PDA

View Full Version : Shooting a Pole Dancer

Paul G
01-11-2009, 1:28pm
A friend of mine has asked if I could do a few shots of her on her dance pole tomorrow afternoon to use on her Hen's night invitations.

I have minimal equipment at the moment and will be forced to use my kit 18 - 55 VR on my D200 for this.

The shoot will be in her bedroom where the pole is set-up which means natural light through one window and the room's main incandescant light are the only light sources at this point. I'm thinking B&W will work OK with the ambient light.

Also I'm thinking of making my own lightbox using a floor level halogen light through a box with a coloured celophane panel on the front to ad some mood (and maybe keep the room a bit darker if I use this?)

There aren't many topics on here featuring pole-dancing but what I have seen has given me a couple of ideas. I'm expecting I will have to bump up the ISO number and use a tripod due to my slow lense but apart from this can anyone offer other suggestions?

Bill44
01-11-2009, 2:15pm
If you were a bit closer I'd offer to come and help.:D

Bill44
01-11-2009, 2:15pm
Mucked up my edit.

kiwi
01-11-2009, 2:25pm
lol, I was thinking the same, and I am closer, lol

Who has a pole in their bedroom anyhow ?

Paul G
01-11-2009, 2:39pm
Who has a pole in their bedroom anyhow ?

The 19 year-old I'm shooting does :th3:

It's arbitrary though....it could be in any room of a house!

Lani
01-11-2009, 2:41pm
Depending on what colour her bedroom walls are, rigging a white sheet on the wall opposite the window might give you a bit of reflected light into the shadow side?
Also be careful shooting too wide, as distortion might become problem.

Paul G
01-11-2009, 2:44pm
Thanks Lani
The sheet's a good idea if I can rig it up and I was thinking about focal length too - wanting to keep upper and lower body in proportion and perspective.

Lani
01-11-2009, 2:46pm
Keeping the camera level will help, it gets exaggerated when you tilt it.

wazonthehill
01-11-2009, 2:49pm
If you able to down onto the subject, you can take a bright light, like a halogen flood light, and have it out of site bouncing of the ceiling.
Be careful going to slow as your subject may blur, and a tripod is often to limiting for this work.

ricktas
01-11-2009, 3:20pm
Don't forget to use the bed. Nah..I am serious. Stand on the bed and get some shots, so that they are not all taken from normal human standing height. Also get down on the floor, and shoot upwards.

bobt
01-11-2009, 3:28pm
If you able to down onto the subject,

One has to choose one's words carefully as well as the camera's settings!!:cheeky33:

wootwoot
01-11-2009, 7:21pm
good opportunities u have there?!!!

I'll also offer help if I was nearer... :rolleyes:

Prang
01-11-2009, 9:50pm
Good luck with the shoot Paul and dont forget to post the results here to!!:o

Paul G
02-11-2009, 7:39pm
Well unfortunately this is postponed until tomorrow afternoon so I have nothing for you all until then ;)

I @ M
02-11-2009, 8:29pm
Well unfortunately this is postponed until tomorrow afternoon so I have nothing for you all until then ;)

Gives you plenty of time to run to the nearest store and grab a 35mm F/1.8 ----- at least that is a sound theory to propose to the wife / girlfriend / mistress for the purchase. Hang the expense, if all three above get on with each other and agree on the purchase, be really game and get a 50mm F1.4 at the same time. :D

Paul G
02-11-2009, 9:31pm
If only the tax refund would hurry up and get here....but most of that has to go to pay off the credit card and other debts :angry0:

Paul G
04-11-2009, 4:07pm
The first few pictures from this shoot are here (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=42980).