PDA

View Full Version : Just brought a PC laptop

Whisky_Mac
06-11-2009, 10:23am
I just brought the Acer emachine. My first laptop and about 15 years since I had anything to do with a PC. The screen looks really weak on the blacks compared to my G4 Macintosh. I brought it so I could have a better look at what I have shot before I pack up and go back to the office. I am not very confident of the values of the screen and will do all my PP on the mac I think.

I would be interested to hear of other peoples experiences.

seastorm
06-11-2009, 11:24am
I bought an Acer a couple of years ago for my missus - the build quality is crap, the screen is worse than my 4 year old Dell, the keys on the keyboard gives a hollow rattle when you're typing on it. Not getting another Acer ever again, even if it's cheap.

Harves
06-11-2009, 11:51am
I bought a HP elitebook 6930p six months ago, never had a laptop before but it's quite useful for when I go away. Not a huge unit, just a handy size with enough grunt to do everything I want.

ricktas
06-11-2009, 2:51pm
Laptop screens are notoriously bad for photo editing as they are usually TN screens (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_crystal_display), and thus CHEAP to manufacture, but also unreliable for colour consistency.

nisstrust
06-11-2009, 3:20pm
Hate to say it but you should have stuck with the macs !

*fanboi* comment :)

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-10041-10146

JM Tran
06-11-2009, 3:45pm
there are laptops out there which are made for photo editing with wider colour gamut than the Macs and with better colour representation - but they are not cheap, you get what u pay for!

Whisky_Mac
06-11-2009, 4:27pm
Yep, I still have Mac and it will be the editor. I brought the laptop to have a better view of what I have shot before I take down lights etc and drive away. I was caught when I shot a picture for a calendar, had tried with light through a scrim and was not happy, so shot with it bounced of the ceiling. Had not noticed the bloke had left the scrim leaning against some shelves.

Packed up, when home to the Mac and noticed a reflection in a part of the image. It took me over an hour to get it out and it was only just acceptable. They though it was lovely so I never mentioned or charged them for the drama.

Hence a cheap laptop were I can view images before I leave. Nothing worse than having to re-shoot/