PDA

View Full Version : Image has no profile

wideangle
07-11-2009, 9:32pm
I have been using a new RAW editor and although it says that the output profile is sRGB, upon opening it, the image has no profile, and right clicking on the image also confirms this. Can you assign a profile to an image that doesn't have a profile?

Also as a side I have noticed that when checking the EXIF data on a TIFF image there are no details of the output profile data, but JPG images do have this information, why is that?

ricktas
07-11-2009, 9:39pm
Yes you can. In photoshop, open the photo.

Click Edit and down near the bottom of that menu is "assign profile"

Actually this makes a really interesting experiment, using a calibrated monitor. If you open a photo and do the above, but keep clicking of different colourspace profiles and watch what happens to your photo. Gives you a good insight into the differences between differing colourspaces and profiles.

wideangle
07-11-2009, 9:45pm
Yes you can. In photoshop, open the photo.

Click Edit and down near the bottom of that menu is "assign profile"

Thanks Rick for your help:)

can assigning a profile be done in another software out of interest?

I am finding it puzzling why the the RAW editor I am using at the moment (RAW Therapee) is not saving the working profile. The program says the "output working profile is sRGB" but upon looking at it there is no embedded profile. Suppose this is going to be a hard one to solve as I'd imagine there wouldn't be a lot of people familiar with Raw Therapee....anyone out there no what the problem could be? As you can imagine it is annoying having to manually apply a working profile to each and every image.

ricktas
07-11-2009, 9:52pm
It should, maybe a menu item or setting somewhere that needs a tick box checked? I only posted how to in PS, cause that is what I am familiar with. Someone else might be able to assist or even Google

wideangle
07-11-2009, 10:13pm
It should, maybe a menu item or setting somewhere that needs a tick box checked? I only posted how to in PS, cause that is what I am familiar with. Someone else might be able to assist or even Google

Yeah I was just generally curious as to devices and software that weren't profile aware if there were other programs that provided a quick conversion. \

I have been through several forums about the issue relating to RT not saving an embedded profile and have seen a few old threads (2007) of people having the same problem as myself regardingthe profile not being embedded .

Not sure what is going on, if anyone out there knows what the go is it would be really appreciated as there is nothing worse than batch processing images that have no embedded profiles:eek:
screen shot example of RT below:
http://www.tryanphotos.com/photos/705617466_L2Ur5-L.jpg

wideangle
08-11-2009, 12:47am
When I use Canon DPP I set the working colour space to sRGB. Upon dong some research as to where it is getting this profile from I found it was in the Canon DPP software "ICC" folder and it says its a "Canon sRGB profile v 1.3.1".......So if I locate the *this* ICC file and use it in RT then I assume that this will be alright? What confuses me is that I thought there is 1 sRGB ICC standard out there, but it seems that there are different versions of sRGB from the camera manufactures themselves (within the canon ICC folder there are over 200 ICC profiles raning from Adobe RGB, wide gamut rgb, colourmatch rgb etc)

ricktas
08-11-2009, 6:42am
Umm on that screen above is your answer right in from of you. You have highlighted the INPUT profile, but below that is Output Profile and it is set to No ICM : sRGB. If you go in there and set an ICM, will it force it to be sRGB ?

jev
08-11-2009, 7:35am
but below that is Output Profile and it is set to No ICM : sRGB. If you go in there and set an ICM, will it force it to be sRGB ?
It seems there are two threads on the same issue. OT should set color management on for it to be able to generate tagged output :)

wideangle
09-11-2009, 11:51am
Umm on that screen above is your answer right in from of you. You have highlighted the INPUT profile, but below that is Output Profile and it is set to No ICM : sRGB. If you go in there and set an ICM, will it force it to be sRGB ?

Thanks Rick, yes I did notice the issue with the output ICC after I posted the above image.

It's funny as the the Canon default sRGB profile is "canon sRGB v1.31" and this is what's embedded in an image file when I use Canon DPP RAW converter as there are no other options to choose a different sRGB profile. I have toggled between "canon sRGB v1.31" and "sRGB IEC61966-2.1" and there is no perceivable difference in colour shift. I have done years of printing at various with the Canon sRGB v 1.31 embedded with no real issues. I wonder why Canon have their own sRGB and don't just use the "standard" sRGB IEC61966-2.1 ICC??

I assume it is safe to locate the "Canon sRGB v 1.31" ICC profile and use this in RT as the colour space output file?

Cheers