PDA

View Full Version : Disc burn question

Seesee
10-10-2009, 6:40pm
Just completed a slide show with musical background for a family 60th birthday celebration and rather pleased with it even if I do say so myself :rolleyes: But the only real problem being is everybodys DVD/Blueray player or PC seems to only play certain disc types which is a problem.

I can view the slideshow nicely on my DVD player and telly and PC by burning onto CD-R, nothing else seems to work in mine but this disc type even though it's meant to play a wide range of discs :confused013. Now it seems the CD-R wont play on the birthday persons DVD player/TV and wondering what I should burn to to cover all bases, if there is any such thing.

I'm just leaving now to photograph a dance show and am confident I will get some excellent images. I would like to burn all images to discs including a slideshow version I will put together....but what disc type do I burn to so all bases are covered ? Obviously there must be a standard across the board so we can all listen to music, watch movies etc etc...or is there some aspect in the disc burning process I'm missing....taa for some info :)

Kym
10-10-2009, 6:55pm
Generally most DVD players can read a CD containing JPG images and make that into a slide show.
The format (which is standard) is called ISO 9960 which Windows uses for data disks.
I usually do not use folders, just burn the JPG files onto the CD root directory.

There maybe some menu function needed to make this play - it depends on the DVD player.
Read the DVD player manual. ;)

jev
10-10-2009, 8:29pm
Instead of CD, you might have more luck creating an actual DVD from it.

Bails55
10-10-2009, 9:51pm
There's some good info here about CDs - what they can and can't do.
http://www.bemuso.com/musicbiz/cds.html#typesofcd

For my money, I'd go with DVD. Usually more compatible with what other people have and they hold heaps more data (so lots of slide shows!).

Seesee
11-10-2009, 10:35am
Generally most DVD players can read a CD containing JPG images and make that into a slide show.
The format (which is standard) is called ISO 9960 which Windows uses for data disks.
I usually do not use folders, just burn the JPG files onto the CD root directory.

There maybe some menu function needed to make this play - it depends on the DVD player.
Read the DVD player manual. ;)

Cheers for that, the confusing part is my DVD player manual says it will play almost all types, as do most DVD players I think, but if I insert anything but the CD-R it simply says it cant use that disc and no functions work, not a menu or anything. But as stated prior the CD-R will play on my DVD player, but not the birthday persons. I also burnt a DVD-R for that person and it wont recognise that either...beats me ?

There's some good info here about CDs - what they can and can't do.
http://www.bemuso.com/musicbiz/cds.html#typesofcd

For my money, I'd go with DVD. Usually more compatible with what other people have and they hold heaps more data (so lots of slide shows!).

Cheers for that, good link and I'll read deeper into it later, what a complicated mess the recording formats are :rolleyes:.

This particular slideshow of the 60th birthday is only about 50 images and music so it fits onto a CD-R easily, that's the main reason for choosing this disc type in this case rather than DVD....thanks for your help :)