PDA

View Full Version : iPhone apps

jshirvo
21-09-2009, 7:27pm
I got an iphone 3gs recently and was wondering if anyone has suggestions for useful apps to use with a DSLR. I've got a Canon 450d and am just a beginner with an interest in landscapes.

ricktas
21-09-2009, 7:37pm
the one App that is worth it, is 'photocalc' it lets you calculate hyperfocal distance, f stop DOF, has sunrise and sunset times, and heaps more.

jshirvo
21-09-2009, 7:40pm
Thanks for that. I'll check it out.

ricktas
21-09-2009, 7:43pm
but no matter what Apps you get, they are not going to make your photography any better. That comes from learning your camera and using it.

jshirvo
21-09-2009, 7:55pm
Is it possible to do time-lapse with the 450d? I thought I saw an app that can help with that.

ricktas
21-09-2009, 7:59pm
Is it possible to do time-lapse with the 450d? I thought I saw an app that can help with that.

I dont think it is built into the 450d, in most cases you need a remote shutter release that has the feature built into that, and you set the time intervals etc on the remote.

ving
22-09-2009, 3:26pm
time lapse... just take single pics at intervals and join them together to form a gif or avi.

this one was of a total lunar eclipse. i took a shot every 15 mins and used animation shop to create this.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v46/ving68/Animation1.gif

jameslagden
22-09-2009, 4:24pm
You might want to look at OnOne's DSLR Remote (http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=38)

Amongst the many apps that I have bought/got for free, I use PhotoBuddy which is similar to the one Rick suggested.

If you do a search on Appshopper.com (http://appshopper.com), you can get a good idea of what the apps can do.

Bw1206
06-05-2012, 10:22am
Hi Folks.
Can anyone recommend an iPad app that tracks sunrise and sunset? I'm travelling to France and Italy next month and want to do some scouting before getting into the field.

ricktas
06-05-2012, 10:26am
Hi Folks.
Can anyone recommend an iPad app that tracks sunrise and sunset? I'm travelling to France and Italy next month and want to do some scouting before getting into the field.

The photographers ephemeris (TPE for short)

WorkingClassHero
10-05-2012, 8:19pm
The photographers ephemeris (TPE for short)

TPE is a great app. Well worth the price.

znelbok
12-05-2012, 10:17pm
triggertrap also have an iOS app as a replacement for a remote trigger. This does nto however need a laptop and wifi, but instead uses a dongle and the audio output from the iOS device.

I spoke to them about making a bluetooth version so that the phone/pad would not need to be tethered to the camera and would allow the photographer to move freely around the equipment and subject.

AstonKemp
09-06-2012, 12:57pm
Very handy light meter available as a freebie. Seems to work well. Also a very neat spirit level available

WhoDo
09-06-2012, 1:49pm
Posing App (yes, that's what it's called) has all sorts of poses for different subjects in different situations. This way you can show your subject what you want without having to try and explain "this leg here, that arm there, turn your head this way ... up more ...". If you're into people photography its worth the tiny price ($2.99 I think).:th3: