PDA

View Full Version : Is Battery Consumption relative to the lens in use?

mal from cessnock
25-10-2009, 12:00am
Hi board members

I'm picking up a new baby early next week - the Canon 300 F/2.8 and I'm excited.

I'm wondering, given the massive size of this lens relative to the ones I already own - am I likely to be needing backup batteries when using my new baby?

DAdeGroot
25-10-2009, 12:04am
Well it can be - depends on which elements move in the lens and whether you've got IS enabled or not.

Generally, it's a good idea to carry backup batteries regardless of lens choice ;-)

ricktas
25-10-2009, 6:31am
Depends on what you are shooting. Silly answer...no...bear with me. So you are shooting a yacht race going by, the lens is focusing in things that are all about the same distance away, so very little power is needed to refocus slightly for each shot. Now you take the lens and go off in the bush to get some bird shots, your birds range from being a few metres away to 100 metres away (example only). So as you focus shift from one distance to the other, the lens and body motors have to do a lot of work to get to the new focus point, thus using more power.

Carrying backup batteries is a good idea anyway.

kiwi
25-10-2009, 7:48am
Get a couple of 3rd party batteries regardless

In short though the answer is yes

And what Rick said

Kym
25-10-2009, 9:19am
Yes!
There is an article somewhere I read about AF performance on charged vs 1/2 charged batteries.
Any they found significantly different performance, which is important for sports, action and wildlife.
If I remember correctly is was up to 30% slower when the battery was 2/3 flat.

So the AF motors draws current, and therefore the more they need to turn to change focus the more capacity is depleted.

mal from cessnock
25-10-2009, 1:04pm
Thanks Board Members

I suspected as such. I have two batteries for my 5DM2 and three for my 40D - but never seem to have to change them. So maybe this is about to change.

Got any idea as to the price of drop in filters - something tells me they will be hella expensive.

Astroman
25-10-2009, 2:41pm
I was going to say I was using a Canon 70-200 f/4L IS USM lens today and my battery indicator dropped a fair amount, I thought it was because of the IS lens, until I went to change them and noticed I only had a single battery in the grip... I was wondering why it had depleted so quickly...

mal from cessnock
25-10-2009, 5:08pm
Astroman - I don't have a battery grip - never even thought of getting one. Are they handy - save you from changing batteries eh? Do they add much weight to your kit?

JM Tran
25-10-2009, 5:20pm
Astroman - I don't have a battery grip - never even thought of getting one. Are they handy - save you from changing batteries eh? Do they add much weight to your kit?

a grip is indispensible if u plan on using your big telephoto in portrait orientation, its very very hard to shoot with a heavy lens with no grip - and the latter will balance out the camera a lot better, not to mention doubling the battery life.

mal from cessnock
25-10-2009, 7:10pm
Thanx a bunch JM Tran - say $250?

Astroman
25-10-2009, 7:48pm
As JM Tran says they are indispensable. I had my 400D without one for a few months but found it too small so I got the grip, which added the bulkiness to it. Yes it is heavier, but thats great for larger lenses. New they were around $250, you might be lucky to pick one up 2nd hand.

jev
26-10-2009, 6:34am
So as you focus shift from one distance to the other, the lens and body motors have to do a lot of work to get to the new focus point, thus using more power.

Most power is burned starting and stopping movement, not keeping the focus mechanism going. If the lens starts hunting, the power consumption will maximize. Also, when keeping focus in AI or other focus tracking modes, the circuits keeps the power on, it doesn't go in standby. Another issue is image stabilization. IS is quite expensive in terms of power consumption.

However, most of the power consumption is determined by the lens design. I used to have a 28-70/2.8EX that really ate into the power reserves - so much that it caused quite some havoc with a Canon D30.

mal from cessnock
26-10-2009, 12:59pm
Board Members

Thanx for your advices - does using the battery grip effectively double your power reserve (guess you need 2 extra batteries)

I've been told (DDP) that with the generic batteries available, the 5DM2 isn't able to monitor them - so there's no read-out as to battery status. Have you heard this too?

Fantasyphoto
26-10-2009, 1:14pm
..... does using the battery grip effectively double your power reserve (guess you need 2 extra batteries)..........

Nope, you will get more than 2 single batteries worth of shots out of a twin battery grip, the batteries work far more efficiently in tandem.

My last three Canon's have had battery grips fitted, I would not consider using a camera without a grip as it also aids in the balance.

mal from cessnock
26-10-2009, 1:24pm
Thanx bro - this is such an excellent forum - you guys rok!

About the generic batteries - my daughter bought one to compliment the canon battery that came with her 5DM2 and she tells me there's no battery condition indicator - so all of a sudden on a shoot her camera shuts down leaving her high and dry - don't think I'd get generics, but at $130+ for a genuine and $60 for a generic.

Photography is an expensive interest, that's for sure.

Bill44
26-10-2009, 5:30pm
Mal, see what you can track down on this page link, I got a battery for my D90 from them and performs exactly as the original, and a darn sight cheaper.
http://www.duracelldirect.com.au/digital-camera/canon-battery-adapter-charger.html

mal from cessnock
26-10-2009, 11:25pm
Excellent Bill - $35 or so - 3yrs warranty.

Woops! They may not be available for 5DM2 - I've emailed them for info.

Batteries for laptops and much more - great prices!

Ausphotography - way to go!