PDA

View Full Version : CS4 rounded corner frames

accesser
14-09-2009, 11:07am
This is one of those things that should be easy but I hit a snag,
I found this (http://www.bernskiold.com/tutorials/photoshop/making-rounded-corner-frames-in-photoshop-cs3/)little guide I like those corners and wanted to do the same to a recent pic I am using CS4 so it should be the same.

Anyway after I select the entire image (Ctrl + A) The items I need from the Select > Modify are grayed.
Any trips as to what I am doing wrong very welcome

Whisky_Mac
14-09-2009, 11:28am
Jason, just check it the image is in 8 bit or sixteen bit depth, suspect it is that or the mode maybe in indexed colour.

accesser
14-09-2009, 11:32am
Jason, just check it the image is in 8 bit or sixteen bit depth, suspect it is that or the mode maybe in indexed colour.

Ah I will re export from lightroom and see how I go thanks for the tip

accesser
14-09-2009, 12:13pm
Still no joy I exported from LR as a 8 bit then a 16 bit the select all works you can see the outline in the pic I posted but for some reason those options are disabled.
The file I am working on is a .PSD I also tried some .CR2 files same deal .jpg also the same perhaps I have messed up a setting somewhere.

Whisky_Mac
14-09-2009, 1:00pm
Can you upload the pic so I can have a try, I am at work and only have CS2 here but should be able to see if the parts are greyed out or not.

accesser
14-09-2009, 1:25pm
Can you upload the pic so I can have a try, I am at work and only have CS2 here but should be able to see if the parts are greyed out or not.

Thanks so much for that ! the .psd was 51.2MB so here (http://users.on.net/~jasimjen/ausphotography/Jason%20Flyover.psd)is the re-sized one
its RAAF Roulettes I'm trying to make the most of the image and give it an old school look so I gave it an aged photo effect in LR then some post crop vignette now I want to round the edges and keep on tinkering until it has that old photo look

jameslagden
14-09-2009, 1:48pm
You can't use this menu option when you have the entire picture selected. To make it work do the following:

Select all
Transform selection (in select menu)
Hold down Alt + shift to constrain aspect ratio and decrease the selection size (hit enter)
Then try the modify again

Whisky_Mac
14-09-2009, 3:18pm
James is right, the workaround is to make a layer copy, select the lot in the new layer, then go to the canvas size and increase it by a known amount. Then contract your selection, then smooth it, place a new layer below the top one and colour it or whatever you were going to do, flatten the image and the resize you canvas to the original. There are probably other methods.

Attached is a very quick and dirty example with ugly colours to show what I mean. By the way, the PSD was at 16 bit depth, I had to make it 8 bit to be able to make the JPG.

accesser
14-09-2009, 3:22pm
Thank you both ! pleased to get that working now I'll see if I can get it looking how I wanted it thanks again guys very cool to get help like that