PDA

View Full Version : Firefox question

Seesee
24-09-2009, 6:04pm
Well I've just downloaded Firefox again, it's now the third time I've installed it and uninstalled it, but figured rather than being accused of being a dolt for using IE8, I'd install it again and try to see just what it is I'm missing ...so far I'm greatly underwhelmed, I see no real benefit so far :confused013

However, before I uninstall it once again and go back to IE 8 I'll persevere a bit longer, but can someone tell me this please .........

1...The text font with Firefox is crappy, harder to read, it's scratchy looking and I'm not fond of it at all...how do I alter it ?

2...I've lost my familiar "refresh" tab that was with IE 8 and now cant find a way to "refresh" the AP pages...please explain to me how to change this...dumb it down a bit if you can :)

kwokask
24-09-2009, 6:08pm
what do you mean by "refresh"? if you mean reload, there is the reload button that looks like an arrow going around anticlockwise

Kym
24-09-2009, 6:14pm
Fonts - that's odd? I'll have a look next time we catch up.

The AP based refresh is shown...

IE 8 refresh is the arrow thingy at the end of the address bar...

farmer_rob
24-09-2009, 6:20pm
what do you mean by "refresh"? if you mean reload, there is the reload button that looks like an arrow going around anticlockwise

actually clockwise arrow... Blue, 3rd from left at top. (Kwokask is correct: Refresh in IE is Reload in firefox) (You can also reload with Ctrl-R, or choose reload from the view menu.)

Fonts: Choose Tools-> Options. In the popup, choose the Content page. You can set/change the default font there.

milspec
24-09-2009, 6:25pm
F5 to refresh, CTRL-F5 for a full reload.

TOM
24-09-2009, 6:28pm
Seesee, I run both IE8 and Firefox. I find that Firefox has some compatability issues with some pages that I visit infrequently. I have been tempted to go back to IE8 exclusively, but the speed of Firefox compared to IE is in another league.

umajo
24-09-2009, 6:47pm
i had firefox for years and now it all of a sudden stopped working on both computers so have gone back to ie myself also

MarkChap
24-09-2009, 6:49pm
Right click and choose "reload"

ving
24-09-2009, 6:53pm
hit f5... is that what you want?

www.mozilla.com/firefox/text_patch/ (http://opera.com/browser)

arthurking83
24-09-2009, 6:57pm
Also be wary of any add-ons you install too!
They can (or seem to) be resource hungry and slow down FF quite a bit.

it's the add ons that really make FF nicer to drive.

Seesee
24-09-2009, 6:57pm
Fonts - that's odd? I'll have a look next time we catch up.

The AP based refresh is shown...

IE 8 refresh is the arrow thingy at the end of the address bar...

Thanks Kym and one n' all, I was looking for refresh and not reload....1/2 doz one...6 of the other. :rolleyes:

Yes, each time I've downloaded firefox the font alters for the worst, not overly bad, but I did prefer the font with IE7 or IE8, and I cant seem to find a way to alter it. The Firefox font is a bit thinner looking, not quite as bold as with IE8, but I guess I can live with it....cheers

Seesee
24-09-2009, 7:00pm
Thanks everybody, I'll persevere with FF for now......cheers for the help :)

arthurking83
24-09-2009, 7:30pm
As for fonts Col, you can access the Fonts settings in (Tools->Options->Content).

I thought that fonts are usually set to the default Times New Roman, or Courier or whatever.. so your fonts issue seems weird??

anyhow.. the settings are there to be 'set' :D .. and you may need to restart FF for any changes to settings to work. :confused:

I @ M
24-09-2009, 7:37pm
Colin, fonts are easy.

Follow the path ( outlined in red / orange rectangles on the screen print), tools, which brings up the drop down menu and choose options ( not shown ) > Content > fonts & colours > advanced > select the font you wish to use and uncheck the " Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of my selections above " if you want your selection to be the default for all pages.

Seesee
26-09-2009, 11:37am
Aha...got it sussed now...thanks everyone....who'd of ever figured one could get a decent bit of info from so many ugly people :p

arthurking83
26-09-2009, 11:50am
so!.... imagine the level of expertise you'll get from the beautiful people! :confused:

now I'm having a hard time coming to terms with that, and I fully retract my previous reply(s), and will no longer offer any information in the future, strictly for the purposes of increasing my chances of finding a new partner one day! :action041:

Kym
26-09-2009, 12:08pm
A couple of really useful Firefox plugins...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8767 <Histogram viewer>
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3905 <EXIF viewer)

In both cases Right click an image to use them