PDA

View Full Version : Where would you recommend to get the K-7

jeeg
18-10-2009, 1:49pm
Hi,

I am intending to get the K-7. Which store (mortar or online) would you recommend to get this cam from, and why?

Are the K-7 we buy in Australia the early batches of the K-7 in production?

Cheers
Jeeg

I @ M
18-10-2009, 8:35pm
Jeeg, it might help to let us know where you are, that way we won't be directing you to a store in Perth if you live in Cairns. :)

Prang
18-10-2009, 8:54pm
This link was left by another member it is to Vanbar with K7's for $1250! http://www.vanbar.com.au/adds/stockclearancesale.pdf

I'm not sure if they were the early ones but I would doubt it as they sold very quickly.

Good luck with it!

jeeg
18-10-2009, 10:58pm
Apologies. I should be clearer in my post.

I am in Perth. Any recommendation apart from vanbar?

Kym
18-10-2009, 11:01pm
http://www.camerastore.com.au/Pentax+K+7+Body+Only_5117_details.htm

JM Tran
18-10-2009, 11:06pm
Camerastore.com.au is pretty much Diamonds under a different facade lol

which is a good thing though, as some stuff on there are cheaper than in the store!

mudman
18-10-2009, 11:47pm
i bought mine from digital fun stuff. the body was 1400 odd but i got a kit of body and 18 - 250 for 2100. although they are in sydney i found them to be very open and helpful. they actually have a shop and thdey havde an address and phone number on their web site. being in canberra i actually went to sydney and visited the shop. Annie, one of the owners was very friendly and kept me informed by phone and email about the progress of my order. i would happily recomend them. cheers

jeeg
18-10-2009, 11:57pm
Thanks. The price in camerastore.com.au is almost the same as in cameraaction and digitalcamerawarehouse.

Do you guys only buy online? Is it a good idea to buy from US?

A fren told me that all K-7s in Australia are the early production runs....not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing...what do you guys make of this?

KevPride
18-10-2009, 11:59pm
One would hope with our Dollar approaching parity with US Dollar the prices for the K7 might come down. Then again CR Kennedy may have some say in that. Sorry to go off subject.

I would stick with a Bricks & Mortar Store in Perth unless the prices force you to shop online - I personally would stay clear of Grey Market retailers - just ensure you check the online stores warranty conditions.

Prang
19-10-2009, 12:00am
If you want to go in and feel it and talk to some one who knows, I would recommend Camera Electronics in Stirling st Perth.

I brought my K-7 of them and a couple of lenses, they are very helpful and have been around since 1971.

When I brought mine they were $1750 and I asked if $1450 was ok and
they said no problems , that was just after they came out.

Cheers Pete

KevPride
19-10-2009, 12:04am
PS there is a K7 on Pentax Forum - it is brand new unused - chap in Sydney $1250.

See the story that goes with it, I think some doubt CR Kennedy will honour the warranty however.

jeeg
19-10-2009, 12:33am
Hmm....the stiring shop that sells the k-7 for 1450 seems quite good...

Are the people there very well verse with pentax gears? i might pay them a visit soon.

Analog6
19-10-2009, 7:39am
Why not use one of the site sponsors?

Kym
19-10-2009, 11:18am
Camerastore.com.au is pretty much Diamonds under a different facade lol
which is a good thing though, as some stuff on there are cheaper than in the store!

Sort of... Photographic Wholesalers (Hutt St), Diamonds and Camera Store (Online) have the same owners but run independently.
They do swap stock, so if say PW don't have an item and the others do - they can get it.
PW are better as they have more DSLR gear and you can haggle on price, Diamonds are retailers for mum and dad.
PW have the fridge with film ;)

JM Tran
19-10-2009, 12:02pm
Sort of... Photographic Wholesalers (Hutt St), Diamonds and Camera Store (Online) have the same owners but run independently.
They do swap stock, so if say PW don't have an item and the others do - they can get it.
PW are better as they have more DSLR gear and you can haggle on price, Diamonds are retailers for mum and dad.

Ohhhhhh I wouldnt say fully independent Kym! the staff exchange is common there, when I was interested in working there last year the manager of PW said I would have needed to start off at Diamonds then move over to PW due to my experience and as a working photographer, then fill in between the 2 stores whenever necessary. Still under the same big boss overall at Diamonds, I forgot his name.

But yes, PW is where everyone on AP should go!

Prang
19-10-2009, 8:41pm

Hutt St is in Perth?

JM Tran
19-10-2009, 9:41pm
no its in Adelaide:)

reaction
20-11-2009, 4:44pm
Any cheap places in Sydney? They're all 1500+ now????

Kym
20-11-2009, 5:14pm
http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=pentax+k-7&spos=3

If that helps

Kym
20-11-2009, 5:32pm
Also: http://www.shopbot.com.au/default.asp?kw=pentax+k-7&position=search

But - check with C R Kennedy to see if they are not //lel importers if you want local warranty

reaction
02-12-2009, 10:19am
Cheapest local warranty is at JB is $1379.

Master12
29-12-2009, 7:52pm
Ted's is selling K-7 bodies at $1,299 right now.

Martin E
13-01-2010, 12:35pm
Not sure if its been suggested, but I got mine with extra battery grip, (which these days I can't live without and remembering that they alone were around $450!) delivered to Darwin for $1840 odd. Not bad I didn't think. That was through digital camera warehouse.

But a site sponsor could be a nice way to go about things...

Kym
13-01-2010, 1:15pm
Pentax battery grip D-BG4 for K-7 is around $220 on eBay (Original) and about $100 for a 3rd party one.

Tonto
14-05-2010, 2:48pm
Just bumping this thead as prices inevitably change so far I'm looking at this deal for Aus warranty K7 and 17-70
http://www.ryda.com.au/Pentax-K7-Digital-SLR-with-Pentax-17-70mm-Lens-p/k7k4.htm
Have seen body pretty cheap elsewhere (DWI in particular) but hard to find a combination with a sigma or pentax 17-70 that comes close.
Anyone bought from ryda? I would prefer an Aus warrenty on the body not so fussed with the lenses.

Kym
14-05-2010, 2:56pm
Try shopbot (http://www.shopbot.com.au/m/?m=pentax+k-7)or static ice (http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=pentax+k-7&spos=3)

Tonto
14-05-2010, 3:38pm
Yay! That shaved abit off! Price to beat now is $1549 - now the inevitable 17-70 sigma vs pentax comparisons, new thread time :o

tim71
14-05-2010, 9:16pm
Tonto,

try digital camera wharehouse

http://www.digitalcamerawharehouse.com.au/
cheers,

Tim

Lili
31-05-2010, 9:23pm
Is it against forum rules to post prices for shops that aren't site sponsors? If not, I'll post my findings from today for anyone else in the same situation as the OP.

Kym
31-05-2010, 9:56pm
Is it against forum rules to post prices for shops that aren't site sponsors? If not, I'll post my findings from today for anyone else in the same situation as the OP.

Tricky. If you are just discussing suppliers then no problem. If you are promoting a supplier then no go.
I usually post Shopbot and/or StaticIce links as they are just comparison sites.

It's ok to ask for an opinion.

also: Forum Rules ...
[13] Members with under 30 days membership and 50 posts cannot post complaints about service/people/organisations/products/businesses, etc. Join in, build up a reputation on Ausphotography and then your views will be allowed.

Lili
31-05-2010, 10:14pm
That's OK, I understand, I knew it would be a close call. I just thought I could save someone else the trouble of doing the ring around for prices in Perth, I have no desire to complain or promote one store over another. Most of the stores I called today don't seem to update their sites, so they either don't list K7 as something they sell, or the price they have listed for the K7 is well out of date, or they have it listed but without a price, so they don't show up on staticice or shopbot. I guess the moral of the story is to get it straight from the horses mouth and call and check for yourself if you're interested ;)

Oh I should probably add that none of the stores I called could do the K7 any cheaper than the cheapest deals you'll find on static ice, but I was happy to pay a little more to support a local brick and mortar store (especially one that stocks Pentax!).

Kym
31-05-2010, 10:26pm
Lets face it, most shops will do a deal. Esp. for camera, lens, memory cards etc.

Tonto
01-06-2010, 5:53pm
I must add that it is hard enougth finding a store that stocks pentax!
I also don't mind paying 10% more to buy from a physical store- especially as I am VERY likely to buy other items in future! At final point before I buy I will give everyone a chance of my business.
BTW I have only looked at shops (on and offline)) on Pentax Aus distribution list so theorhetically it should be a semi even playing field.

I am now going to check out the site sponsers, thanks for the reminder!:)