PDA

View Full Version : Any Scribus Users?

wideangle
05-09-2009, 5:18pm
I have been having a play with the Open Source graphic page layout program Scribus for a while now and have been finding it quite straight forward to use and powerful for page layout.

Has anyone else used it before, and what are your experiences?

ziph
07-09-2009, 10:58pm
wideangle

I have used Scribus for one page brochures, mainly because I use Linux whenever possible. :)

It takes time to learn what the program can do, but it's worth the effort.
In particular: Rounding corners of images adds to the impact. Plus, the character and line spacing of text can be altered to suit the space available.

It is definitely easier to have any long text prepared in a separate file and then import it, rather than trying to type it into Scribus.

wideangle
12-09-2009, 7:44pm
Yes, I have been having a play around with it and been watching lots of helpful tutorials and it seems a very powerful open source alternative, much like Audacity, VCL Media Player, Open Office etc etc are.

jev
29-10-2009, 3:22am
I'll just dust this topic off than. Started using Scribus last week, in an attempt to create a small magazine. It leaves a lot to be desired and the development versions that are oh so proudly announced as "released" are unstable as hell. But... 1.3.3.13 is quite stable on a windows (!) machine.

Anyway, I'm looking for someone that knows a bit about scripting Scribus. I want to insert floating quotes with bars in top and bottom, without putting too much effort each time. Anyone done that before?