PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Lightning

MJN
22-04-2007, 6:20pm
hey guys..

I had a play with my new camera the other night at shooting lightning and was not successful.
I was wonder if people could explain the equipment used and the general settings used to capture such good photos of lightning

Much appreciated

Michael

FYI:i own a canon 400D twin lens kit

Ronbo
22-04-2007, 11:42pm
The lucky thing is that you have the equipment with that camera as long as you have the sturdy tripod to put under it.

The settings vary as any shot will...

Usually I will look for an active part of the storm and aim my camera there....

The settings I usually use is

ISO 800
F/5
Shutter speed of 1 second which shows as 1"
Mirror Lock up is on

I have an IR remote for my camera so I usually use that.

I haven't much experience shooting lighting but any storm that pops up for me this summer will find me hunkered under an umbrella.

Craig Miller
23-04-2007, 9:12am
For this one:

http://craig.miller.org.au/gallery/images/67.jpg

I put the camera on the tripod, composed the shot to my taste, F/10, ISO 100 and a 25 second shutter speed. Using remote trigger I opened the shutter and waited. Once there was a flash that looked like it was in my view I turned the camera off (Saving over exposure from more strikes) I was lucky enough to have cought about 12 strikes on the one night and this was the best. Though I remember there was about 20 ish shots with nothing in them.

Hope that helps.

Seesee
24-04-2007, 7:29pm
Interesting that people use their own methods, I've only captured one lightning shot so far so I'm no expert lol lol . I did stand alongside a pro photgrapher once during an electrical storm who got a few nice shots, and I follow his example, at least I do if the opportunity arises.

He, and me set the camera to " BULB " and using a remote, trigger the shutter for about 10 second periods over and over to increase the chance of capturing one in that period, to activate the shutter when you see a strike is too slow and most likely it will be missed. Set aperature to wide open, lowest f stop number and try try again until you catch one in that 10 second time frame. The only thing to be carefull with this method is any other external light like car headlights, streetlights, even a glowing cigarette will wash out the picture, so do it in absolute darkness.

As I said, I've not got a good shot yet, mostly due to lack of opportunity, but I've seen the results by a pro who does this and it works OK.

bundybear
26-04-2007, 8:36am
hey guys..

I had a play with my new camera the other night at shooting lightning and was not successful.
I was wonder if people could explain the equipment used and the general settings used to capture such good photos of lightning

Much appreciated

Michael

FYI:i own a canon 400D twin lens kit

A tripod and remote shutter release are a must.
Use the mirror lock up function on your 400d (custom function 7-1). This will reduce camera movment when you fire.
Pick a few good vantage places around where you are to take the pic's.
If your in Sydney, the harbour is a great spot.
Work out which places face which direction, ie: if a storm is coming from the south, you obviously want to be on the north side of it so you can capture the storm front.
That way, when a storm is coming, you know where to go for the best pic.

I find the easieat way is to use the "BULB" setting in manual.
Once I've opened the shutter, I use a piece of black cardboard to cover the lens until the sky starts flashing. Or you can use the various timed exposure settings in TV mode.
However, I find the cardboard method easier.

here is a link that provides some more info on how to photograph lightning.
http://www.genesisfineart.com.au/html/lightning_tips.html

EDIT: Oh, yeh, if you have twin lens kit, use the 18-55. Otherwise, (depending on budget) look at buying something like the EF-S 10-22.

Cheers

MagnusAgrenPhotography
27-04-2007, 12:05pm
Wow that guy has some amazing lightning shots!