PDA

View Full Version : Damned annoying mouse(again)

arthurking83
04-11-2009, 8:20pm
having a few issues with my mouse(y).

Wireless M$ product(with a wireless keyboard) that just worked perfectly from day one, for about the last 6 or 7 years.
Then one day, the mousey started to do funny things, mainly with the left click button. Changed batteries, tested batteries, all is good. But mousey still refuses to click, and I usually have to click about 2-5 times to do anything.. what's annoying, is that sometimes I click 'too fast' and it turns into a double click, and welll ... it's damned annoying(as the title alludes to).

Keyboard has been splediferous in all this time!

That was on WinXP. So I have no idea on what's changed, and just assumed that it was the mousey getting old and decrepit. A new mouse was acquired, another M$ wireless thing.. which integrates perfectly with the old hardware(kb and USB wireless dongle thingo), and this one was a higher end maouse with 'higher precision' optics and so forth.
Same effluence!

About a week ago, I then installed Win7 and the mouse has been the same. .. but this time worse!

All drivers have been updated, I installed Intellipoint to access the uber quick buttons, I uninstalled and re-installed, and so forth, and still the same thing.

Now(with Win7), as well as the having to click 2-5 times issue, the mouse pointer drags across the screen as it feels fit too! one moment it's gliding across smoothly and linearly, the next it decides it want's to slow down across any random part of the screen. No pattern to it(which is the most annoying part) sometimes small mouse movements cause a swirly stuttering, and other times it's OK.

I haven't made any hardware changes at all before the mouse started to act up(on WinXP), and the only thing I can assume is that there may possibly be an interference issue form one of my neighbors who are both 10 meters either side and of course there's the interference killing walls and bricks and suchlike to contend with.(so it's a long shot, but not impossible)

No other devices have been acquired/installed/or recently used either.

Using task manager, I see no performance issues, Win7 is running sweet and fast(with minimal use of resources.
Mouse is connected via a USB-PS2 adapter that came with the mouse as I had issues at first in using the mouse via a USB connection. It's been connected that way since day one, with no problems.
I tried to connect it via the USB port again, but it doesn't want to work(even though USB mouse is enabled in the bios).

Curious as to whether anyone else has had mouse issues and how they've resolved them, or any other tips and tricks that tech gurus may have too(ie. what and where else to start looking)

it makes net navigation a PITA, and I frequently give up early on, and just go out and slam another nail in the coffin.

The other PITB I'm having is that HP haven't yet released new Universal Driver for their printers yet, and the Win7 driver is basically useless(doesn't allow any of the advanced features that the HP drivers did, even though the HP drivers were overbloated.
Tried printing to a simple 4x6 print format, for my son and his images which ended up a monumental effort in wasted 4x6 photographic paper(he was trying to make personalised pokemon cards.
The paper itself isn't the issue tho, they came free with my last set of Canon printer inks!
And hows this for stupid marketing nonsense too: Canon had/have this photo printing kit called the Photo Value Pack(CLI-8) which comprises 240 sheets of 4x6 270GSM Photo Paper Plus Glossy, and the four photo ink cartridges, and it cost about $90. Each individual photo ink cartridge costs about $25-$30 depending on where you shop(we're talking genuine Canon ink here, not thirdparty stuff).

.. anyhow.. hoping someone has a tip for the mouse issues.

Lani
04-11-2009, 8:32pm
Hey Arthur....no solution but have been experiencing similar mouse issues....slow to click, double click too fast, dragging etc. I also did the change batteries numerous times, reset the wireless thingy. I am using XP...but is also a M wireless mouse. Funny thing is that it doesn't do it all the time.:confused013 I am considering going back to corded mouse to see if that solves it....drastic measure I know!

I @ M
04-11-2009, 8:43pm
Cake crumbs under the optical sensor will do it every time ------ :p

I @ M
04-11-2009, 8:47pm
But more to the point, I reckon I have the consecutively serial numbered M$ wireless keyboard and mouse as you AK.
Keyboard works like a charm and has done so for about 5 or 6 years and hardly ever replaced batteries but the mouse died about 6 months into ownership.

I bought a $5.00 delivered corded mouse ( non optical ) from ebay and it won't die either to give me an excuse to buy a new one.

arthurking83
04-11-2009, 8:54pm
Could be all that cheese I tried feeding it!? .. where it's no so satisfied, that it doesn't need to beg any more.

with the new mouse I got, it came with the USB wireless dongle, so I'm going to try that now, the other step I want to try is to connect it to the kids laptop, and see if there is any issue(and then connect their portable wireless laptop mouse to this PC to see if there is any hardware issues to be aware of.

Funnily I did have a mouse issue over 5 years ago, when I added a USB-serial driver(device and driver for my GPS), which affected the mouse, and the solution was a simple text addition to some Windows file on the C drive. Can't remember exactly the text required(and a google find will solve that) but I haven't connected the GPS, nor added the USB-Serial adapter, so that's not the issue.

Almost kind of like a virus(could it really be that Windows IS a virus), but the PC is definitley clean, and it's been like that from day one on the new Win7 install.

I wouldn't think there's a bandwidth, or pc speed issue as the mouse uses so little system resources, it's not a USB bandwidth issue as the mouse is still connected via the PS2 port.

ricktas
04-11-2009, 9:16pm
Take said mousey out for a friendly visit one day to a friends and see how he plays with their PC. Process of elimination. If mousey plays well with others, then mousey is not issue, investigate further.

MarkChap
04-11-2009, 9:21pm
I use an acer cordless mouse and keyboard,
the mouse from day 1 has had a nearly unquenchable hunger for batteries and periodically exhibited the same type of issues.
Have recently changed back to a corded optical mouse and have not had a single trouble since.

The keyboard works perfectly and I hardly ever have to replace the batteries

arthurking83
04-11-2009, 9:35pm
Yeah the kb barely uses any batteries, but I do specifically use those brilliant Energiser lithiums for the mouse(needs 2). More so for the weight savings than just purely for the annoyance of DBS. They last upwards of 6months, up to about a year with heavy use(when I'm using the PC, that is).

I think I sorted this problem out tho.

I just connected the mouse specific USB wirless dongle that came with the mouse, I initially used the dongle that came with the other mouse and kb package, and it connected OK.. but it seems doesn't work exactly the same.

BUT!! it may not be as simple as that(the USB dongle thingy) yet, as after I booted up, and I now finally have a USB mouse connection at boot up time(yay!), and windows loaded, it also loaded another driver, even though I installed all the drivers and updates, and software.
(why the need for another driver is beyond my comprehension?) .. but as it stands, the mouse is now fluid, linear, and a single click actually works).

I'm going to revert back to the other USB dongle again just to see if that's the issue, and at least I know that it can work, that this new mouse is not some macabre genetic mutation with an ear on it's back (http://declubz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/mouse-human-ear.jpg).

:)

seastorm
04-11-2009, 11:29pm
Being a wireless mouse, I would consider any interference around, ie did you recently install a cordless phone or get a new one, or put something close by where the signal from the mouse could be interfered?

Invictus
05-11-2009, 10:37am
Being a wireless mouse, I would consider any interference around, ie did you recently install a cordless phone or get a new one, or put something close by where the signal from the mouse could be interfered?
Given the info about the problem, I would be looking at this aspect too.
Also - check if USB keyboard/mouse support is correctly set in BIOS.
As Rick mentioned: test on another system to determine if it is a problem with the PC or just the KB+Mouse.