PDA

View Full Version : Optical lens cleaners?

AusBloke
28-08-2009, 8:57pm
I have read the topic on this, but I was wondering if it is safe to use Optical cleaning fluids or prepacked sterile optical wipes on photographic lenses. My wife is an optical dispenser and uses these products on lenses for optics, but will they be safe on photographic lenses?

The brand in question is store branded (Spec Savers) and they use a pentax company owned cleaning solution that won't damage AR coatings.

Cheers.

[This is a repost as I think I posted it in the wrong area before :o)

ricktas
28-08-2009, 9:13pm
Have a look at the chemical make-up of the fluid. My guess is that it would be perfectly safe, but if you can get your hands on an MSDS listing the chemicals, then see if you can find an MSDS for a camera lens cleaning fluid, you can check for a match.

Often though you do not need a fluid at all, a blower brush to blow loose particles off the lens and the brush to loosen any that are a bit stuck, followed by a wipe with a microfibre lens cleaning cloth is all that is needed. I cannot remember the last time I used a fluid on my lenses

AusBloke
28-08-2009, 11:24pm
Ok cheers again Rick.. always the fountain of helpfulness :) She only brought me home some wipes so far, plus a bunch of lens cloths (microfibre) so I am gunna go buy a blower and brush tomorrow, and forget the chemicals.

Thanks

wideangle
07-09-2009, 9:58pm
I have found a microfiber cloth too works wonders, and I have never used any liquid on my lens filters to date. Invest in a bulb blower and use this to blow off any larger specs, and then go over it gently with a microfiber cloth, these things really do work wonders