PDA

View Full Version : Medium Format Tripod Plate

Edgar
24-09-2009, 10:29am
Hi guys

I was taking landscape photos the other day at Cape Schanck, Victoria, the wind was very strong. The camera started shaking, but when I check closely, there was nothing wrong with the tripod, it sits steadily, so is the head.

I then found out that the camera was actually shaking from the plate itself, not sure if it is due the plate mounting on the head or because of the plate itself.

I then went to have a look at better tripods the next day (I needed to upgrade to a stronger one anyway), and found out about a tripod head and plate for medium format camera. It's the first time I've seen a tripod head for medium format camera and I was very impressed with it. It has the screw mount for small-format DSLR as well so can be used for both small and medium format camera, and the head + plate itself is about twice the size of standard head.

But the thing that interest me most is the plate size, I reckon with the larger plate sitting underneath the camera, it would help stabilised the camera and avoid shaking since there is a larger surface area for the camera to sit on?

Am I right? or is there another way to this type of camera shake?

ricktas
24-09-2009, 10:37am
Strong wind is going to buffet it no matter what tripod or head you use, unfortunately.

I tend to get a damn good grip on the camera and tripod and use the self timer when I am in really windy conditions.

Edgar
24-09-2009, 10:54am
cool, thanks for that.

What about the weight of the tripod, I know carbon fibre is good for being weight and easy to carry around, but does that also mean that it will be less steady in this kind of situation?

ricktas
24-09-2009, 10:56am
Depends how windy it gets. I have been out trying to get photos in wind over 100kmh, and then no matter how heavy the tripod is, you need to be holding it down and if possible using your body as as windshield as well.

Krzys
24-09-2009, 11:08am
Isn't it nature photography 101 to use yourself plus a windbreaker to shield your tripod, even in lightly windy conditions?

Edgar
24-09-2009, 11:09am
generally, is heavier tripod more stable than say a lighter carbon fibre tripod?

Edgar
24-09-2009, 11:20am
Isn't it nature photography 101 to use yourself plus a windbreaker to shield your tripod, even in lightly windy conditions?

Yes, but when you in a location where it is directly facing the south indian ocean, the wind is so strong that even your whole body are being blown.