PDA

View Full Version : Review of Canon 7D

Tricky
27-10-2009, 11:20am
Having started discussing my views on the 7D in another thread (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?p=425073#post425073), I thought I'd gather my thoughts in one place in the review section where I can add/reconsider as I get more familiar with the 7D over time. At the time of first writing the review below, I'd had the 7D for 2 weeks and taken just under 2000 images. For reference, my old camera was a Canon 40D.

I'd be very interested to hear other 7D users' thoughts and experiences, so please feel free to add your comments. In particular, I'm interested to hear about useful features and settings that you've come across, as the 7D's depth of options is way beyond my old 40D.

Good:

- Fast AF. Locks in and holds the focus. Seems to hit perfect focus nearly all the time. That said, I don't do birding much, so perhaps not really testing it. However, it seems to lock in focus easier when shooting macro images in low light, which is a great bonus for me (though I shoot mostly manual for macros, AF is helpful for insects in flight etc)

- Absolutely no lag anywhere, whether its when pressing the shutter button or operating menus etc, the camera is lightening quick

- Excellent image quality. Might not be as good as 5D2 (particulary in low light), but in good light shooting ISO100 or 200, the 7D is excellent

- ISO 1600 is perfectly useable, better than ISO800 on 40D

- Wireless flash trigger makes it easier to handhold a flash when shooting macro. Brilliant.

- The new menu system ("Q button") makes it really easy to change settings. I can change auto exposure bracketing with two clicks, really handy for HDR work.

- Love the LCD - much better than 40D

- Like the AF microadjust feature which the the 40D didn't have

- HD movie quality is very good, more than what I need for happy family short snippets.

- The extra megapixels (18MP) do give some extra flexibility when cropping.

- The 7D feels very well built and solid. All the buttons etc 'feel' right.

- Battery life is incredible. Presume it is on the 5D2 too, as its the same battery. I've taken 841 shots with the current battery in my camera and its still reading 34% full, so should be good for over 1000 shots. Won't need more than the 2 batteries I've got (I had 4 for the 40D). The battery indicator function is pretty useful too, so you know exactly how much life is left.

Not so good:

- the AF system, though very good, is initially quite complex to get your head around and set up. There's more zones and options and sensitivity settings than I know what to do with (I suspect that anyone who isn't initially happy with AF performance probably hasn't mastered how to configure the AF settings for their needs). It'd be interesting to hear other user's views on what settings they've arrived at for different types of photography.

- the grip seems to have more of an 'edge' than the 40D, so doesn't feel as comfortable. Might need to get the battery grip.

- the file sizes are enormous. Raw files are around 25MB each. And 1 minute of HD video is around 300MB+. A 16GB CF card fills up in no time.

- Whilst shooting videos, the camera doesn't maintain autofocus on the subject. You can re-acquire autofocus using liveview whilst filming, but its a bit clumsy and takes several seconds (someone suggested this is improved in firmware update 1.09??). So, if your subject walks around, then you either have to manually refocus whilst filming, or stop the clip/reacquire focus/restart the clip. I believe all DSLRs with a video function currently suffer from this limitation (presumably this is the final development step still to be conquered?). Of course you can extend depth of field by shooting video in manual and using a small aperture - works OK, but clearly not as easy as auto-exposure, particularly when filiming a scene with variable light, and you forego some bokeh.

- Audio in video mode is awful... I'm sure all DSLR cameras with video are. I'll definitely buy a cheap external microphone to slot into the hotshoe. I guess its a positive that the camera has an external mic input socket...

Conclusion:

Overall, I'm delighted with the 7D so far. Great all round camera and probably even better if you intend to use it for birding or action photography. At its pricing level in Australia, I think it's an absolute steal...

Colourised
28-10-2009, 2:04am
very good to hear that! thnks for the review tricky!

donmcg
09-11-2009, 5:08pm
good information as im considering a similar upgrade, cheers :)

einesonne
11-11-2009, 11:11pm
I am thinking of upgrading as well. How much is Aus price just for the body??

einesonne

Tricky
13-11-2009, 10:43am
I am thinking of upgrading as well. How much is Aus price just for the body??

einesonne

Hi there

NG Systems - an AP forum sponsor - had Aus stock for $2275 a few weeks ago. If you click on the "sponsors" button above, there should be a link to NG Systems.

einesonne
14-11-2009, 8:42am
Hi there

NG Systems - an AP forum sponsor - had Aus stock for $2275 a few weeks ago. If you click on the "sponsors" button above, there should be a link to NG Systems.

thanks for that info!:)

Clubmanmc
18-11-2009, 10:20am
id have to say that 3200 ISO is useable...

The focus system is good, but not as good as my older 1D II, 19 points v 45 points is just no comparison
the different focus systems can be helpful, but i have found single point and single point with assisit to be the best for panning...

have had it focus wrongly a few times picking a point in the full auto (all points) mode... in single shot... not ai-focus

the file sizes are getting beyond a joke, it fills a 16 gb card in minutes... but the images are crisp and clean and very very sharp...

all other things are working well... this being my 8th week of owner ship...

M

wideangle
01-03-2010, 10:09am
good practical review you have done there Tricky, thanks for the insights. Since posting this original thread, have you any more insights into the use of your new camera?

Dylan & Marianne
01-03-2010, 1:18pm
thanks for all of that practical info - I'm thinking of upgrading the 40D to this as well - looks like I might need to get used to it for a bit before taking it out to a wedding shoot though

Tricky
01-03-2010, 10:49pm
good practical review you have done there Tricky, thanks for the insights. Since posting this original thread, have you any more insights into the use of your new camera?

Actually, having just re-read what I wrote originally, I think it all pretty much still rings true :D

Very happy with my purchase, its a great camera to use. Still haven't got round to trying it with a grip, but think I will at some stage. Found that I don't use the video feature all that much, after the initial novelty wore off, but useful for the odd family moment (didn't buy an external microphone and won't be now).

Ultimately I'd like the IQ of a full frame camera (with all the other features of the 7D), but I'm happy to wait until a 5D Mk3 comes out AND the price comes down to sensible levels, so hopefully 2-3 years at least.

rwg717
01-03-2010, 11:10pm
Interesting to hear your comments on the 7D, I agree with most of your comments except that I have no experience with video so can't comment on that aspect (sometimes wish they had left the feature off and lowered the camera price).
The quality is excellent as you point out but I would disagree about the grip, I also had a 40D and think the 7D has the most "cling" to one's hand of any camera I have ever used. I have reasonably big hands and lots of "busted" joints and when I stand up with the 7D it just stays there almost locked into the hand and I love this feature.
Heaps of Mpx I like a lot and the AF is just a dream...great camera and thanks for your review, well done:th3:
Richard

jasnat
01-03-2010, 11:21pm
Thanks for the good common sense review Tricky. I'm still tossing up between the7D and the 5DMKII

Eric130152
02-03-2010, 4:56pm
Thanks for those insights Tricky ... I am in the act of purchasing a 7d and your experiences are reinforcing my belief that this is the camera for me at this time in my photographic learning curve. Thanks again
Eric

Tricky
03-03-2010, 8:03am
Thanks for the comments guys, glad you found the review helpful :)

The quality is excellent as you point out but I would disagree about the grip, I also had a 40D and think the 7D has the most "cling" to one's hand of any camera I have ever used. I have reasonably big hands and lots of "busted" joints and when I stand up with the 7D it just stays there almost locked into the hand and I love this feature.

That's interesting. I found the 40D very comfy, but the 7D a little too edgy. I have medium length but thin hands... clearly hand shape makes a big difference.

The times I find the grip least comfortable are when I've got the camera loaded with macro lens, tubes, flash and ring-flash extender, ie at its most heavy. I will buy a grip one day (currently on camera gear purchase hiatus!) to see if that helps, but not sure it will given the grip will add further weight.

kevinj
26-04-2010, 1:47pm
Having my 7D for 2 days now,the first feature I noticed is the viewfinder,as I wear glasses,it is awesome,no more nose smudges on the rear display,so far, a great camera.

dsaini
16-05-2010, 3:44pm
I am considering renting 7D for a week. Thanks for the review, was helpful in my decision.

djpalmer
28-06-2010, 12:15pm
Nice review thanks, have a chance to get hold of one of these for a couple weeks so will have to.

peterking
28-06-2010, 1:09pm
Having bought my first 7D, I now have two, in March I agree with your review.
One thing I can comment on is the battery grip as I bought one with the original purchase. It does add a good deal of weight to the camera but for a guy with not large but chubby hands it is really to carry. Went out last week with it loaded with the 70-200 and mostly carrying it in one hand, no strap, it felt perfectly natural and no strain. If you need the extra battery reserves it is well worth it.

natogden
16-07-2010, 6:37pm
Great camera

darkmerlin
05-08-2010, 12:39am
Thanks for the review - helped me make the decision to buy one :)

nesschris
11-09-2010, 7:44pm
Thank you for the review as I have been considering the 7D for some time now. Much Appreciated.

trigger
15-09-2010, 1:16am
Having had the 7D for about 2 months, its been in my pack / car every day to work.
Been using it as a candidate to replace both my 1D2Ns.
How good is it? every thing above Tricky mentioned.

With the addition of the below observations.

-Built in flash / Wireless flash - +2 to Canon to finally putting his feature in. Saves from having ST controllers or a massive 580ex master on the camera itself!

-AF Fast. But still not as good as the 1D2N series which is about 6 years older?
Did a test in low light and the 7D just didnt cut it vs the 1d2N aging AF.

Now thinking about letting go of the 7D as a longish / high FPS replacement for the 1D2N. sign...

Perfectoarts
25-09-2010, 10:27am
Well I sold my 20D & 40D and purchased the 7D as a second body. What a joy to use and yes, I agree, the AF system is something to learn for sure. Not for the beginner I'd say.
My other beast of course is 5D MKII - which I love to death.
Cannot give any further review at this stage as I have only used the 7D twice now.

Speedway
25-09-2010, 1:57pm
I have had my 7D for 8 months (15000+ actuations) now and agree with your review except I find the camera very easy to hold coming from a 400D with grip. I have not added a grip to the 7D as yet as the battery life is phenomenal at 1200+ actuations with my 18-250 Sigma OS fitted. Also the camera may not fit in the backpack with the grip attached (I have trouble closing it now). I can't give any comments on the video side as I have never used it and also wish they had left it off to reduce the price. In closing I am very pleased with this cameras performance and I am still learning new options.

nesschris
18-11-2010, 7:38pm
I have been considering purchasing the 7D. Does anyone have any opinions on the best walk around lens to buy for it? My interest is mainly landscape but also now spend a lot of time taking portraits of the kids. I am using an EOS 350D at present with the basic kit lens. I have now outgrown this lens and camera especially when it comes to portraits. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Alysia
18-11-2010, 10:01pm
I've been thinking about upgrading to the 7D. Thank you for the reviews, has helped me make up my mind on the camera..

blissful
30-11-2010, 7:17pm
I have been considering purchasing the 7D. Does anyone have any opinions on the best walk around lens to buy for it?

I have the EF-S 15-85mm and consider this lens a great all-around lens for the 7D - equates to 24-136mm on a full-frame sensor.
It's wide enough to do justice to landscape photography and covers a good range for any portrait and family pictures. It's not inexpensive but I don't think you'd be disappointed with it at all.

Pinarelloman
05-12-2010, 7:00am
Of couse there is now the 60D to compare with the 7D.

Elogosha
22-12-2010, 9:21pm
The Canon 24-105mm L f/4 IS USM is the best walk around experienced yet. It's lighter than the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L. It can also do Macro if forced but wouldn't match a true Macro lens.

The 7D is truly a marvelous camera for its price at the top end of the APS-C's. THe 60D would be most practical for those who do more videos. :xmas31:

nesschris
29-12-2010, 8:37pm
thanks Mike for this advice.

Jordan Compte
30-12-2010, 8:43pm
in regards to the audio with video.

I'm going to be purchasing one of these, and if you want good HD audio files to go with the HD video I highly suggest you investing in one of these:

H4n
http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4n/

I found that this is one of the best microphones before getting a Rode microphone.

jdreamer
04-06-2011, 10:36am
I find that having the microphone with me is helpful. I 'loaned' my friend's 7D for a weekend over a project and the microphone definitely boost the quality a lot!

Tricky
04-06-2011, 9:57pm
Some 18 months after my original review and I still think it holds true...

However, I think I've learned a bit more since then about my own shooting habits:
- don't shoot much that utilises the 7D's trick AF system (eg birding or sports)
- shoot most of my macro with the MPE-65, where diffraction kicks in pretty early (anything above f/11 is visibly affected) on a tightly packed sensor such as the 7D's...

The above is leading me towards a full frame camera... either a 5D2 or maybe hold on for the elusive future 5D3...

Ozspeed
28-06-2011, 9:56pm
I too have now upgraded to the 7D Tricky.

I found when shooting at a race circuit for the first time, it was easier to go back to the 40D until I had figured out why the camera was soooo sensitive. Any change in light eg: when panning, the exposure went haywire, I was shooting in shutter priority.

In a 30* pan, the exposure changed by nearly 2 stops :eek:. I've since found its easier to shoot action in manual, I just can't get my head around the way it evaluates exposure.

Must be something in the settings ey? :rolleyes:

etherial
01-07-2011, 9:13pm
Have you tried the different exposure metering settings? It will behave differently to what you are familiar with. I actually prefer centre weighted average on my 7D, it seems to get me more predictable results.

Woody08
03-08-2011, 9:56pm
Interesting thread, thank you.

I've just bought a 7D and have only a dozen or so shots so far. It is so much different to my 450D. I think I will have to retire to find the time to learn its nuances.

Cheers,

John W

Speedway
03-08-2011, 11:06pm
The 7D does take a bit of time to get used to but the more I use it the more I learn and the more I like it. After over 18 months I have found using the spot focus best for birding and motor sports, in fact I use this for most of my photography moving the spot around to suit the subject. Shooting Go Karts I can pan up to 200°. For motor sport panning I use Tv @1/90th. For birding I use Av @ F8 and adj. the ISO to suit conditions for both.
Keith.

Adam Randell
24-09-2011, 4:12pm
Great bit of info here guys & gals, I shoot with a 50D & looking to get a second body, hard to decide between the 7D & 5dmkII.
The biggest thing in going to 7D is that all my current lenses will go straight on. If I go full frame I need a new landscape lens...Doh!!
I good to read all the positives here though!!

flashc
26-09-2011, 4:36am
I've had my 7D for over 12 months now and after using a 300D since 2003, the 7D is the best camera I've ever owned. My previous film SLR cameras were Olympus OM2n OM1 OM2sp OM10.
I don't like digital camera noise so I always try to shoot at 100 ISO. Last night I shot a rodeo at 12800 ISO f5.6 -f4.0 1/60-1/125 sec. It was a case of use it or have no photos.
I'm still waiting for a digital SLR with no noise up to 6400 ISO. Maybe the new 5D release will work towards this. Depending on what happens with the next version of the 5D, I may buy another 7D as a second body.

ricktas
26-09-2011, 6:32am
I've had my 7D for over 12 months now and after using a 300D since 2003, the 7D is the best camera I've ever owned. My previous film SLR cameras were Olympus OM2n OM1 OM2sp OM10.
I don't like digital camera noise so I always try to shoot at 100 ISO. Last night I shot a rodeo at 12800 ISO f5.6 -f4.0 1/60-1/125 sec. It was a case of use it or have no photos.
I'm still waiting for a digital SLR with no noise up to 6400 ISO. Maybe the new 5D release will work towards this. Depending on what happens with the next version of the 5D, I may buy another 7D as a second body.

Interesting! You don't like digital camera noise, but film grain (noise) would have have been definitely worse at ISO6400 (not that film was readily available at that speed anyway). I think digital handles higher ISO much cleaner than film ever did.

bitrusty
01-10-2011, 7:58pm
I love my 7D amazing photos from it and feels great in the hand

mors
08-04-2012, 11:14am
Thanks for the review.

abbyp
23-04-2012, 1:03pm
Thanks for reviews guys. Should I get the 7D or the Sony NEX VG20? :)

jdreamer
09-05-2012, 7:59am
7D!! :D

twix
24-08-2012, 6:00pm
I haven`t got the 7 D:hb:,
but I was into Harvey Norman and had a play with it a bit, and vow, the Viewfinder is so clear, I was amazed.
The decition is done, as soon as I sold my CBR Streetfighter project and a few other bits and peaces I will get me one:th3:!
What a nice camera. Love it!

flashc
24-08-2012, 10:12pm
I haven`t got the 7 D:hb:,
but I was into Harvey Norman and had a play with it a bit, and vow, the Viewfinder is so clear, I was amazed.

The viewfinder is very clear as the 7D uses a pentaprism instead of a mirror box to display the image in the viewfinder. The 7D also has a 100% field of view so what you see in the viewfinder is the image that will appear when displayed on your monitor.

You can also have a completely unobstructed and clear view of your subject through the viewfinder as the the grid and focus points can be completely switched off and there are no fixed etchings on the focusing screen as is usual with other camera types.

Next best viewfinder display in brightness in Canon brands would be a 5D Mk III or a full frame such as a 5DMk II.

etherial
26-08-2012, 10:20am
I love the viewfinder in the 7D it is a very nice upgrade to the lower series bodies. The viewfinder is often one of those forgotten specs; some of the other cameras I have used over the years had horrible viewfinders and it was very hard to read the text in them. The top level Canons are very good, I like the vf in my 5D3 as well but the shooting information text is a little smaller than the 7D.

Next best viewfinder display in brightness in Canon brands would be a 5D Mk III or a full frame such as a 5DMk II.

And just to correct to eliminate any confusion for people, the 5D3 is also full frame.

NguyenPix
26-12-2012, 11:00pm
Excellent in depth review!