PDA

View Full Version : 1st Pics with new Camera

Chops
06-11-2009, 1:03am
Gday guys,

Just wanted to share a couple of the pics I took with my new camera. They are all taken using autofocus for the moment, but my wife and I are going to a short course in a few weeks time to learn to get the most out of our new camera. We are both brand new to the DSLR scene, but trying to learn as much as we can, as quickly as we can....but hey in the end its all good fun!

We really want to make the most of it when head over to Canada for Christmas....im sure there should be some picturesque moments over there!!!

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/6876/dsc0123r.jpg

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/2338/dsc0112.jpg

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/3354/dsc0094x.jpg

Analog6
06-11-2009, 5:14am
Those look fine, I like the tree one. What camera/lens(es) did you get?

ricktas
06-11-2009, 8:23am
Good first efforts. Between now and your course starting, check out the New To Photography forum and read the guides to using your camera, and then try some of the challenges, that will help you get off Auto, and understand what each feature/function does and how they interact with each other. But keep posting photos, and learning from the replies, that is the best way to learn.

The FUN forum is our only NOT for critique area, so start posting in the critique forums to get better feedback on composition, settings etc.

old dog
06-11-2009, 9:09am
good start. Canada sounds great...have fun.

Miaow
06-11-2009, 9:14am
Good 1st shots :) Canada sounds great at Christmas :)

Lani
06-11-2009, 9:17am
Congratulations on the new camera, you'll have fun learning how to gt the most from it. As Rick said, use the New to Photography section....you might find you don't even need to do the course! :D

Elana
06-11-2009, 9:19am
The second one is really interesting. Have fun in Canada

seastorm
06-11-2009, 9:25am
I'm with Elana, #2 is a great pic, did you take it at Kings Park at night? :)

Chops
06-11-2009, 9:44am
Cheers guys,

It is a Nikon D5000 that I am using, with the kit lenses for the moment.

Thanks Rick. I have already started reading through the Thread, now its a matter of just getting out there and giving it a go!!

For some reason the 1st of my pics (and my favourite) didnt seem to work, so I will give it another go here!

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/1648/dsc0123g.jpg

Chops
06-11-2009, 9:47am
I'm with Elana, #2 is a great pic, did you take it at Kings Park at night? :)

No it was actually taken up at Heathcote at night. It was funny I still havnt worked out shutter speeds etc, so alot of my pics were coming out with a very blurry effect - doesnt help my defence when my wife goes on and on about how haunted that place must be!!

seastorm
06-11-2009, 11:18am
I think Heathcote was an old mental asylum, wasn't it? Great views but creepy place, I have to agree.... :eek:

Sammi
06-11-2009, 5:56pm
Very nice photos for you firsts, i have to agree with you i like the 1st shot the most,

warren
06-11-2009, 11:07pm
I think Heathcote was an old mental asylum, wasn't it? Great views but creepy place, I have to agree.... :eek:

Not creepy "my Mum lived there for a bit". It really does have some of the best views in Perth.
Quite enlightened of our forefathers:
Where should we put the mentally ill?
Don't know but lets give them a great environment, give them some great bush, give them a view. then give them some care and time to "figure it all out". (They may have faltered on the care sometimes)
Great choice forefathers!

Here is a challenge for all the AP folk (in Perth). I seriously think this is a great photo spot in Perth, good restaurant as well, and a cafe (lots less expensive), fantastic views, different views at different times of the day and a really great kids playground. So all in all a photographers dream!

Chops
08-11-2009, 10:52pm
Not creepy "my Mum lived there for a bit". It really does have some of the best views in Perth.
Quite enlightened of our forefathers:
Where should we put the mentally ill?
Don't know but lets give them a great environment, give them some great bush, give them a view. then give them some care and time to "figure it all out". (They may have faltered on the care sometimes)
Great choice forefathers!

Here is a challenge for all the AP folk (in Perth). I seriously think this is a great photo spot in Perth, good restaurant as well, and a cafe (lots less expensive), fantastic views, different views at different times of the day and a really great kids playground. So all in all a photographers dream!

Well said!

It really does have everything there. Its perfect for us, lets you have a bbq, kids can play on the equipment, grab a coffee and then as you said, when the light permits take some nice photos...
Lots of fun!!