PDA

View Full Version : Free Ephemeris Software

kiwi
05-11-2009, 2:49pm
Just came across this very cool, and freeware, photographers ephemeris software, http://stephentrainor.com/tools (http://stephentrainor.com/tools)

Its integrated with Google Maps so you an put in a location, and see overlaid on that map exactly what lines the sun and moon are going to rise and set on. You can also put in any given period of the day and see where the sun and moon will be.

Really useful tool if you want to find out on what day the moon is going to be rising over a certain building or part of a landscape and also how high in the sky it will be at a certain time.

Even uses the elevation of the point on map.

Prang
05-11-2009, 8:38pm
Great find Kiwi That has to be the single most useful piece of software out there.

dbax
05-11-2009, 9:40pm
WOW how good is that!!!!! Thanks Kiwi.:th3::th3:
I saw some thing similar on a photo location map posted by one of the Qlders for the S.S.Dicky meet and wondered where the hell he got that info.
Fantastic:th3::th3:

DAdeGroot
05-11-2009, 10:32pm
I thought everyone knew about that, which is why I'd not posted about it previously. Guess I was wrong.

kiwi
05-11-2009, 10:36pm
lol, there's probably lots of stuff like that

chrisbevan4
05-11-2009, 10:38pm
Kiwi

This is great, just need to hope the weather is right for the kind sunrise/set
photo you want to take

Chris

beaco
24-05-2010, 11:21pm
Thanks for the link. Not sure how much I'll use it though. I wonder if there's a version for windows mobile

cupic
27-05-2010, 10:57pm
Thanks for the link. Not sure how much I'll use it though. I wonder if there's a version for windows mobile

Its available for Ipad Iphone and Ipod from Itunes @ $12 for those interested for on the go or free on PC Mac's

cheers

Astroman
28-05-2010, 6:27am
I just used my GPS and Star mapping software, which has all that info, great page though, will come in handy for some. Looks like it shows it up reasonably clear too... added to bookmarks....

EdZz
29-05-2010, 1:35am
available on iphone? awesome! Definitely checking this out!

Captured Exposure
29-05-2010, 11:47am
A great tool, have been using it for sometime. Good used in conjunction with Google earth as well.

arthurking83
29-05-2010, 11:54am
.... I wonder if there's a version for windows mobile

I used to use a program called Ephem 1.0 or something similar. haven't loaded it to my PDA for a few years, but the fact that I still have the program saved on my PC means that it worked quite well.
if it didn't I'd have deleted the executable off my PC, as well as the program from the PDA.

it does say it's made for WindowsCE, and I have WM2K3, and I don't know if it'll work on WM6?

I'm going to need a new PDA soon, as I'm slowly killing my old(8year old) Toshiba E800.

mpot
01-06-2010, 2:59pm
I've been using The Photographers Ephemeris for a few years now - it's a great bit of software, and recently was released for the iPhone too.

I recently blogged about TPE and several other alternative software apps that provide similar functionality - see here (http://martybugs.net/blog/blog.cgi/computer/Sun-Applications-For-Photographers.html) for more info.

Raptor Reptiles
21-07-2010, 10:56pm
Thanks saved the link and may come to some good use one day

dieselpower
22-07-2010, 2:08pm
it does say it's made for WindowsCE, and I have WM2K3, and I don't know if it'll work on WM6?

I've got WM6.5 on my device, works fine. It's a bit clunky to drive with fingers but gets the job done.

arnica
22-07-2010, 6:34pm
This is a great application! I just installed in and am already using it to play where I will be setting up camp for sunrise/sunsets ...

Great find!!!!

jeffde
28-07-2010, 12:10pm
Thanks Darren
Just installed this and its great for preplanning. For example i now know that the sun will rise (and where) at 6:28am for the Bathurst 12 hour, which starts at 6:15 in 2011. Helps to preplan my very early morning... Going on hols next week to Townsville and Hamilton Island and planning my sunrise shots already.
This is a great program.