PDA

View Full Version : Film recommendation

MattC
27-10-2009, 10:23am
Hey all,

I recently was given an old Yashica 35mm camera from my inlaws which they used to own, and I would like to try some street photography with it, as it is small and unobtrusive (plus something different to my digital camera!)

Just wondering if anyone can recommend some B&W film to use with it - I was thinking ISO 400 or there abouts. As the camera is fully manual, I would prefer something with a bit of lattitude, and would prefer something fairly contrasty.
If it can be self deleloped, all the better, as this is something I would like to explore too.

Any help appreciated.

Whisky_Mac
27-10-2009, 10:24am
Ilford

Fantasyphoto
27-10-2009, 11:05am
Ilford HP5 is what I used to use, not sure if it is still available.

MattC
27-10-2009, 12:37pm
Thanks for the replies

Jim - any particular type of Ilford film? :)

hoffy
27-10-2009, 2:02pm
I'd go Ilford HP5+ as well. Can be pushed to ISO 1600 (with the right developer) and can also be pulled.

The other option, which I want to try some more, is Ilford Delta 400. Has a smoother "T" grain. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it

MattC
27-10-2009, 3:32pm
O.k. - well I will have to try out a roll of HP5+ then - thanks for the help.
The next thing will be actually getting out in the street and taking some photos!

Krzys
27-10-2009, 7:54pm
Many great films, find your favorite flavor.

Tri-X
T-max
Neopan
APX
Hp5
Delta

TOM
27-10-2009, 9:52pm
all of the above films are great. t-max has got great latitude (different than it's ability to push). your choice in film will depend on the combination of it and a developer, and the lens used will also determine the final look.

in diafine (not easy to get), tri-x will go around 1200asa, and hp5+ will go around 800. acros will rate at 200, and fp4+ at around 250.

as hoffy mentioned, hp5+ is a great film and can easily push to 1600 and beyond in something like microphen.

if you want contrast, then dilute the developer, hence developing for longer. this will be at the expense of more grain. don't be afraid of grain.

swifty
27-10-2009, 10:47pm
I've only tried Tri-X and T-max so far. Yet to really get a feel of the results haha.
I'm a film newbie too and people have advised me to just pick one and keep using it until you know it inside out. Then move on.

Krzys
27-10-2009, 11:05pm
Rodinal makes me afraid of grain. I have to be careful using it around 35mm :p

mclean8
01-11-2009, 9:53pm
i here ya on rodinal. was recommended to me as an all around developer, but with tri-x 400 there is way too much grain.

so many combinations to try.

MattC
02-11-2009, 9:09am
Thanks for all the info - I went and got myself a roll of both Tri-X and HP5, so it will be interesting how they compare.

Stupid question, but do these have to be self developed, or can you take them to get processed?
My preference would be to self develop, but I don't really want to stuff it up.

TOM
02-11-2009, 10:01am
Hey Matt, two great film choices there. You can get the films developed by a lab, but not just any lab will do traditional black and white. you may have to hunt around, and it may take a week or two to get your films back.

Check out THIS (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=41865&highlight=film+recommendations) link to see how to develop the film yourself. Black and white is a very forgiving film, and it usuall does not require precise temp control. It really is easy, and is all part of the fun of photography.

MattC
02-11-2009, 10:15am
Thanks for the link - great tutorial, much appreciated:th3: - I might pester hoffy to help me once I have have used the film :D

GlennSan
02-11-2009, 1:03pm
All good advice above. Will be keen to see your results.

I'm actually quite fond of using Rodinal with HP5, even in 35mm. I find it suits some subjects well.

GlennSan
02-11-2009, 1:07pm
I'm a film newbie too and people have advised me to just pick one and keep using it until you know it inside out. Then move on.

I think that's pretty decent advice when starting out. If you want consistency, then the process itself is important. Learning the process well takes practice and the less variables involved, the better IMHO. Even with one film and one set of chemicals, there are enough things to go wrong to learn from ;)

batmat
13-12-2009, 3:21pm
Hi :)

I've used both Ilford HP5+ and kodak Tri-X 400.
I've got better results with the Kodak but I think only because of the process. I went to Atkins Technicolor (in Adelaide), and they did a really nice job, even if it cost me 43$ (process & print 13x18cm).
I got my HP5+ processed in a cheap shop back in France, and wasn't really happy with the results. I guess I should have another try with this film & a good process.

So as said GlennSan, take care of the process & show us results :)

doigal
15-12-2009, 1:47am
When i think of B+W ~ISO400 i reach for either:

Rollei Retro 400 (not the newer 400S)/APX 400 (same thing)
Tri-x 400
Neopan 400

StanW
15-12-2009, 8:34am
HP5 is fine, and very tolerant. T-Max can be difficult to process; I never had any success with it.
Get used to guessing your exposure. Remember the f16 rule, and use the depth of field scale on the lens.
Happy hunting.
PS; learn to develop your own film, it's cheaper and more reliable
I don't think there's a lab processing b&w film in the whole of the SOuth Island here.

uglysingaporean
28-12-2009, 7:53pm
Personally I use Ilford Pan 400 quite a lot. It's really cheap and I like the grain. To increase the contrast, I shoot with a red filter attached.

Krzys
28-12-2009, 8:23pm
I've only ever heard of Ilford Pan. I didn't think we could get it in Aus.

uglysingaporean
29-12-2009, 1:15pm
Hi Krzys, ya sorry about that, i forget i'm on an aussie forum. on my recent trip to melbourne, i also realised there's a whole lot of film you guys have fresh while in Singapore we can only get expired rolls.

yogestee
23-01-2010, 2:07am
I'd love to have a dollar for every roll of Kodak Tri-X 400 I've shot from 1975 until 1996.. In my opinion the best B/W film ever made..

What's so special about it is its tonal range, exposure latitude and pushability..