PDA

View Full Version : Pentax K-7 hands on

Kym
26-08-2009, 4:30pm
I've had my K-7 for nearly week now; have had a K100D in the past and still have a K20D.
I've not had much time to get out and an do anything serious; so just had a good play at home and a good read of the manual while playing with menus...

Usability...
1. It does feel different - not bad - just different to the K20D (K-7 is smaller)
2. The extra controls are great - just takes a little getting used to
3. The new Menu is better - the Info button is part of that system so get used to it
4. You really need to take a good hour or more to understand the new usability
5. The new viewfinder and liveview are great - horizon indicator! (3" 921k px)
6. AF is MUCH faster
7. ISO button is a good move
8. Metering seems good
9. Nothing missing from the K20D - just different
10. The push button needed to turn the mode dial was anoying at first but you cant accidentally switch modes either
11. Had to upgrade the firmware to 1.01 (shipped with 1.00)

Movies...
1. Capture works well - what can I say
2. The inbuilt audio pickup sux - external mike is require if you are serious

Images... (from the little I have done seriously)
1. Have two images entered in comps
2. Sensor while faster (frame rate) produces what the K20D did (and I'm happy with that)
3. The new HDR is interesting - JPEG only - but does well - must use tripod!
4. The new shadow compensation seems to work well
5. ISO 6400 is ok if you use the NR at medium or higher
6. ISO 1600 is better than I expected
7. The extended dynamic range is better than the K20D
8. Shake reduction is at least as good as the K20D - cant really test but I'm guessing maybe 1/2 stop better
9. I could not get the 'green line' syndrome a few early units had (as reported elsewhere and limited to a couple of batch numbers) - GOOD

I think I have a lot of playing to do :cheeky33:
I'll post images over the next few weeks as I learn how to use it.

Ellen
26-08-2009, 6:39pm
Sounds exciting Kym! Looking forward to seeing some shots :)

JM Tran
26-08-2009, 6:43pm
Now to mate the camera with some Limited Lenses to make the most of the high MP sensor:)

cant wait for u to post pics in both jpeg and raw converts

pgbphotographytas
26-08-2009, 9:20pm
The K7 sounds really good, maybe one day I will be able to get one.

MattC
26-08-2009, 9:48pm
As much as I would like the K7, I value my man bits too much :eek: - I think I am going to have to wait until the next model.

Would be good to see some of your images Kym - post away!

Lost My Box
26-08-2009, 11:11pm
Sounds like you're having great fun Kym, can't wait for your photos!

Mine's coming tomorrow!! :D

Prang
26-08-2009, 11:22pm
My K100d is on flea bay, I was going to get a K20d ($990 Camera Electronics Perth) but I might go for broke.

Is it worth the extra $500 Kym? (say yes):D

Cheers Pete

Kym
26-08-2009, 11:29pm
My K100d is on flea bay, I was going to get a K20d ($990 Camera Electronics Perth) but I might go for broke.

Is it worth the extra $500 Kym? (say yes):D

Cheers Pete

Yes! But there are a few things that I really needed wanted like the faster frame rate, faster AF, and we had thought about a video camera - now don't need one.

Nel has been nice to me budget wise - not in small part due to a very good tax return on my part. Must have support from the better half :D

Prang
26-08-2009, 11:51pm
I'm just looking at ebay for the prices of First Born!!;)

Kym
04-09-2009, 4:41pm
I'm just looking at ebay for the prices of First Born!!;)

Yeah. Now I know why Nel let me get the K-7 - she has her eye on some new jewellery :rolleyes:

mudman
04-09-2009, 5:15pm
I have just been advised that my K7 has been picked up by the courier and will be in my hands monday morning. whoooooooo bloody hooooooooooo.

Kym
04-09-2009, 8:24pm
I have just been advised that my K7 has been picked up by the courier and will be in my hands monday morning. whoooooooo bloody hooooooooooo.

Yay!
Can I suggest you download the Manual and have a good read before you get it - there is a lot to absorb
http://www.pentax.jp/english/imaging/digital/slr/k-7/feature.html
http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/download_manual.html

Also: There is a firmware upgrade. (1.01) Mine did not have it from the factory.
http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/download_digital.html
Make sure...
a) Battery is fully charged
b) Read the instructions twice before commencing the firmware upgrade
c) Be patient - it takes a few minutes

You will have to wait some hours for the first battery charge - the K-7 battery has much more capacity than the K20D.

Big Red
01-10-2009, 4:43pm
took a bit more fiddling than the K20 but i'm happy with mine now ... except for some dots on the sensor i can't wet clean off :confused013

Prang
02-10-2009, 10:51pm
took a bit more fiddling than the K20 but i'm happy with mine now ... except for some dots on the sensor i can't wet clean off :confused013

Thats not good Shane, did you use the Dust Alert System it will show you exactly where the bits are on the sensor.

If it came from the shop like that I would be sending it back.

I @ M
03-10-2009, 6:38am
About what I expected to hear about it on line at http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk7/ now. :)

Kym
03-10-2009, 7:23am
Good read. High ISO in JPEG mode is a slight issue - I shoot raw which is on a par with the others.
You get similar features in competitive models (with Video/Live view) you pay US$500 more.

I @ M
03-10-2009, 7:54am
Kym, from a Nikon / Pentax perspective, if you wanted a camera to use for studio, landscape and general daylight use where fast frame rate and super high ISO levels are not so important the K7 with quality lenses is a stand out winner because the price difference ( at a retail level this morning ) is $1260.00 aud in the Pentax's favour against the D300s.

Analog6
03-10-2009, 8:02am
A horizon indicator sounds like a great idea - other manufacturers take note please!

Harves
03-10-2009, 8:10am
A horizon indicator sounds like a great idea - other manufacturers take note please!

Nikon has had gridlines in the viewers since the F80 that I know of, great for lining up horizons, poles, buildings or anything that can look bad if not corrected. Can be used in both portrait and landscape.

Kym
03-10-2009, 11:04am
Nikon has had gridlines in the viewers since the F80 that I know of, great for lining up horizons, poles, buildings or anything that can look bad if not corrected. Can be used in both portrait and landscape.

The K-7 has an electronic 'spirit level' that displays and shows you proportionally how tilted you camera body is are until +/-5 degrees (then goes red).
It works in both portrait and landscape and displays in the view finder and/or live view. :lightbulb:

Very useful feature I've been using a lot - saves on editing later ;)

The viewfinder also has a grid and there are alternate focus screens available with various grid line configurations.

Kym
03-10-2009, 11:10am
Kym, from a Nikon / Pentax perspective, if you wanted a camera to use for studio, landscape and general daylight use where fast frame rate and super high ISO levels are not so important the K7 with quality lenses is a stand out winner because the price difference ( at a retail level this morning ) is $1260.00 aud in the Pentax's favour against the D300s.

$1260!! That's some nice Glass right off the bat! Thanks.

The frame rate is not shabby 5+ raw/second (which is higher than many cameras).
High ISO in raw is on par - the JPG mode is the problem.
And in practice the new AF performance is a big step forward from the K20D and is great to use.

PentaxDSLRs
15-10-2009, 3:34pm
The more I use the K-7 the more I like it. I have been fortunate enough to own every Pentax DSLR produced in the last three years. The new K-x is now available in some places and with the Sony 12MP CMOS sensor, I suspect the image quality will be the best thus far. 12MP is the optimum for the APS-C sensors.

Kym
15-10-2009, 3:58pm
The more I use the K-7 the more I like it. I have been fortunate enough to own every Pentax DSLR produced in the last three years. The new K-x is now available in some places and with the Sony 12MP CMOS sensor, I suspect the image quality will be the best thus far. 12MP is the optimum for the APS-C sensors.

I agree re: the K-7.
I'm planning several photo projects in the next week, to the point of booking them with Nel (who is our social secretary :cheeky33: )

These being my favorites from the K-7 for now...
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=39540
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=39427

scheery
15-10-2009, 6:15pm
I have just purchased a K7. Still getting used to it (from a K10D) & setting it up as I like it. Takes me a
while.

Kym
15-10-2009, 8:10pm
I have just purchased a K7. Still getting used to it (from a K10D) & setting it up as I like it. Takes me a while.

G'Day & Welcome to AP!
An SA Pentax shooter - you must be cool!! :cool:
I suggest you post an Introduction :th3:

The K-7 menu is totally different - I used my K20D (similar menu to the K10D) a week ago - took me a moment to re-align.
On balance I like the K-7 is better menu - esp. if you remember to use the Info button and the ISO button.

Prang
17-10-2009, 7:32pm
I have changed my AV, TV and M settings so my Front Dial does the main task .

e.g. AV the front dial changes Aperture and the rear dial does ISO.

TV Front is shutter speed and rear ISO.

M Front is Aperture and rear is Shutter.

Could be a problem changing ISO accidentaly but seems to work ok for now.

Cheers

MattC
17-10-2009, 9:05pm
An SA Pentax shooter - you must be cool!! :cool:

Doesn't that go without saying?? ;)

Beej
26-04-2010, 8:21pm
Anyone have an opinion on the dynamic range from the k7? Comparative to the d300?

Muleyinoz
18-10-2011, 11:55pm
Have had my K-7 for about a year and love it. I do find it a bit annoying when switching to video mode and pressing the shutter release there seems to be a lag. When I press again to stop videoing I find I am usually starting one and have missed all I thought I shot. Any thoughts?

reaction
19-10-2011, 5:51pm
every DSLR has lag going video to photo mode :th3:
I'm always doing one or the other, not trying to switch between them to do both!