PDA

View Full Version : TV vs AV Mode

enduro
17-04-2007, 8:00pm
Darksome wrote: No I haven't tried TV mode ever to be honest, perhaps I should do some experimentation and see how it comes up compared to shooting in AV. Thanks for the tip.

Until I learned to revisit and appreciate the other modes on my 350D was until recently a full M junky! :crzy:

As I have discovered and to my understanding:
[edited]TV Mode lets you lock in the Shutter Speed and varies the Aperture automatically for you.
[edited] AV Mode lets you lock in the Aperture and varies the Shutter Speed automatically for you.
TV is great for most applications for me as I normally know what DOF I need, if I see the SS is too low then I make bigger aperture (lets more light in) or increase the ISO.

TV lets me shoot in varying light conditions from shade to bright light easily which is what can occur in shooting nature, sport and other applications. I used to find noise a problem as I would often underexpose - not anymore! :D

That's my tip for the week, insert $2 in the slot below.

|
|

DanNG
17-04-2007, 9:05pm
I think your TV and AV's are the wrong way round.

AV - you set the aperture - camera adjusts shutter speed automatically for correct expsoure.

TV - you set the shutter speed - camera adjusts aperture automatically for correct exposure.

I use av the majority of the time.. unless indoors shooting with a flash (bouncing) I use Manual mode. AV outdoors with flash = fill flash as the camera meters for the ambient light.

sans2012
17-04-2007, 9:11pm
I think your TV and AV's are the wrong way round.

AV - you set the aperture - camera adjusts shutter speed automatically for correct expsoure.

TV - you set the shutter speed - camera adjusts aperture automatically for correct exposure.

I use av the majority of the time.. unless indoors shooting with a flash (bouncing) I use Manual mode. AV outdoors with flash = fill flash as the camera meters for the ambient light.

;)

AV mode for me too, almost everything except sports, car/bike racing and anything else that might need some panning/motion blur then I will use TV. TV or M for long exposure too:)

enduro
17-04-2007, 9:33pm
Dammit!!! - it is wrong. :(

Typed this up in Word and copied the wrong proof in.

To reduce the mental strain on everyone else I edited the OP.

Should have had the coin slot at the top too!

Thanks for you input.

Ronbo
17-04-2007, 10:59pm
I will be honest I switch between Aperature and shutter priority depending on the situation...

Bax
17-04-2007, 11:15pm
I'm generally set on an aperture of around 7 - I shrink it down for landscape and jump to 2.8 if I really need the low light or the dof.

Only go to TV for bulb and panning.

enduro
17-04-2007, 11:54pm
I'm generally set on an aperture of around 7 - I shrink it down for landscape and jump to 2.8 if I really need the low light or the dof.

Only go to TV for bulb and panning.

I've always been puzzelled about landscape. Should I have a wide aperture or a narrow one - considering I want to take a shot of a mountain range in good light.

When I read the EXIF of a very good image I see a aperture of about 9 and varying shutter speeds.

What's your learned experiences?

Bax
18-04-2007, 8:08am
In all honesty I'm not quite sure, maybe they've taken the sharp point of their lens?

My logic is that the the smaller the aperture (bigger number) then the more depth of field there is. And being a landscape I generally want to show off all of it?

But that could be negative on me if you can get enough dof at 9 and the lens starts losing itst sharpness with the smaller apertures? I'm not too sure

sans2012
18-04-2007, 11:09am
I've always been puzzelled about landscape. Should I have a wide aperture or a narrow one - considering I want to take a shot of a mountain range in good light.

When I read the EXIF of a very good image I see a aperture of about 9 and varying shutter speeds.

What's your learned experiences?

For landscape I would probably go with the lenses sweet spot - f-8 to F-11/12 is common.