PDA

View Full Version : Photo from Zeiss Camera

davidd
29-10-2009, 1:14pm
Well, I tried the Zeiss on the weekend, with mixed success. At least it seems to work, the shutter speeds seem OK.

A few things I've learnt, for anyone planning to use one of these old cameras:

1. Remember to wind the film on between exposures.
2. REMEMBER TO WIND THE FILM ON BETWEEN EXPOSURES! :o
3. Focussing is extremely hit and miss, you just rotate the lens to the correct distance marking (min 2 metres) and hope. I see now why so many of my father's photos seemed blurred!
4. The shutter is so quiet when it fires, I first thought I hadn't cocked it, and did it again (double exposure #1!). The second time I pressed the shutter button it made a faint click, and I realised it had fired first time too.
5. Depth of field in not great, the lens is 105mm focal length, which by my calculations is about the equivalent of a 28mm on 35mm film, or 18mm on my D300 (so it's quite wide). I would have expected the depth of field to be a bit better at f8.
6. I used my D300 as a light meter, I set the ISO to 100 (LO-1) and set the aperture to match what I set the Zeiss to, and set the Zeiss shutter speed to match the D300. The Exposures seem slightly over-exposed, so maybe the shutter is dragging slightly.
7. For a camera that takes such a large negative (6x9cm) the camera itself is very small. Folded it will fit in a large pocket, and I found it very light to hold, which made holding it still at less than 1/60 sec more difficult. I was holding with both hands on the body (the shutter button is on the left), and it felt odd not holding the lens to stabilise the camera. I guess I'm used to the size and weight of the D300.

Anyway, at the end of the exercise, the camera still works, and I will shoot a roll of film at Christmas time, in memory of my father. I may try to get black and white film for this exercise.

Anyone have any more tips (specially about focussing and framing)?

MattC
29-10-2009, 3:28pm
Hi David - just read through your other post - what a great thing you are doing!

I got hold of a manual folder a while ago, and as you have pointed out, it is not the easiest to master, especially going from digital do everything for you type cameras, but thats half the fun :D

Just wondering if the apperture is stuck, especially if the DOF is very thin, and the photos are generally overexposed?

Anyway, looks like a good start, well done!

Matt

ameerat42
29-10-2009, 3:53pm
Hi davidd. Good to see one of the shots. It's closer to a standard lens equivalent on that camera rather than a 28 mm equivalent. The focal length of the camera is very close to the film diagonal, where most "standard" lenses are set. That means too that on a f/8 setting the aperture would be about double that of a 50mm lens at the same setting. So you might have to stop down some more to get a good DOF. Anyway, thanks for sharing the shot and look fwd to some more. Am...

davidd
29-10-2009, 3:55pm
Hi Matt

No, the aperture seems OK, I looked through it with the back open and fired the shutter a few times, and you can see the different size apertures, when you shoot on 'Bulb' setting. It is only f6.3 wide open, so not very fast.

If anything the shutter may be a bit slow, due to dirt/age, it is not a lot over exposed, about 1/2 stop I guess. I shot the same scene 3 times, with aperture of f8 and speeds of 1/30 (indicated correct by the D300), then 1/60 and 1/125, and the last two were increasingly under-exposed.

davidd
29-10-2009, 4:04pm
Hi Am

thanks for the explanation, I was guessing about equivalent lenses. I will have to try stopping down to f16 of f22 next time, but I think I will need faster film (I used ISO 100).

Krzys
31-10-2009, 6:45pm
thats a bit extreme for a folder...

Krzys
06-11-2009, 1:38am
Something that just came to mind is that maybe your film is not sitting properly flat. This could be from a lack of tension, improper winding or a faulty pressure plate, if folders even have pressure plates..

105mm 6x9 = 50mm on small format.

The depth of field should be fine at f8. Absolutely.

Analog6
06-11-2009, 8:01am
Yes, I can identify with remember to wind on the film. I have some lovely unintentional double exposures from the Seagull TLR! LOL.

davidd
06-11-2009, 8:18am
Thanks Krzys, I will investigate the film winding tension and flatness.

GlennSan
06-11-2009, 4:25pm
I will have to try stopping down to f16 of f22 next time, but I think I will need faster film (I used ISO 100). That will help with DOF/focus of course. Some 400 ISO film and you're good to go.

thats a bit extreme for a folder... huh? What are you referring to Krzys?

Something that just came to mind is that maybe your film is not sitting properly flat. This could be from a lack of tension, improper winding or a faulty pressure plate, if folders even have pressure plates..

105mm 6x9 = 50mm on small format.

The depth of field should be fine at f8. Absolutely.
I have the same camera and it does indeed have a spring-loaded pressure plate. 105 is the "standard" lens and FOV for 6x9 but it will naturally have a much shallower DOF then a standard lens for 35mm or digital at the same aperture setting. This is one reason MF lenses are used. Less DOF all else being equal. Great for isolating subjects.

My experience with mine - YES, winding needs to be a methodical process. Either wind on immediately after EVERY frame or only wind on just before EVERY exposure. It's the consistency that will eliminate missed or doubled frames. I also read somewhere that film flatness is typically better with one approach than the other, but I can't remember which was better :confused013

The albada viewfinder is a dodgy approximation at best. Aim and pray is my motto when using it. You have a lovely big neg so allow some space all around :th3:

Infinity focus point might need to be adjusted if the lens has ever been disassembled. Search the web for the mechanics of how to do this if interested.

Did you use a tripod? My first couple rolls were handheld and a little soft. I've recently shot a roll all on tripod and I'm keen to develop the roll to see if sharpness has improved.

All that said - good on you for the effort and the fun you're having.

Krzys
06-11-2009, 5:03pm
Ahh I just meant that from what I can there are 3-4 leaves on focus at f/8. So there is a problem since im sure there are other leaves on the same plane of focus. Even at 6x9 the depth isnt that shallow so stopping down further is extreme.

Can you show any other photos?

GlennSan
06-11-2009, 5:28pm
ok, I understand now. The single rough print and proof sheet in the original thread about this camera's of davidd is all I have at the moment. They were printed when I last had a darkroom and I can't scan 120 at the moment.