PDA

View Full Version : Feathering graduated ND filters

accesser
08-09-2009, 10:31pm
Good old youtube you have to love it, The "Recommended for You" section is very handy it knows what videos you like and suggests things.

Most recently it suggested this video to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQxdCfbE2FI

In the video he manually holds the ND filter and feathers it to smooth the edge of the filter sounds like a good tip to me he was even managing to do it for a 6 second image.

Think I will have to give this a try

ricktas
09-09-2009, 7:30am
hahaha. not an uncommon thing to do. I find if I hand hold mine (which I do a bit), that I am not the steadiest person, and do the same thing, just never gave it a name like feathering, for me it is more like Coffee jitters...LOL

accesser
09-09-2009, 7:39am
hahaha. not an uncommon thing to do. I find if I hand hold mine (which I do a bit), that I am not the steadiest person, and do the same thing, just never gave it a name like feathering, for me it is more like Coffee jitters...LOL

Cool I'd not head of it I always just kept mine in the holder,

arthurking83
09-09-2009, 7:49am
lol! same here. I'm normally a hand holding type, and have the 'fingerprints' to prove it :p .. but I'm not keen on holding the filter for 6 sec to begin with. Usually by about the 2nd or 3rd sec I've probably got bored and just simply removed the filter, fell asleep or forgotten what I was doing!.... and he calls it feathering huh?

over a six sec exposure I doubt that the very minimal 'feathering' that he did in that video is going to make any difference too.

merlin
09-09-2009, 7:51am

lol man coffee has so many uses

Ben
09-09-2009, 3:38pm
Good tip though, I never thought of doing that!

Dylan & Marianne
11-09-2009, 11:06am
I hand hold mine too lol - mind you holding for 2 minutes can definitely result in feathering though I never thought to name that technique :P