PDA

View Full Version : Copying Text in Threads

mongo
17-09-2009, 9:28am
Often members give others technical advice which is worth keeping as a reference.

Mongo has tried to copy the content of advice in some threads to store for reference (e.g. noise reduction methods etc). Mongo highlights the text in the thread and presses copy (all OK so far) but then finds he can’t “past” that text anywhere else for storage/reference.

Can this be done and how ??

ricktas
17-09-2009, 9:33am
So, you highlight text, right click > copy. then go to something like Word, and right click > paste. And nothing happens?

Thats how I do it.

mongo
17-09-2009, 9:45am
Exactly !!!

The only thing that appears in the word document are a few scattered wiggly red lines – like it is not decoding the information.

ricktas
17-09-2009, 9:50am
hmmm - thats a font issue, the font is showing up as the same colour as your word doc background. The squiggly red lines are the auto spell checker. So the text is there, just the same colour as the background. So in word. Hold down your mouse and try and hightlight the whole page, you will probably see the text then, so just change its colour on the menu in word

arthurking83
17-09-2009, 9:52am
:confused:

Working for me! what browser are you using?(I use FireFox)

another thing I'm thinking is maybe a html problem or something?
try to past the text into Notepad.. see if that helps.

tip: I keep an empty Notepad text document icon on my desktop.
What I do, if I ever need to do that, is to highlight text-> rightclick/copy-> Open the empty notepad doc on my desktop -> rightclick/paste.

never had an issue with it.
I once or twice used Wordpad too. But Notepad is more than sufficient for text only.

Mongo's issue is a strange one.

EDIT: ah! font!.. never thought of that.

Invictus
17-09-2009, 9:56am
Does seem strange ... :crzy:
As rick said - Where are you trying to paste to?

edit - Took too long to post :o
Yep rick got it :D

Kym
17-09-2009, 10:02am
In word use 'Paste Special' then 'Unformatted Text' and you will be ok.

mongo
17-09-2009, 10:35am
Rick on the right track – if Mongo highlights the invisible text then hits Auto Font Colour or the Format gallery it will appear. You must have a short cut Rick if you can do it in one go.

Also as Kym said, “special paste” then, “unformatted text” or “unformatted unicode text” – it also appears.

thanks guys - at least Mongo can now do this albeit the long way.

Miaow
17-09-2009, 11:17am
As aurthur mentioned, if you paste into notepad should be ok straight off cause it doesn't use formating?

mongo
17-09-2009, 12:13pm
thanks Cat and Arthur - straight to notepad works and may be the better way to go for this excercise.

Kym
17-09-2009, 1:53pm
If you want a great alternate to notepad for plain text try Notepad++ ... http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm Free!

MarkW
17-09-2009, 2:18pm
This because your using AP Dark as the screen display. If you use white then there is no problem.

mongo
17-09-2009, 4:52pm
100% correct Mark !!
but having looked at it for a while now, Mongo does not think he can live with it so he is going back to black
sincere thanks for the advice though

mudman
17-09-2009, 6:30pm
the quick and nasty way is to press the 'print screen' key and then paste into a word document. youb get warts and all but the text is there

ricktas
17-09-2009, 8:23pm
This because your using AP Dark as the screen display. If you use white then there is no problem.

I use AP dark and do not have an issue cutting and pasting straight from it. Haven't ever had to change the font colour in Word, using 4 different PC's to access AP, so there is more to it than just AP Dark.

MarkW
17-09-2009, 8:52pm
I use AP dark and do not have an issue cutting and pasting straight from it. Haven't ever had to change the font colour in Word, using 4 different PC's to access AP, so there is more to it than just AP Dark.

That maybe because word probably has the text defaulted to "auto" which is black

Gregg Bell
23-09-2009, 2:42am
When you copy text, it copies all the properties of the text to the clipboard, so when you paste it, it pastes it usually in the color, and the font type. pasting the text onto a software that doesn't recognizes these attributes like textpad, notepad++ or notepad, just pastes the text in black.

I know Im late.

umajo
23-09-2009, 7:28am
If you want a great alternate to notepad for plain text try Notepad++ ... http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm Free!

looks like a good program but the downloads look complecated wich one is the download for windows :confused013

Analog6
23-09-2009, 8:10am
Mongo, as all text here is white so when you paste it onto word it will be invisible! Press CTRL A to highlight all the text and make font colour AUto or black. Voila!

Kym
23-09-2009, 10:09am
looks like a good program but the downloads look complecated wich one is the download for windows :confused013

It's GPL code - so you get the program source code and can modify and build it yourself :th3:

But if your not that much into software .... here's one that was prepared earlier... :rolleyes:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/notepad-plus/files/
>>> This file >>> npp.5.5.Installer.exe

Enjoy! :food04: