It seems to have a couple of extra colorspace units, but I can't find the differences...

wideangle
11-11-2009, 12:38am
I've uploaded the Canon sRGB profile to iccview.de and compared it to the official sRGB profile. No differences. The device manufacturer ID is set to Canon (obviously) and the device model to 'Z009' (instead of simply 'sRGB'). It seems to have a couple of extra colorspace units, but I can't find the differences...

Great - that's what I thought because on-screen changing between the two I cannot see any differences in colour shift at all.