PDA

View Full Version : BAGS!?! What to choose: Lowepro flipside or kata 3n1?

rogklee
05-11-2009, 9:16pm
Hey guys,

I have a dilemma at the moment. My camera gear is starting to grow and so is the weight of the bag. Now, my Crumpler 6 Million dollar bag hurts my shoulders when I'm walking long distances (it's a damn shoulder bag, so stylish but bad for your posture).

Going on a trip to Otways next month and need to get myself a camera backpack. Narrowed it down to two. Lowepro flipside 400 or the Kata 3n1 30. Understand I don't have enought gear to fill each bag completely *yet.....* BUT my trusty girlfriend will help my by putting in "nessecities"!!

So what do you guys think, really need some help to decide which to get.
Price is starting to go into play too, I can get the Kata overseas for about 140AU, but the lowepro here for about 180

Rog

Cheach
05-11-2009, 11:14pm
Picked up my Lowepro Flipside 400AW last week and loving it. what I love about is that I don't have to take the backpack off to access all my gear.

mikec
06-11-2009, 12:23pm
I have a dilemma at the moment. My camera gear is starting to grow and so is the weight of the bag. Now, my Crumpler 6 Million dollar bag hurts my shoulders when I'm walking long distances (it's a damn shoulder bag, so stylish but bad for your posture).

A good tip for your crumpler is to buy one of the shoulder pads that they use on their messanger bags, it has so much more padding than their camera bags.

I bought one of their messanger style bags for work and the pad was way too big on it so I swapped it with the one on my 7 million dollar home, now each bag is so much better to use. Maybe try it in the store before buying a whole new bag?

rogklee
06-11-2009, 6:29pm
Mikec,

Yup, thought of that just before I got my bag. My strap has stacks of padding so its good. But its the weight of the bag itself, just too heavy to hold as a side bag.

Not hurting because it cuts into the shoulder but because it just pulls down on it too much.

Gonna keep the Crumpler for short trips, but for longer hikes and stuff, gonna need a backpack I think.

Rog

PS. Went out and had a look at the Kata today, the side opening mech seems pretty cool and easy to get to, but lacks a tripod holder which sucks. Also much more expensive here in Australia.

rogklee
07-11-2009, 4:54pm
Hey guys,

Bit the bullet and bought the flipside... JUST THEN. It's a cool bag, just gotta figure out how to set up my gear now....

Natsky
08-11-2009, 8:23pm
Got here too late to add my input on the Kata (which does have an additional tripod holder now). Hope you enjoy the Lowepro anyway!

scorpy
12-11-2009, 10:29am
Oh what a pity.. you already went and bought it.

I was going to say you might want to consider the Kata bag because it has the additional option of inserting a trolley so you wont have to suffer carrying the heavy bag (once you get it fully loaded with a lot of heavy L lenses!). After having a Lowe Pro Rover AW (an even bigger bag pack) and carrying that everywhere overseas, I (my shoulder) appreciate having something that you can just wheel around. The Kata bag has the option to insert/remove the trolley which Lowe Pro doesnt. But if this doesnt bother you, then the Lowe pro you bought is still a very good bag.

kwokask
12-11-2009, 11:03pm
Good choice, love my Flipside 400AW. Ample space, AW cover, tripod holder and design that allows access without putting it down.

peterb666
13-11-2009, 8:18pm
I have the Kata DR-465 which is a small 2 compartment backpack style bag. Initially I was looking at the Lowepro Fastpack 200 and Flipside 100.

I went with the Kata as I could see my quite small camera (Olympus E-P1) falling out accidently. The Kata is a far more secure option as the bag splits in half and the camera comparment angles down at moderately gental angle. The other reason I went with the Kata was that they were more generous with dividers I have 6 cells to take pretty much anything I need.

The Kata DR-465 would be too small for a full sized dSLR and several long lenses, but there are two larger models that also include a compartment for a laptop. I thought the Kata was not only better designed than the Lowepro bags, but better value. I have bought Lowepro bags and pouches exclusively for the last 8 years so the change was significant.

Cheers

Peter

cruisie123
13-11-2009, 8:57pm
I bought the flipside 200, but mine is accessable from the back. I like this backpack because no one can be slipping their slippery little fingers in to my bag while standing around the airport or elsewhere!! I looked at the sling version, but find that carrying a bag weighted mainly on one side is no good for my back/neck either...but now, (just for the ease of access issue and the fact that I usually use a backpack handbag) Im thinking of getting a sling bag as well just to use for those quick 'get out around town with my camera' trips...and I guess I will then decide which one is best.

DJT
13-11-2009, 10:49pm
good choice Roger, i have the flipside 300 which is a great bag & wish I'd have gone the 400 now. the 300 is just big enough, but not big enough if that makes sense & can get a bit uncomfortable after a while when fully loaded. The 400 being a bigger bag looks like it would be more comfortable fully loaded.
I might look at selling the 300 next year for a bigger bag.

cupic
13-11-2009, 11:12pm
I have a lowepro 200 and 300 love em both but glass is expanding and will look at 350 or 400 in the future

cheers

rogklee
15-11-2009, 9:56pm
Yah,

Was going to get the 300 but since I also throw stuff like tops and girlfriends make up etc. in there, got the larger 400 flipside. Other factor was the security because you can only open from the back.

Price was also cheaper too.

MrTypeR
16-11-2009, 12:15am
i just ordered a 400 off ebay for $120US... not a bad price i think?

what are people paying for them?

jasevk
16-11-2009, 12:18am
I have the lowepro flipside and just love it!

rogklee
16-11-2009, 12:35am
I got mine Australian for $170 at a camera action but had to do quite a bit of haggling to get that price (called about 5 diff shops to price match)

GhostMerlott
13-01-2011, 3:53pm
Hi, do you guys know which online sites can I get some good deals on Kata bags?

Nicholas Brennan
24-01-2011, 9:25pm
Hi, do you guys know which online sites can I get some good deals on Kata bags?

* removed - site rules breach - admin *

Nicholas Brennan
24-01-2011, 9:28pm
rogklee, please let us know how you find this as I recently acquired a Kata 3N1-33 and find it a little uncomfortable - I do like the side access though and was not sure how the Lowpro rear access would work.