PDA

View Full Version : Installing cs4 on my vista computer.

David
01-10-2009, 5:45pm
So I have a 'borrowed' version of CS2 on my computer along with BDSIZER and a couple of other photography editing bits but NOW I want to upload my NEW FULL EXTENDED VERSION CS4 on my computer.

Could someone please advise me of what I need to take OFF and other things I need to do to avoid problems with loading this program on my computer please- I read somewhere you had to do something else to previous versions BEFORE you try to delete say CS2 from the computer or the new upload wont work.

Advise from people well schooled in computers and loading CS4 (eg Kym, Rick, etc) would be much appreciated- Im not going to try loading it till the weekend though. .no hurry..just computer illiterate amongst other things :)

I need help: please

David.

Kym
01-10-2009, 5:50pm
Just uninstall CS2 (and that should not matter either) - you should be ok.

ricktas
01-10-2009, 6:50pm
There is also a clean-up tool on the abobe site that is designed to get rid of 'left over' files from previous versions of Photoshop.

Will go search it out and post a link for you.

ricktas
01-10-2009, 6:52pm
actually now that I look it relates more to CS3, but it is here : http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs3clean.html

MarkW
01-10-2009, 7:01pm
Its really for CS3 or CS4 where you have to deactivate the app prior to removal so that you can reinstall or upgrade later. As CS2 didn't have the deactivate system, then its just a case of removing it using its own uninstall program.

David
01-10-2009, 7:43pm
Thanks Guys.

Ive gone ahead and unloaded the CS2 stuff and Im still here (lol) and I will download that software you suggested Rick and use it just to make sure all the previous Photoshop version stuff is gone.

Tricky
01-10-2009, 9:44pm
I recently moved from CS3 to CS4... and I didn't bother uninstalling CS3 first :o I was too scared that CS4 wouldn't work for some reason and I'd be left with no processing software. Also wanted to be sure I transferred the multitude of plug-ins.

Well, CS4 installed perfectly without removing CS3. I've not had any issues so far and CS4 'remembered' all the workspace settings etc that I had from CS3. Managed to re-install all the plug-ins too without much problem, just a matter of pointing CS4 to the right folder. The only thing is, I'm now scared of uninstalling CS3 in case it somehow disrupts CS4's happy state :D you can tell I've had some bad experiences with software over the years!

Good luck with the install David :)

ricktas
01-10-2009, 9:49pm
I think the tool above is more for those that have trial versions installed. To get a nice clean install when installing a full version they recommend you use the clean tool to get rid of the previous version (trial) so that all the restrictions that apply to a trial don't come across to your full install version

David
01-10-2009, 10:43pm
Thanks for the info Tricky and Rick_ here goes. If you find a computer on the footpath and a broken window around Brisbane in the nxt 24 hours youll know it didnt go so well :)

ricktas
02-10-2009, 6:29am
Thanks for the info Tricky and Rick_ here goes. If you find a computer on the footpath and a broken window around Brisbane in the nxt 24 hours youll know it didnt go so well :)

You will have to throw it a lot further than our your window for me to find it.:D

phild
02-10-2009, 7:59am
If you have vista ultimate you can install the 64 bit version of CS4, when I installed I ran the install file from a "run as administrator" option.

I've found that with vista, often apps that don't work properly will behave if installed with the "run as administrator" option.

Your user account may have admin priviledges but for some reason installing from an admin enabled user account doesn't necessarily install in the same manner.

To access the "run as administrator" option find the install executable in explorer and right click & select "run as administrator"

Don't ask me why, I really don't know, I just know that I've had several apps that wouldn't install correctly until I used that method.