PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of dust spots in GIMP?

Sarge
21-10-2009, 8:27pm
Can someone please help me by telling me how to get rid of the dust spots in one of my pictures by using GIMP...

I have to use the picture for something important and don't want a dust spot in the way.:rolleyes: The first dust spot is in the centre line to the left in the clouds, and the second one is to the top right.

Here's the picture:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2571/4008073850_0c435d687d_o.jpg
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Tim

Miaow
21-10-2009, 8:32pm
I'm not really good at doing edits like that using healing but i have in the past copied a little bit of the sky area right next to the spot and pasted it over the spots - works ok with plain sky but might be harder on the clouds

Humps n Bumps
21-10-2009, 8:34pm
I'm only a newbie to PP, so I'm sure there will be an easier way.. but have you tried the cloning device?
I'd be interested to hear how people do this too. There's a photo in the forums of a train with dust spots, and then without.. looks awesome!

Sarge
21-10-2009, 8:37pm
Thanks Cathy.

Yeah, I never use PS, so that's why I am asking for help.:o I have read you can do that but how do you do it??

Thanks HNB. I did explore around, found the cloning tool but had no idea what I was doing (see above) and just left it at that.:rolleyes:

Thanks for your help,
Tim

Humps n Bumps
21-10-2009, 8:42pm
I hope you don't mind, but I had a quick play with it in Gimp2.
This is a 5 second fix it.. I'm sure you could do better. I used the clone tool.

Humps n Bumps
21-10-2009, 8:43pm
Just make sure you use the right brush size and it should be pretty simple. ;)

Sarge
21-10-2009, 8:54pm
WOW, that was fast. Thanks HNB. Don't mind at all, thanks for doing so.

So in GIMP 2 you select Clone Tool not Perspective Clone Tool, and then what do you do??

Thanks again,
Tim

Humps n Bumps
21-10-2009, 8:57pm
You're welcome.

Yep. That's it. Clone tool.. Brush size.. Control + Click on the spot that you want to copy, then put the little circle over the dust spot and click. DONE! :D

If you need anything else, just give me a holla. Don't forget to show us when you're done. ... oh.. and great shot by the way. ;)

Sarge
21-10-2009, 9:13pm
Hi HNB, well that was easy to follow, I did what you wrote but when I clicked on the dust spot nothing happened.

What do you do after you click on the dust spot?

Many thanks,
Tim

Humps n Bumps
21-10-2009, 9:28pm
It should just clone it. Have you got the brush size correct so that it is the same shape and size as the dust spot? If it's smaller, you may not be able to see it? Make sure you're viewing at 100%, that makes things a lot easier.

Once you've cloned the spot, change back to curser so the rings disappear, they could be blocking your view.

Sarge
21-10-2009, 9:46pm
Yep, got the brush the right size. It just doesn't seem to go.:action:

Tim

Humps n Bumps
21-10-2009, 9:54pm
okay.. give me a sec, I'll do it again and see if I missed something.

Humps n Bumps
21-10-2009, 10:05pm
Hmmm. Well, you've got me stumped. I just redid it from scratch and it worked fine. Okay, I'll write it again, so I make sure I've got you doing the correct things.

Gimp 2

View at 100%
Click on "Clone Tool"
Make sure the brush size is correct size and shape.
Move your pointer to the area next to the dust spot (area to be copied).
Hold Ctrl and click.
Move pointer to the dust spot and click, move pointer away.
Your dust spot should now be covered.
Do the same for the one in the sky,
Reduce the size of the brush and do the tiny one in the clouds.

Cross the fingers this works for you this time.

Sarge
21-10-2009, 10:14pm
Hi HNB.

Nope that still didn't work. When I have done these instructions :

View at 100%
Click on "Clone Tool"
Make sure the brush size is correct size and shape.
Move your pointer to the area next to the dust spot (area to be copied).
Hold Ctrl and click.
Move pointer to the dust spot and click, move pointer away.

When I move the pointer away the green cross still stays?

I did a simple copy and paste, and I'm happy to say it worked. Here's the end result.

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/1434/3copyr.jpg

Thanks for all your help HNB. I can now put this picture in my calendar to be.:)
Tim

Humps n Bumps
21-10-2009, 10:22pm
Sorry it didn't work mate.. I don't know why??

Don't forget the little tiny dust spot in the cloud too. It's just below where the bigger one was.

Good luck. ;)

Sarge
21-10-2009, 10:35pm
LOL, it's got me confused as well.

Ahh, forgot about those ones. Thanks for pointing that out.

Again, thanks alot for your help.
Tim

Humps n Bumps
21-10-2009, 10:39pm
You are very welcome mate. It was a pleasure. ;)

Seesee
21-10-2009, 11:13pm
I dont use GIMP, but I'm guessing if it has a clone tool in GIMP then there will also be a "Spot Healing " tool as well....maybe looking like a "Bandaide". If so just clicki on the "Spot Healing " tool ...adjust brush size to fit the size of the spot and simply left mouse click over the spot, no need for holding down Ctrl tabs or anything, just click over the spot needing removing.

If you are using the clone tool, and if it's anything like ADOBE software you move your click on the "Alt" key and then the left mouse button....them move over the spot and left mouse click again to remove it....not the Ctrl key.

Humps n Bumps
31-10-2009, 11:28am
Nope, Gimp is the Ctrl key. I haven't played with spot healing tool, but I'll have a look at it.