PDA

View Full Version : Dell 24" or 27" Ultrasharp Monitor?

jjphoto
24-09-2009, 7:12pm
Dell 24" or 27" Ultrasharp Monitor?

I will be buying either the Dell U2410 24" or the Dell 2709W 27" Ultrasharp Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor (I'm not interested in any other monitors for several reasons). I'd be interested in any feed back from users of either monitor, obviously from a photographic perspective. Any practical or calibration issues with either monitor (I use gretagmacbeth Eye-One Display)?

I think that the 24" might be a technically better monitor than the 27" but the Dell web site seems to go out of its way to describe the technical specs differently so it can be hard to compare. Any input would be appreciated.

Dell U2410 24" Ultrasharp Widescreen FlatPanel Monitor (S14U2410WAU) (http://www1.ap.dell.com/au/en/home/monitors/monitor-dell-u2410/pd.aspx?refid=monitor-dell-u2410&s=dhs&cs=audhs1)

Dell 2709W 27" Ultrasharp Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor (S142709WAU) (http://www1.ap.dell.com/au/en/home/monitors/monitor_2709wfp/pd.aspx?refid=monitor_2709wfp&s=dhs&cs=audhs1)

Thanks
JJ

ricktas
24-09-2009, 10:35pm
I don't have any experience with either of these John, but do either state the gamut range they have for the colourspace? I have noticed of late that we are seeing panels come out showing 98% sRGB gamut or 95% AdobeRGB gamut. Considering you would be using them for photo work, think that would be worth considering. Have heard generally good comments about Dell screens recently.

jjphoto
25-09-2009, 9:02am
I don't have any experience with either of these John, but do either state the gamut range they have for the colourspace? I have noticed of late that we are seeing panels come out showing 98% sRGB gamut or 95% AdobeRGB gamut. Considering you would be using them for photo work, think that would be worth considering. Have heard generally good comments about Dell screens recently.

Yes, they both state the same specs as far as gamut but they don't disclose the panel technology in the 27 which I suspect is inferior to the 24" display. I think the 24" will be the way to go.

JJ

MattC
25-09-2009, 9:52am
looks like a nice monitor for sure.

about the colourspace from their website

Compatible with Industry Color Standards: 100% sRGB, 96% AdobeRGB meets the needs of professional users involved in color-centric work such as graphic design, CAD/CAM, gaming and media creation

milspec
25-09-2009, 5:17pm
I've had DELL 24" for about 2 years now and still love it. If I had the chance I would upgrade to a 27" in a heartbeat :)

Either one will make you happy though.

mrsamo
25-09-2009, 11:15pm
Once you go bigger you never want to go smaller, I wanted the 24", had a look at the 30" and was going to put money down for one until I saw a 37" :-)

DAdeGroot
25-09-2009, 11:31pm
I've only got experience with the 2409W (different model Dell 24"). We've had a lot of dud ones at work (compared to the 2309fpw, 2209fpw).
Hmmm, sorry, that turned out less helpful than I thought it would be.

aycee
28-09-2009, 8:52am
Gday John

not an expert in anything but i have a Dell 2209WA IPS screen and although i fought tooth and nail to move into LCD screens because i always had glass and my old Sony 22 inch finally left for better pastures i had to give in as i couldnt get a S/H Sony anywhere

i am extremely happy with the Dell as its beautifully sharp and with IPS very wide angle viewing.....

easy enough to calibrate by hand..never liked the calibration programs......

it got top rating in PC User and also gets high marks all round

i notice the that the 27 inch one doesnt say what sort of panel type and wouldnt touch it if it isnt IPS

about all I know

regards Alan!

ameerat42
28-09-2009, 5:24pm
JJ. I checked the websites you listed, being interested in comparing them to my ASUS241H. But without sounding obtuse, did you get to the respective "Tech Specs"? The straight web pages just gave an overview of each. There's heaps of detail in Tech Specs - but, yeah, not fully comparable between models. If it's important, at least the pixels are a smaller pitch in the 24". The 24" looks good, but I could only afford my $550 one.

jjphoto
28-09-2009, 10:12pm
JJ. I checked the websites you listed, being interested in comparing them to my ASUS241H. But without sounding obtuse, did you get to the respective "Tech Specs"? The straight web pages just gave an overview of each. There's heaps of detail in Tech Specs - but, yeah, not fully comparable between models. If it's important, at least the pixels are a smaller pitch in the 24". The 24" looks good, but I could only afford my $550 one.

Yes I did but the way the site is written it doesn't allow the link to work on the "tech' specs page, it defaults to the main page for each monitor.

JJ

mrsamo
29-09-2009, 9:00am
The 24" will be sharper, take a guess why.

ameerat42
29-09-2009, 12:03pm

JJ - I could click on the Tech Specs tabs. Here's an MS Word table of what I found. Good luck deciding. Am...

stoj19
01-10-2009, 5:42pm
I have a 24" Dell Ultrasharp and it's great

jonb
05-10-2009, 6:26pm
I have REV A01 of the 24" one. Its the second DELL 24" monitor I have owned. I'm very happy with it. I use Spyder 3 to calibrate it. (Its too bright out of the box).

John

edit. If you belong to a motoring organisation (RACV, NRMA, RACQ etc.) its worth 10% off the price.

jjphoto
05-10-2009, 7:43pm
I have REV A01 of the 24" one. Its the second DELL 24" monitor I have owned. I'm very happy with it. I use Spyder 3 to calibrate it. (Its too bright out of the box).

John

edit. If you belong to a motoring organisation (RACV, NRMA, RACQ etc.) its worth 10% off the price.

Thanks for the feedback. I've decided to go with the 27 for practical reasons, even though the 24 is the better tecnology panel.

How do you get the RACV discount?

Thanks
JJ

jjphoto
07-10-2009, 8:06am
No reply. Does that mean that it's not possible to get an RACV discount with Dell?
JJ

joffa
07-10-2009, 7:26pm
You use your membership number to apply for a discount coupon. :cool: http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/ap/topics/forms/en/autoclub_login?c=au&l=en&cs=audhs1