PDA

View Full Version : Camera Bags, what is best

matilda
29-08-2009, 7:35am
I need to get a new camera bag, the one i have the lining is ripping away from the seems on the inside.

I'm not too sure want to get. I would like a back pack style bag because that's easier when I go bush walking. Because at the moment I only take the camera and the lens attached to it, but ideally i'd like to have both lens with me.

So can anyone here give me any suggestions/recommendations on bags.

tia

yummymummy
29-08-2009, 8:32am
I have the lowpro mini trekker and absolutely LOVE it ( thanks Paul :D) It's big enough to fit everything that I own into it,without being too big and bulky, and it's not too heavy either :th3: hope that helps!

phild
29-08-2009, 8:48am
I have both the LowePro Orion Trekker and Flipside 400. The two are like Chalk & Cheese.

The Orion Trekker holds almost as much as the Flipside, but has no waterproof cover and no padding in the upper compartment.

The Flipside 400 holds marginally more than the Trekker and can be swivelled on the waist strap to allow camera removal.

Which is best? For me, the Orion Trekker by a mile, it's simply more comfortable, the flipside is a dog in comparison, the strap shoulder strap placement and general balance of the Flipside isn't comfortable for me, a couple of hours and my shoulders and neck ache, the Orion Trekker on the other hand can be worn all day and is barely noticeable after long periods.

B D H
29-08-2009, 8:54am
I have the Lowepro flipside 400,which fits camera body & about 5 lenses & 2 Flashes
There are smaller sizes,
the feature I like about this one is that you don't have to take the backpack off to get your stuff out & its probably more secure in that it can't be accessed by anyone while it's on your back
The LP Slingshot is also very good

Telby
29-08-2009, 9:32am
I have the Tamrac Adventurer 9.
Its great as i can fit my D300 with 24-70 attached along with another lens and flash.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camera-accessories/tamrac-adventure-9-camera/4505-6447_7-31894465.html

B D H
29-08-2009, 9:45am
I have both the LowePro Orion Trekker and Flipside 400. The two are like Chalk & Cheese.

The Orion Trekker holds almost as much as the Flipside, but has no waterproof cover and no padding in the upper compartment.

The Flipside 400 holds marginally more than the Trekker and can be swivelled on the waist strap to allow camera removal.

Which is best? For me, the Orion Trekker by a mile, it's simply more comfortable, the flipside is a dog in comparison, the strap shoulder strap placement and general balance of the Flipside isn't comfortable for me, a couple of hours and my shoulders and neck ache, the Orion Trekker on the other hand can be worn all day and is barely noticeable after long periods.

Hmmm interesting..... I was going to add that the flipside was very comfortable, I can walk with mine on for a few hours with no real discomfort, I'll take a look at the Orion trekker some time

cheers

arthurking83
29-08-2009, 11:15am
I've had a lowepro trekker as well, and I think the top handle on the Tamrac equivalent is nicer to hold on to due to it's more comfy design.

I didn't like the way the trekker (AW100 from memory??) didn't stand upright with much stability due to the soft base, where the Tamracs and the Vanguard(brand that I have) have a solid plastic base, and stand upright with more sure footedness.

From what I've seen Kata have the best camera bag designs, I think about the same price range as the Lowepro, where Tamrac are about the same, but Vanguard are usually cheaper.

I'm trying to avoid getting a lowepro again, as there are cheaper and/or better alternatives available, but unfortunately for me the next bag that I need is only made by Lowepro! :(

Kaz67
29-08-2009, 12:33pm
I have the Lowepro Slingshot 200AW and I love it....It is really comfortable and I love the easy access to my gear without having to take the bag off! It has a pull out rain cover and lots of loops on the outer to attach smaller bags. The only improvement I think it could do with is a Tripod holder/attachment. (but hey, then my husband would have an excuse not to come with me as he's my official Tripod carrier!) :D

Chookman
29-08-2009, 5:55pm
I use a LowePro CompuTrekker. Has seperate compartment for my Laptop as well as room for all the normal stuff. Prefer a Backpack due to the weight of the gear and the walk from the car at some of the venues can be a bit of a hike. I have thought of a smaller bag and only carry what I need each time but the weight doesn't bother me and I like only having to grab one bag.

The wife bought it for me about two years ago and has taken a real beating during that time. Have been very happy with it.

Chook

Tricky
29-08-2009, 10:09pm
I've been very happy with my 'bagman' backpack. Looks a bit like a Crumpler, but without the price-tag. Something a bit different, styling-wise, from your average camera backpack. I did a full review with pictures here (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=25568).

J.davis
30-08-2009, 12:46am
I outgrew my Lowepro Microtrekker, and now have the Lowepro Minitrekker which carries all my gear as well as the tripod when needed. It is the same size as the Lowepro Computrekker without the computer compartment.:th3:
Pick them up cheap from Ebay (Made in China).

matilda
31-08-2009, 3:30pm
thanks everyone for the replies, now to find one that suits me.

I will start with the ones you have all suggested and go from there.

AusBloke
01-09-2009, 5:16am
Lowepro Slingshot 200AW here. Its a great bag with easy access as you don't have to take it off to get to your gear.

Terri
01-09-2009, 6:44am
I just bought the Micro Trekker 200 on the weekend. Fits more than enough for me (but I don't carry much). Now I just have to customise it a big (de-badge, sew some ribbons on, maybe a flower or two :D) and I'm ready to go!

DJT
01-09-2009, 9:11am

I thought it was just me with the flipside. I have the 300 & yes after a few hours I have the same problem. Must need to buy another bag :D

DAdeGroot
01-09-2009, 10:35am
For quite a while I had the Tamrac 75. It's not a bad, smallish bag (you can just stuff a camera with grip and 400mm lens attached, 70-200 and a 17-40 in it - just). I've since moved up to the Tamrac Expedition 7, a bigger bag, but with much better support for the weight I carry around.

Depending on the job though, I sometimes slim down to a couple of belt attached lens cases and sling the camera over my shoulder.

oiisxc
08-09-2009, 1:40pm
for now im using the EOS canon bag which i got from that promotion that was on little while ago,
great little bag!

Krzys
14-09-2009, 11:00am
Standard messenger bag with domke inserts. The best bag is one that doesn't look like a camera bag, yet functions as one.

GlennSan
14-09-2009, 1:12pm
Standard messenger bag with domke inserts. The best bag is one that doesn't look like a camera bag, yet functions as one.
There is some merit to this from a security viewpoint if you'll be doing city stuff or lot's of travelling, however since I always keep a very watchful eye on my stuff, I haven't bothered to go "undercover" with my own bags.

I often take my gear out on bushwalks of some distance and have only positive things to say about my Lowepro mini-tracker AW. Holds quite enough kit including tripod if required and is very comfortable. No laptop pouch though which may bother some.

Cragle
14-09-2009, 1:16pm
Hi Matilda
I use a Kata 3N1-20 and find it great as a everyday bag. Comes in 3 sizes.

Krzys
14-09-2009, 1:19pm
however since I always keep a very watchful eye on my stuffI am more so bothered with people having a watchful eye on my stuff :confused013

I'd love a decent Lowepro or Domke bag if I had the money, but for now I see the logic in using a cheap reinforced bag so I don't know how much I'd actually use a decent bag if I had one. For climbing/hiking/walking a real photographers bag obviously beats out my junk.

Regnis
14-09-2009, 5:57pm
I use a LowePro CompuTrekker. Has seperate compartment for my Laptop as well as room for all the normal stuff. Prefer a Backpack due to the weight of the gear and the walk from the car at some of the venues can be a bit of a hike. I have thought of a smaller bag and only carry what I need each time but the weight doesn't bother me and I like only having to grab one bag.

The wife bought it for me about two years ago and has taken a real beating during that time. Have been very happy with it.

Chook

I too have this Backpack and it is awesome. I like to take my laptop out with me on some shots and it provides a great padded compartment for it. The bag is very comfortable and has great support around the waist, chest, shoulders and back. Fits my 40D with 70-200 attached plus anouther 5-6 lenses. Adjustable compartments are very convienient. Highly recommend it!!!

Gregg Bell
15-09-2009, 11:39pm
I had my heart in saving up for a primus AW, as its the most appropriate bag for myself, but if im get bajillions of lenses not, i might have to have a rethink

Nicalum
24-09-2009, 4:56pm
I also use the Lowepro Slingshot 200AW. Quick access, very happy!

James Axford
24-09-2009, 5:11pm
if you want to look a little less like a serious photographer i'd go for a crumpler. all have a life time warranty and are very well built.
Australian owned too. you can't go wrong!

Prang
24-09-2009, 6:44pm
I have a Slingshot 200aw, being a big bloke it fits better than an ordinary backpack .

The only issue is when you first get it you have to think about how to put it on:D.

Cheers pete

draco
24-09-2009, 7:04pm
i got the slingshot 200aw and just recently the lowepro rover awii.... i bought the rover because i can't fit anything in the slingshot other the the camera gears whereas the rover aw, it have a big top compartment for extra things like light jumper, lunch and even have a tripod holder :D

mikec
29-09-2009, 10:02am
if you want to look a little less like a serious photographer i'd go for a crumpler. all have a life time warranty and are very well built.
Australian owned too. you can't go wrong!

I have to agree 100% with this. The Million Dollar Home series are great bags, so are their back packs too actually.

Although I do have a LowePro Toploader 70 (my trasher camera bag) for when I'm out with all my climbing gear and stuff since my 8 MDH will just get ruined and is too big to take it with me on those occasions.

Gregg Bell
29-09-2009, 3:24pm
I have to agree 100% with this. The Million Dollar Home series are great bags, so are their back packs too actually.

Although I do have a LowePro Toploader 70 (my trasher camera bag) for when I'm out with all my climbing gear and stuff since my 8 MDH will just get ruined and is too big to take it with me on those occasions.

LMAO at their website

"Ok, we're loading stuff"

and then the description of the Brazillion Dollar Home... LOL :D and then there's a button on their site to fire their web designers