PDA

View Full Version : RAM upgrade?

Miaow
28-08-2009, 5:28pm
Umm what type ram do i need to upgrade this comp RAM?

Just thought system info may give a type without me opening it up>?

thelastname
28-08-2009, 8:06pm
Download and run CPU-Z (http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php) it will tell you what sort of ram you have. At a guess DDR.

Miaow
28-08-2009, 8:20pm
Download and run CPU-Z (http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php) it will tell you what sort of ram you have. At a guess DDR.

Thanks thats intersting :)

Says sdram?

thelastname
28-08-2009, 8:25pm
I was thinking SD or DDR. If it says SD then it is. Good luck in finding some.

Miaow
28-08-2009, 8:27pm
Good luck in finding some.

does that mean im gonna find it hard lol :eek:

boggo
28-08-2009, 8:32pm
hmm yes it may be a bit hard finding a bit of ram for that that works. you may need to get it in pairs (i.e. you can only put in two chips of RAM and not just 1 - on some older PC's that is the case) as well so watc out for that...

photoshop must be slow on that !

Colinc1
28-08-2009, 8:39pm
Just had a quick google around, you can buy the whole PC -less the monitor on USA ebay for around $20 us :):)
Its a fairly slow and old pc (year 2001) by todays standards:), may as well throw it out, or use it as an electronic typewriter.

DAdeGroot
28-08-2009, 8:40pm
Oooh a GX-150 is rather ancient. SDRAM is what you want, but it's fairly scarce these days are rather expensive.

Depending on your budget, it may be a lot less hassle just to get a new PC. You can get half decent (i.e. blisteringly fast compared to that dinosaur), generic PCs fairly cheaply these days:
eg - http://umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=78&bid=2&sid=19561

Miaow
28-08-2009, 8:42pm
just need the ram really on this ot the whole comp :) even tp bump it up more than 256 be good lol

Miaow
28-08-2009, 8:43pm
umm new pc be nice but trying not to do that in a way :)

Miaow
28-08-2009, 9:18pm
chatting to a friend on msn on stuff -

I ws thinking maybe if did get new comp keep this HD as boot up one (i dont want vista lol) - but friend said new mobo need hd forma and as such i'd need to back up this hd?

Edited reason being:unless you change to the exact same motherboard/ chipset/ CPU the drive wont be read properly

boggo
28-08-2009, 10:39pm
The drive would still function (assuming that the nw motherboard had an IDE style connector), but it will have trouble booting. You could reinstall windows on it and it would work fine. you could also just use it as a 2nd drive for backups and boot from the new drive

Colinc1
29-08-2009, 6:53pm
You could just burn to cd all the data,pics ect you want to keep, my guess is, the h/drive is as old as the pc

You can pick up a really( decent new pc for around $400 at the PC markets,if you are in Victoria (google - Computer Trader -click on -Hugh Tech Market)
and that will show you where the latest sunday markets are, and you could find plenty of ram to suite,cheap too.

Just curious as to why you want to keep that particular PC ?

Prang
29-08-2009, 8:19pm
I reckon Kym might know for sure , but if you buy a computer the shop should be able to mirror (or ghost?)the hard drive to a newer , bigger one.

If you already own XP on the old one you can use it on the new one, if you delete it of the old one when your new one is running.

I also have1x ddr2 512mb 533 for free if any one could use it just pm me.

Cheers Pete

Miaow
29-08-2009, 10:07pm
yeah I'll have to look around a but i think and see what the best thing do is (cost wise:) )

Prang
30-08-2009, 10:31am
I just looked up the specs Cathy and unfortunately 512 mb is the most ram the board will hold.

If the kids are school age you can get a bit back of tax next year:confused013.

Cheers Pete

arthurking83
30-08-2009, 12:30pm
Your PC wil be running slowly because you only have 256M of RAM.. I've noticed that you'll need at least 512 for Windows to run a bit more smoothly, and 1G is the minimum for the PC to run at modern speeds.

You can configure the system to look like Win2000 which wil help the PC to run faster(I did that to my kids old recycled laptop) and while it's not 'purdey' with blinking lights and eye candy, at least it runs faster!

EDIT: Right Click My Computer and go to properties. Click of the Advanced tab. Click the Performance button and try to turn off as many visual styles as possible.. especially stuff like Use visual styles on windows and buttons (that return the look of Windows XP back to the grey on grey look of WIN2K. Makes a bit of a performance difference on an old system with minimal RAM. You can keep a few settings enabled such as smooth edges of screen fonts or use common tasks in folders.. but I've turned off more than half the ticked itmes in that list and my PC runs quite good for an old 6year old system(especially considering I'm running CaptureNX with D300 NEF's! :eek:)

I eventually managed to get 768M on the kids lappy now and it's been less of an issue(remember we're talking impatient 7 and 9 year olds! :D)

I have many sticks of RAM in my collection of SINTCOOD('Stuff I Need To Chuck Out One Day') .. if there's a 256M stick in there, I'll try to get it to 'ya Cat.

may take me a few days to find it tho.. as I'm currently in a bit of a mess(organised study mess that is.. not personal headspace! :p). I recently rearranged my study and I got .... 'stuff to chuck out one day' everywhere.... but in no particular order.