PDA

View Full Version : Digital World International

Kaz67
30-08-2009, 11:41am
Hi....I am wondering if anybody has purchased camera gear from a online store called Digital World International? If so would you recommend/not recommend them? Thanx... :confused013

Absolution
30-08-2009, 1:46pm
Hi Kaz.

If you have any queries about DWI - drop them an email.

What I can tell you though is that all of their products are sent from Hong Kong, and anything over $1000 you will be required to pay tax and/or duty on.

Here is a thread discussing the pros/cons of them specifically (you'll find plenty of people in that thread who have bought from DWI)

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1133148

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

- D

Kaz67
31-08-2009, 12:06pm
Thanx for your post Absolution... The info in the thread about no Australian Warranty is obviously a good thing know... ;)

bigdazzler
31-08-2009, 12:33pm
I bought a lens off them a couple of weeks back ... They had the best price by far, communication via email was quick and precise, and delivery took three working days. Of course, the big test will be if something goes wrong and we need to exercise warranty.

They have a Sydney based agent called ATECH Distribution who handle all of their warranty issues. Info is here .. http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/help/information-regarding-warranties.asp

Lani
31-08-2009, 2:12pm
They may be cheaper on some things but not others, so it pays to look around. I generally start with a shopbot search...also have noticed prices have come down on a few things over the last week due to stronger Aus dollar. (DDP, camerasdirect etc)

Absolution
31-08-2009, 9:41pm
Most people I know that have purchased from them will settle on the <$1000 purchases, but when you factor in the GST once it gets to customs for anything over a grand - sometimes it's just better off purchasing local and getting the proper local support.

I was recently looking for a new body and procrastinated on it for a couple of weeks doing my research. I heavily considered grabbing a 50D from them, but wasn't prepared to risk the Canon 100-400L from Hong Kong.

I ended up grabbing a really good quality second hand 40D instead, and used what I saved to grab the lens from Digi Direct (who had the best price and have a bricks and mortar store in Sydney). I should take delivery of that tomorrow :D

Sorry for swinging off topic, but what i'm getting at is, at the end of the day it's what you feel comfortable with.

Just go in informed :)

seastorm
05-09-2009, 6:47pm
Looking at the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro from this mob myself. I'm a bit cautious about the people who posted on whirlpool about DWI, most of them are new members, and some of them less than 5 posts. It could be someone from DWI doing it... :(

At least there are some members here I can trust... :)

bigdazzler
05-09-2009, 8:25pm
I will vouch for them mate .. my transaction was as smooth as a babys bum :D

In fact im seriously considering breaking my own rules and buying an extra body from them shortly

seastorm
05-09-2009, 11:15pm
Good to hear, BigDaz. I'll email them on Monday and if all is good, a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro is comin' my way ;)

seastorm
07-09-2009, 11:12am
I've just put my order in with DWI for the Tammy 90 :)

Kaz67
07-09-2009, 12:12pm
Let us know how you get on Seastorm. Interested to know how your dealings with DWI go! ;)

seastorm
07-09-2009, 8:46pm
Let us know how you get on Seastorm. Interested to know how your dealings with DWI go! ;)

Well, so far so good. Placed an order online this morning. Status changed to Dispatched by the evening. I have also had emails telling me what stage the order is at. You can track every movement on the website, after you log into your account, all the delivery details and with which courier are all there. ETA 9 September. I'm quite pleased :)

joffa
07-09-2009, 9:06pm
I ordered some stuff from DWI last night, but they sent me an email this morning telling me they are out of stock and on backorder. They gave me the option to cancel the order if I don't want to wait, but for the price I think I'll just wait a little while. Will keep posted how it goes. Hopefully it comes through as it was an absolute bargain!

seastorm
07-09-2009, 9:50pm
I ordered some stuff from DWI last night, but they sent me an email this morning telling me they are out of stock and on backorder. They gave me the option to cancel the order if I don't want to wait, but for the price I think I'll just wait a little while. Will keep posted how it goes. Hopefully it comes through as it was an absolute bargain!

Did they tell you when they're expecting the stock to come in?

I called them up this morning to make sure the Tammy 90 was in stock before I placed my order :)

joffa
07-09-2009, 9:58pm
No they haven't as yet. I will give them a call in the morning and keep on their back though. I have noticed though that between me placing my order last night and sometime today they have jacked up the price on the flash I ordered by $130.

seastorm
07-09-2009, 10:14pm
No they haven't as yet. I will give them a call in the morning and keep on their back though. I have noticed though that between me placing my order last night and sometime today they have jacked up the price on the flash I ordered by $130.

Oooo, I'd make sure that your order is still with the old price. That's a big jump!!

Lani
07-09-2009, 10:23pm
With a healthy Aus dollar, prices should be coming down?

joffa
07-09-2009, 10:37pm
Oooo, I'd make sure that your order is still with the old price. That's a big jump!!

According to the invoice I got the cheap price. If they try to get me to pay extra then I'll cancel and buy it elsewhere. I've got my fingers crossed though it's almost too good to be true.

seastorm
07-09-2009, 10:40pm
According to the invoice I got the cheap price. If they try to get me to pay extra then I'll cancel and buy it elsewhere. I've got my fingers crossed though it's almost too good to be true.

Well, they have to honour the price you purchased it for, it's not your fault it's not in stock. :th3:

seastorm
10-09-2009, 7:31am
Still haven't received my Tammy 90 yet, ETA was yesterday, not DWI's fault, but FedEx - they're not my choice of courier. :confused013

My work colleague bought the same lens from www.camerasdirect.com.au on Tuesday morning and received it less than 22 hrs from the time he put the order in, we're talking from Brizzie to Perth..!!!!

seastorm
10-09-2009, 6:20pm
OK, I've received my Tammy 90 now, can't wait to go play with it, but the weather here in Perth is real crappy. Might do some other type of macros other than insects / flowers... :)

Kaz67
10-09-2009, 7:37pm
Well, your transaction seemed to go pretty smoothly. It's just the warranty that still concerns me but hey I'm a lot closer to buying from them now that I have followed your journey! Thanx for posting. :th3:

Lani
10-09-2009, 8:39pm
I decided to also take a punt, and ordered a lens the other day fro DWI, emailed first to check if it was in stock, pretty prompt reply...lots of comms as to despatch and tracking. It is apparently in Aus, just waiting to see if it gets to me in one piece.

seastorm
10-09-2009, 9:12pm
Well, your transaction seemed to go pretty smoothly. It's just the warranty that still concerns me but hey I'm a lot closer to buying from them now that I have followed your journey! Thanx for posting. :th3:

No worries, glad to be able to help :)

Just to let you know that the packing on the box of my Tammy 90 was just bubble wrap, but it covered the whole box. Darn hard to rip it off too, I can tell you :D

joffa
10-09-2009, 10:04pm
I also called these guys today, the flashes that I've ordered should be in stock in 2-3 weeks apparently. I hate waiting lol. Got 2 580 EX II flashes for $340 each. It'll be worth the wait I think.

bigdazzler
11-09-2009, 7:05am
Geez .. You all sound surprised :D I told you about these guys ages ago ;)

Seriously though, I cant fault them .. ill buy from them again for sure.

seastorm
11-09-2009, 8:07am
Geez .. You all sound surprised :D I told you about these guys ages ago ;)

Seriously though, I cant fault them .. ill buy from them again for sure.

You're right, BigDaz, I can't fault them myself. Great communication throughout the transaction, I kept emailing one of their sales guy (Chris his name was), and he always replied.

joffa
18-09-2009, 10:14am
Well looks like I was right. It was too good to be true. I emailed them asking when they were expecting stock to come in so they could send my order out. Recieved this email from them today:

HI Geoff

We are expecting more stock in tomorrow, but we have just checked against your order and have noticed that the price you have ordered at was an incorrect listing due to a typographical error. Due to this we either will need to cancel your order or if you want to pay the current price which is $475 each we can then fore fill the order.

If you have any questions please let us know.

Many thanks

Digital World International

seastorm
18-09-2009, 10:43am
That's a bugger, joffa :(

Time to do some more window shopping, I suppose....

latino
18-09-2009, 11:13am
Tempted in getting the D700 through them with 3 year mack warranty, decisions decisions.

What are the chances of customs charging the GST upon arrival?

seastorm
18-09-2009, 1:06pm
** Admin, please don't provide generic links, if you wish to link to another site, link directly to the relevant threads/item **

Kym
18-09-2009, 2:15pm
The thread has been running for 7 months http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1133148

seastorm
18-09-2009, 3:15pm
Oooops, sorry. I didn't know not to post generic links. :o

wideangle
14-02-2010, 11:23am
Has anyone bought camera bodies that are over $AU1000 from them? How did you go? It seems since about 1 week ago, a lot of camera bodies have jumped up in price by as much as $200 from what they were.

kaiser
14-02-2010, 2:05pm
I purchased a D700 body for $2676AUD on Friday afternoon. According to Fedex it arrived at Alexandria Airport (Sydney) this morning and should reach me by Tuesday. Speedy email responses and decent phone communication. Can't really fault them so far.

wideangle
14-02-2010, 2:56pm
I purchased a D700 body for $2676AUD on Friday afternoon. According to Fedex it arrived at Alexandria Airport (Sydney) this morning and should reach me by Tuesday. Speedy email responses and decent phone communication. Can't really fault them so far.

Let us all know how you got on once you get your package.

Flash Hit
14-02-2010, 3:09pm
I purchased a D7 with grip, 580EXII flash, 2 lenses 8GB flash card all for $3000. Great service and quick delivery (3 days). Fully covered Australia wide warranty. The same thing in Perth was $4100!!.
I'll definately use them again.
Greg

Audible
15-02-2010, 12:13am
Well, I recently compared the prices between the hong kong sellers via e-bay and a local Brick & tile local store on the canon 100-400mm IS.

DWI where, and currently are $1937 on this lens. If I cop 10% gst then the total price would be $2130.70. Best price I got from a walk in store was $2299, a difference of $168.30.
Given that I spent close to an hour in the store with the lens on my camera, along with other lens, picking the sales person(s) brains for advice and info plus no hassles with the warrantly, imho, the DWI price was the expensive one.

The only issue I would have is if I would actually have to pay the GST. I guess my decision could have been swayed if I knew if I would pay it or not. It was a chance I wasn't prepared to take.

kaiser
15-02-2010, 6:39pm
Just received my D700 this afternoon. Ordered at 12pm on Friday - bloody fantastic shipping speed! No extra taxes or charges imposed. Highly recommend DWI :)

wideangle
16-02-2010, 9:05am
Just received my D700 this afternoon. Ordered at 12pm on Friday - bloody fantastic shipping speed! No extra taxes or charges imposed. Highly recommend DWI :)

Good to hear, look forward to seeing some of your shots with it.

Gaza
19-02-2010, 8:03pm
I used them to by my 5D M II it was about $700 cheaper than anywhere in Aus, I will be using them again

kptn82
23-02-2010, 12:53am
Took the plunge after reading ALL of 54 pages on Whirlpool, bought the 50mm f/1.4 from them. Waiting to be shipped.

Will keep forum updated!

kptn82
25-02-2010, 2:37pm
Received 5 minutes ago

Dylan & Marianne
25-02-2010, 2:58pm
wow that was quick lol - I'm about to put in a big order with them after next pay :)

kptn82
26-02-2010, 8:31pm
Here's the tracking info

http://www.fedex.com/Tracking?ascend_header=1&clienttype=dotcomreg&cntry_code=au&language=english&tracknumbers=422743141088

wideangle
26-02-2010, 9:56pm
Here's the tracking info

http://www.fedex.com/Tracking?ascend_header=1&clienttype=dotcomreg&cntry_code=au&language=english&tracknumbers=422743141088

could say that you got rather quick service then!

Lani
27-02-2010, 10:36am
I just got an LX3 for my mother, with extras, ordered Tuesday, it arrived in Penguin,Tas yesterday morning. It would have taken longer from Melbourne. Just be aware of the credit card and paypal surcharges.

Kerry
27-02-2010, 8:42pm
I want to order a lens from them, but what happens if I'm not home when the courier arrives?
I can call them Mon to find out, but thought I'd ask here in the meantime, just in case anyone know the answer..

rookie
27-02-2010, 8:46pm
I want to order a lens from them, but what happens if I'm not home when the courier arrives?
I can call them Mon to find out, but thought I'd ask here in the meantime, just in case anyone know the answer..

They would leave a call card and you have to pick it up from their depot

Lani
27-02-2010, 8:58pm
Depends who the couriers are, ours will attempt a redelivery once, if you call and arrange a time.

wideangle
27-02-2010, 9:35pm
Check with who they pass it onto once it gets to Australia. Most will call once and leave a card, you then call them and make a time to go and pick it up from the depot, or let them know when you will be in at your place receive it.

etherial
27-02-2010, 9:38pm
My item about a month ago came with Fedex who work in conjunction with Australian Air Express in regiional areas. AAE then palm it off to Aus Post if it is out of town. I watched the Fedex website and when it said delivered and I didn't have it I got worried. I tracked it down with some phone calls and found it in Ballarat central post office.

Lani
27-02-2010, 9:46pm
My item about a month ago came with Fedex who work in conjunction with Australian Air Express in regiional areas. AAE then palm it off to Aus Post if it is out of town. I watched the Fedex website and when it said delivered and I didn't have it I got worried. I tracked it down with some phone calls and found it in Ballarat central post office.

Fedex tracking is not very accurate I have found, mum's camera was still in Alexandria supposedly when the courier rang the doorbell. :confused013
Not so much of a worry as long as it turns up I spose.

etherial
27-02-2010, 9:51pm
Thats right, as long as it arrives all is good. Mine showed it was in Sydney one minute and delivered the next. It was worrying though because it came up as being delivered and signed for by someone with the same name as my neighbor! So I spent a while trying to get hold of them and find it, and when they didn't have it calling Fedex and they had no idea. Took quite a few hours or worry and frustration to figure out where it was.

Kerry
27-02-2010, 10:21pm
Thanks - good to know..Would be happy to pick it up from the local PO or AAE as I work at the airport..

Kerry
01-03-2010, 10:46am
Just called DWI to enquire about the availability of the lens and if it could be left at my local PO if I'm not home when it arrives...My call was answered immediately and the guy on the phone was very obliging...Have ordered the Tamron 28-75...Will let you know how the transaction goes...

Kerry
03-03-2010, 10:42am
My lens has just arrived - 48 hours almost to the minute!
Very impressed and would definitely do business with again :th3:
Now to go and play with my new toy before taking it to Cambodia next week!!!

nhutty
04-03-2010, 9:58am
i've also been following that whirlpool thread about DWI, been thinking about getting some lens and maybe a 7D body from them.

im not sure how Mack warranty works though, as thats one thing im worried when buying a grey import

Craggles
04-03-2010, 4:24pm
Remember with Canon glass there is an international warranty, so grey import or not doesnt matter.

I purchased an FZ35 from them just before christmas, opened it up and it was DOA, sent it to their ATECH servicing mob and got a new one asap.

If anyone has any doubts about DWI dont, even though warranty is more of an issue then just taking it into the store you purchased it from some of the savings are too hard to say no to.

Got myself a 50D and 50mm f/1.8 a while back for $1107, was quoted almost $1600 for the body alone from a local camera dealer... Crazy Stuff.

MYQ73
05-03-2010, 1:58am
I give em the thumbs up, I recently bought a 70-400, 100 macro, F-58AM flash and some filters from them. It arrived in no time at all, with a note saying one filter was currently out of stock and would be delivered as soon as new stock arrived. It was delivered within a week. Also they sent a wrong filter with the 70-400, they paid the postage to return the incorrect filter to them and also gave me the option of a refund as the correct filter is out of stock but I figured I'll just wait as they have said it should arrive next week. As for warrenty side of things .... well if had bought these items locally it would have cost me almost double, so I figure even if something went horribly wrong, I'd still be in front.

wideangle
07-03-2010, 9:43pm
After reading many experiences from members here and on other forums I bit the bullet and ordered a Canon 7D from them on Wednesday and it arrived on Friday! Literally 48 hours after ordering. I made contact with them via the phone and email and all responses were dealt with promptly and helpfully. The box that the camera arrived in was packed very well with thick layers of bubble wrap (took some time to get the box out of the bubble wrap it was that thick!) Would highly recommend them.

rwg717
07-03-2010, 9:48pm

In fact im seriously considering breaking my own rules and buying an extra body from them shortly

I think you might be right!!!!;)
Richard

bobt
08-03-2010, 8:08am
I bought a 500D from them several weeks ago and it was a quick, painless and efficient transaction with mega savings. I'd recommend them!

share50
08-03-2010, 2:59pm
great efficient service will purchase from them again their price was the best for my 100 macro
cheers
Shareen

RamblinR
09-03-2010, 10:55pm
Hi all

Just wondering if everyone is going for the cheap three year Mack Warranty when purchasing?

I am familiar with the name but has anyone had any experience with Mack Warranty - claims etc?

Thanks

rellik666
17-03-2010, 11:26am
Just wanted to give em another vote from me....ordered on Friday, arrived....just now...packed well...shame about the Fedex man :(, but other than that all is great!

:D

Looking forward to using it asap...may even take it out at lunchtime!

:th3: for DWI!

Roo

chris_m
17-03-2010, 8:22pm
Any issues with duty and gst on items over $1k

fairy bombs
20-03-2010, 5:23pm
Was thinking about buying a Canon 17-55 F 2.8 IS lens,i see the have them for $1166,the importers with bricks and mortar in Aus sell them for around $1465,Is it woth the risk?getting this lens from overseas? By the time duty and tax go on is there mich difference?

I see,people mmainly buy bodies from them on this thread,has anyone bought a lens?I see it mentioned that people seem to prefer to buy their lenses in Aus

any advice,would be appreciated FB

Old Skool
20-03-2010, 5:56pm
I bought my Canon 18-135 lens from them via their EBay shop. Approx $200 cheaper than best price I could find in Australia. Arrived in less than a week. Lens was in white box (maybe separated from 7D kit) but all good and lens is fantastic - very happy with it.

Cheers

ricktas
21-03-2010, 7:51am
I approaced DWI about affiliate advertising on AP, at this stage they do not offer affiliate advertising, unfortunately.

Kaz67
21-03-2010, 10:52am
WOW...I have just logged back into Ausphotography after quite a lengthy absence. From reading all these posts I think I have an answer to the initial thread question I started. :th3:

Kerry
22-03-2010, 9:00pm
Was thinking about buying a Canon 17-55 F 2.8 IS lens,i see the have them for $1166,the importers with bricks and mortar in Aus sell them for around $1465,Is it woth the risk?getting this lens from overseas? By the time duty and tax go on is there mich difference?

I see,people mmainly buy bodies from them on this thread,has anyone bought a lens?I see it mentioned that people seem to prefer to buy their lenses in Aus

any advice,would be appreciated FB

Not sure if you saw my earlier post in the thread, but a couple of weeks back I bought a lens and it arrived literally 48 hours later - give or take a few minutes...I was really impressed with their service and wouldn't hesitate to recommend or use them again!

rellik666
08-10-2010, 3:45pm
Just wanted to say, put an order in for the 70-200mm VRII at $2199 + GST....even with GST I am going to come out $500 ahead! Hopefully it will arrive next week!

Roo

rellik666
11-10-2010, 8:14pm
Ordered on Friday! Arrived today! Brilliant!

Roo

wolffman
11-10-2010, 8:54pm

Roo
Roo, how did you get charged GST? Was there any duty to pay on it?

arthurking83
11-10-2010, 8:57pm

Roo

OOOH! .. my new best friend!! :D

maybe we need to organize another meetup.... like.... today! :p

happy hunting Ruth.

tomee
19-10-2010, 10:59am

i usually email them first to check if they have stock.
they reply pretty fast too

rellik666
19-10-2010, 1:13pm
Sorry didn't see these posts.....another meet up? Yes when....lens is amazing! Took some shots of the cyclisting around the bay on Sunday! LOVE em! Just one example of the 70-200 VRII

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4127/5092215359_a782b8ee3a_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pommi/5092215359/)
Day290 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pommi/5092215359/) by australianminiadventure (http://www.flickr.com/people/pommi/), on Flickr

GST the lens only cost $947.... :D

Roo

bitrusty
19-10-2010, 4:07pm
I have used DWI on 4 seperate occasions and couldnt fault them at all.The delivery times have varied from 3 days to a week with them letting me know at all times what was going on.I would recomend and do recomend them to everyone.I will shop with them again.

etherial
19-10-2010, 8:20pm
As I've posted before in this thread I have purchased from them and been quite happy. But, yesterday I decided on purchasing a 50D (as a backup body) and emailed them to see if they had stock (which can be an issue at times). Anyway, they advised that they don't and are getting some hopefully later this week. So tonight I just online to order and the price has gone up $55! :action:

jasevk
19-10-2010, 9:02pm
As I've posted before in this thread I have purchased from them and been quite happy. But, yesterday I decided on purchasing a 50D (as a backup body) and emailed them to see if they had stock (which can be an issue at times). Anyway, they advised that they don't and are getting some hopefully later this week. So tonight I just online to order and the price has gone up $55! :action:

The prices tend to fluctuate in accordance with the Aussie dollar

PhotoRee
21-10-2010, 9:02pm
Who can resist with such great prices right now with the Aussie dollar the way it is. I'm just about to order a body and it's a lot of money for me, so just wondering if others normally choose the insurance option or just go the cheaper postage?

Thanks in advance :)

rwg717
21-10-2010, 9:21pm

Thoroughly agree with this comment:th3:
Richard

rellik666
22-10-2010, 10:39am
Depends on your feeling on GST ....

PhotoRee
25-10-2010, 3:29pm
I placed an order midnight on Thursday, AAE tried to deliver it at 10.25 this morning and I'm in regional Australia! That's faster to get an order from DWI than it is to get letters sent interstate from here! Super impressed, only now I have to wait until tomorrow afternoon to pick up my package, the suspense is going to be a killer!!! ;)

Tjfrnds
25-10-2010, 7:38pm
Placed an order with DWI this afternoon for the Tammy 17-50 2.8. 3 hours later it was 'in the process of being dispatched'. Will advise once received:)

Tjfrnds
27-10-2010, 11:25am
Woohoo just received this morning! Ordered at 1pm on Monday 25th, received at 10:30am today! Lens box was well wrapped in about 5 layers of bubble wrap..took awhile to get into, but definitely worth it:)

so just wondering if others normally choose the insurance option or just go the cheaper postage?

Insurance was only $5 extra so I figured I may as well pay it to be on the safe side.

selaw
17-04-2011, 9:55am
Has anyone looked at their price on the EF 17-40 f/4L lately? I was just having a squiz and noticed it...$1712.00 AUD...What in the world???...Their other lens prices appear to be ok. I got bought mine from another AP member via Camera Market :)

I'm sure when I looked not so long ago it was selling for around $900.00 AUD!!...Other places still seem to be around the $900.00/$1000.000 AUD mark e.g. DigitalRev who earn AP commissions by clicking through their link on this site. Surely got to be a typo :eek:

Boofhead
27-06-2011, 3:24pm
I ordered the Canon 24-105 at 4:30pm on Friday and it arrived at 2:15pm Monday. Fantastic service :) :th3:

rookie
27-06-2011, 6:34pm
I ordered the Canon 24-105 at 4:30pm on Friday and it arrived at 2:15pm Monday. Fantastic service :) :th3:
I also orded from them on monday a 7d and it arrived today.Come from Hong Kong by DHL :th3:

Dylan & Marianne
27-06-2011, 7:14pm
yea they are super quick aren't they - just ordered a 135mm F2 lens on Sunday - email tonight saying it's dispatching tomorrow! let the baby pictures fly in august lol

NikonNellie
27-06-2011, 9:47pm
I bought my D7000 through DWI - ordered on Sunday, Delivered on Wednesday. Good communication. It was the best price I could find. I also liked that I could track every step of my delivery with DHL. AS big Dazzler said previously - smooth as a babies bot. :D