PDA

View Full Version : Wi-Fi Hotspots

hoffy
01-10-2009, 2:05pm
Howdy all,

Does anyone here regularly use WI-Fi hotspots?

I am going to Sydney for a few days and want to be able to use the net free if I can.

Is it as easy as just letting your device find a connection and go for it? Anyone suffer any security risks?

Cheers

ricktas
01-10-2009, 2:23pm
maccas! In Hobart we also have a lot of coffee shops, that if you buy a coffee you get free wifi access. guessing but maybe same elsewhere?

Kym
01-10-2009, 2:50pm
Qantas club and where I stay for work is what I mainly use.
I'll grab a work 3G card if I feel like it.
Most hotels have a 'business centre' with free 'net. The room connections cost a bomb.

Philr
01-10-2009, 2:51pm
Maccas! Or you could just drive around till you find someone else's unsecured network:D

campo
01-10-2009, 2:55pm
Is it as easy as just letting your device find a connection and go for it? Anyone suffer any security risks?

As Rick said, Maccas is usually a good option!

That said, jumping on any old connection that your device may find is risky. It's not hard to setup a wireless "hotspot", make it freely available and then listen/sniff the data of unsuspecting victims....for this reason, I generally only use known connections (eg. Maccas) but also try and limit what i do on such connections (ie. no online banking, payments with CC etc).

When I travel, if i need a connection in a hurry, I'll hook up my laptop to my mobile phone and use the phone as a 3G modem. In my case it's not a super cheap option but it works.

hoffy
01-10-2009, 3:11pm
Maccas sounds good. Are they truely free? I have found a bit of info on the net, but some of its conflicting.

campo
01-10-2009, 3:13pm
Maccas sounds good. Are they truely free? I have found a bit of info on the net, but some of its conflicting.

Yep, the one I used on the gold coast was completely free

jgtsai
01-10-2009, 4:31pm
The McDonalds across the street from the Strand Arcade, on George St. in the CBD has free wi-fi. I used it a couple of weeks ago to read news while I ate my naughty burger and fries.

umajo
01-10-2009, 4:34pm
all the backpackers use maccas all the time and they tell me most of them have it and yes its free you don't even have to buy anything

AmPhot
01-10-2009, 6:24pm
Hoffy, I regularly use the Maccas in Pitt St with my iPod, completely free and quite decent connection speeds. :)

jev
01-10-2009, 9:50pm
maccas! In Hobart we also have a lot of coffee shops, that if you buy a coffee
Huh... do they sell coffee in coffeeshop? Weird... :cool:

kiwi
01-10-2009, 10:02pm
http://www.freewifi.com.au/