PDA

View Full Version : travelling gear

OO978
19-10-2009, 11:02pm
hey guys,

im travelling next month to japan, wanted to know if i should get any additional gear to make it easier for me to take photos whilst on the trip.

lugging a tripod sounds quite tiring and bulky, what do you guys use while you guys travel?

I @ M
20-10-2009, 6:51am
My answer/s would be heavily dependant on the particular style of photography that you want to indulge in.
If you are looking at mostly landscape and scenery compositions of every hour of the day and night then I would definitely take a tripod.
If you are more into street photography and candid people shots I wouldn't worry so much.
If you are going for a holiday take a good quality point and shoot camera and a huge supply of SD cards and have a ball, if you are going there specifically to photograph, take everything you own. :D

As a basic travel kit with an SLR I would look along the lines of the camera body and a quality zoom lens with a fast maximum aperture for low light conditions, if you have a full frame camera, something along the lines of a 24-70mm F/2.8 lens or if a cropped sensor, something like a 17-50mm F/2.8 would be a good place to start.

Let us know your type of camera and your choice of subjects, then people will give you a ton of advice ranging from don't take a camera to taking out a second mortgage on your house to buy all the gear you really:D need.