PDA

View Full Version : Will Lee filters fit into Cokin holders?

Bear Dale
25-08-2009, 6:45pm
Does anyone know if Lee filters will fit into Cokin holders?

leanneqld
25-08-2009, 6:49pm
I have read that they will

http://www.2filter.com/prices/nd_graduals_P.html

ricktas
25-08-2009, 6:51pm
They fit the Cokin Z-Pro system

Bear Dale
26-08-2009, 9:49am
Thanks for the replies. The Lee holders are very pricey.

rob149bm
03-09-2009, 1:30am
Lee filters are pricey but from what i have read on them they are very good weather they are twice as good when you get one let all of us know if we should upgrade from cokin to Lee

Analog6
03-09-2009, 4:41am
I have just invested in the Lee filters (ND soft grad set) bought, with a Lee 10 holder wallet, from the UK. They were much cheaper. I thought I had ordered the holder and ring but something went wrong and I had not. I bought it a Vanbar, and they got it o me in 48 hours in time for this trip.

The holders are far and away better than the Cokin. You can buy more bits and stack them so ypou cvan fir 5-6 filters. The filters are superb! As far as I am concerned (IMHO) Cokin are not even in the same 'ball park' - and I am a long time enthusiast of Cokin filters. The investment is well worth it. I plan to get a few more as I go, a grad set (think it is sunset) which has a tobacco and a couple of others.

See if you can find a local stockist and have a look so ypu can compare for yourself.

If you are near the Gold Coast you can come and look at my filters if you like (LOL at the unintended pun here!), or I hope to be at the meetup in a week or two.

aramis
25-10-2009, 1:27am
Hey Analog6 - from which site did you order your Lee's from?

Analog6
25-10-2009, 7:43am
Hey Analog6 - from which site did you order your Lee's from?

I got my holders from Vanbar (http://www.vanbar.com.au/) (I thought I ordered one from the British mob but it didn't register), but the filter set and 10 filter case (very nice too, good padding etc) I got from a British site Teamwork Digital. (http://www.teamworkphoto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=10683&zenid=39796f4292550ab8d547a4066708aa73).

With the $AUD being so high it is a better choice now for them, the price plus exchange is lower, and if your purchase is under $1000.00 customs don't pester you at all.

That said, I got fantastic service and assistance from Vanbar.

Xenedis
15-11-2009, 5:26am
I invested in Lee filters.

I bought the following:

Lee Foundation Kit (ie, the holder);
82mm wide-angle adapter (to mount the holder to the lens);
0.6 (two-stop) 6 x 4" soft GND filter; and
0.9 (three-stop) 6 x 4" soft GND filter.

I bought all of the above from www.studiokitdirect.co.uk.

At the time (April, 2009), the UK price came to £181.25, and the amount debited by Studio Kit Direct totalled $378.67.

Locally, Vanbar wanted $577.50 for the same gear!

I steered clear of the Cokin filters, as they are known to introduce a magenta/purple colour cast. See the following image and discussion for details:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brentbat/2372603825/

ricktas
15-11-2009, 8:19am
I invested in Lee filters.

I bought the following:

Lee Foundation Kit (ie, the holder);
82mm wide-angle adapter (to mount the holder to the lens);
0.6 (two-stop) 6 x 4" soft GND filter; and
0.9 (three-stop) 6 x 4" soft GND filter.

I bought all of the above from www.studiokitdirect.co.uk.

At the time (April, 2009), the UK price came to £181.25, and the amount debited by Studio Kit Direct totalled $378.67.

Locally, Vanbar wanted $577.50 for the same gear!

I steered clear of the Cokin filters, as they are known to introduce a magenta/purple colour cast. See the following image and discussion for details:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brentbat/2372603825/

It is interesting that the Cokin magenta cast issue comes up every time, but it is not common. (Yes it does happen, as your link shows), but it doesn't happen all the time. In fact I use the Z-Pro system and have seen it once, on a series of photos of a waterfall, and haven't experienced it again. (Maybe it is a quality control issue and some people get filters that do it, and others don't)

Interestingly a reasonably recent thread here on AP, found that Canon users experienced it much more often than Nikon users, which had us wondering about the mechanics of the camera's being part of the cause (possibly the filter on the front of the sensor exacerbating the cast). So we started to postulate that the cause is a combination of things, not just the filters themselves.

My conclusion is the colour cast can and does happen, but it is over represented as a reason not to buy Cokin.

Xenedis
15-11-2009, 1:08pm
It is interesting that the Cokin magenta cast issue comes up every time, but it is not common. (Yes it does happen, as your link shows), but it doesn't happen all the time.

Interesting...

In fact I use the Z-Pro system and have seen it once, on a series of photos of a waterfall, and haven't experienced it again. (Maybe it is a quality control issue and some people get filters that do it, and others don't)

Quite possibly. I've certainly heard numerous claims about magenta colour casts, so it seems to be a fairly common theme with that particular brand.

One person in a discussion on Flickr claimed that the colour cast only happens if you stack grads. I stack mine, so that result wouldn't be acceptable to me.

Another person in the same thread went out and stacked his Cokins, and got the colour cast.

One other person claimed that the issue only arises when the camera is set to auto white balance.

Here's the thread:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/ozlandscapes/discuss/72157605779219637/

Interestingly a reasonably recent thread here on AP, found that Canon users experienced it much more often than Nikon users, which had us wondering about the mechanics of the camera's being part of the cause (possibly the filter on the front of the sensor exacerbating the cast). So we started to postulate that the cause is a combination of things, not just the filters themselves.

That is quite interesting.

Do you have a link to that thread, by any chance? It'd be interesting to read.

From what I have observed, stacking of Cokins results in the colour cast.

When you experienced the colour cast, did you have filters stacked? If so, what filters were they?

My conclusion is the colour cast can and does happen, but it is over represented as a reason not to buy Cokin.

To be perfectly honest, I haven't looked much into the cause (or causes, as it may be) beyond what's in Brent's photo (to which I linked previously) and that Flickr thread I referenced above.

Brent shoots Nikon, whereas I shoot Canon.

I haven't actually tried the Cokin filters with my gear, but his findings alone were enough to steer me clear of the Cokin GNDs.

Frankly the apparent unpredictability of the Mysterious Magenta Maelstrom isn't something that rests well either.

The only complaint I'd offer about the Lee filters is that they're considerably more expensive. :-)

ricktas
15-11-2009, 1:47pm
I stack both my ND grads and my ND's all the time, and have experienced the magenta cast once only. Tried to find the other thread using search and couldn't locate it, but it was a few months ago now.

Xenedis
15-11-2009, 2:10pm
I stack both my ND grads and my ND's all the time, and have experienced the magenta cast once only. Tried to find the other thread using search and couldn't locate it, but it was a few months ago now.

Ah, thanks for that.

It seems that people's experienced vary.

I'm not sure if there is a definitive answer to why the magenta colour casts exists, or what set of circumstances produces it; the reports vary.

falke
30-10-2010, 5:34pm
Hi there
I have chosen to use the lee filters ...
However, I thought I am smart and use them with the Cokin Z-pro system on my Sigma 10-20mm with a 77mm adapter. Cokin because I thought it is cheaper and the filters are the important part.

whilst Cokin might work well with most Lee GND or whatever filters, I don't think the Big Stopper does.

The big stopper is my first filter.
I get flare on every shot looking quite similar - one circular segment above and one below.
First I had the view finder not covered.
But after taking care of that, the flare was exactly the same.

Just then I examined the filter and the holder again and noticed that the foam backing on the Big Stopper does not correspond with the Cokin frame. I.e. some sections of the foam are not touching the filter backing plate - possibly allowing light to enter.
I looked further and found another light source. It is at the connection of adapter to filter holder: there are gaps in places, maybe less than a 10th of a mm which also could allow light to enter.

Ps Is the Cokin Z system made of hard plastic ? (just wondering if I got a genuine one)

davros
31-10-2010, 10:55am
Yes the Cokin holder is made of plastic. I've just recently bought a big stopper and noticed the same gaps around the foam as you have. When i get time I'm going to mod my cokin holder to hopefully fill those gaps - otherwise I'll have to toss it and get a Lee holder.

falke
10-11-2010, 5:34pm
Yes the Cokin holder is made of plastic. I've just recently bought a big stopper and noticed the same gaps around the foam as you have. When i get time I'm going to mod my cokin holder to hopefully fill those gaps - otherwise I'll have to toss it and get a Lee holder.

I just got my Lee filter holder and there is not the slightest improvement from the Cokin filter holder. Cokin z and Lee 100mm is pretty much exactly the same size and the light around the foam of the big stopper enters in exactly the same manner. However, the adapters (I assume) once I get them I am sure will not let in any light between holder and adapters in the Lee brand. I am going to have to modify my stopper - take off the foam and find a suitable replacement. I am disappointed that Lee did not take better care of that. Hopefully I get a good price for my Cokin holder and adapters on ebay.

maccaroneski
10-11-2010, 6:22pm
[QUOTE=Analog6;388669 I plan to get a few more as I go, a grad set (think it is sunset) which has a tobacco and a couple of others.

[/QUOTE]

Odille is there any point in getting coloured filters based on what one can do in post these days?

davros
13-11-2010, 1:52pm
falke, I took mine out a couple of weeks ago for the sculptures by the sea and didn't see the problem you mentioned. Are you mounting the filter on the front side of the holder or the back? If you reverse the cokin holder then the big stopper will seal better. There is still a bit of a light gap, but not much.

falke
14-11-2010, 1:35am
falke, I took mine out a couple of weeks ago for the sculptures by the sea and didn't see the problem you mentioned. Are you mounting the filter on the front side of the holder or the back? If you reverse the cokin holder then the big stopper will seal better. There is still a bit of a light gap, but not much.

I modified the big stopper and it seems to seal pretty good with the Lee filter holder (after reversing the slider plate closest to the filter holder for an even better fit.). I loosened the foam on the big stopper where it needed to move with a blade and pushed it further to the outside.

I @ M
14-11-2010, 8:06am
Odille is there any point in getting coloured filters based on what one can do in post these days?

I'm not Odille but I reckon that question almost needs a separate thread with a long and detailed series of answers ( think AK83 style :D )

My take on it and to give an answer to your question is to break it down into

(A) What software is used for post? Not all programs can recreate the effects of filters but many of those programs can produce excellent developments of photographs.

(B) How deep is your wallet? A few pieces of coloured plastic and a filter holder are considerably less expensive than CS5.

Both methods can completely ruin a good photograph if used incorrectly, the software option at least gives you the option of erasing your mistakes but I would prefer be out there taking photographs and learning how to use the filters rather than sitting at a pc / mac. :rolleyes:

maccaroneski
14-11-2010, 10:37am
I'm all for getting it right in camera,. but I would have thought that in relation to (a), even the most basic software these days could replicate the effect of a coloured filter (assuming that the filter "eats" light and that is not the intended effect) and in relation to (b) see (a) above, i.e. you've got the software anyway, so the filter option will cost you more money.

peterb666
14-11-2010, 3:27pm
The effect with a coloured filter will be slightly different than that achieved with software. Essentially you are allowing more light of the colour through that matched that of the sensor and blocking varying amounts of other colour as you move away from the filter colour. I would expect that the differences between what can achieved with a colour filter and with software are in most cases quite pointless and it would be best to save the money.

Software does much more than alter colours and I don't see filters as a substitute for software and there is some stuff that is always better to try and get right with filters such as light attenuation with ND and GND filters and polarisation.

falke
15-11-2010, 5:33pm

Of course I made a fool of myself. I just received the adapters (wide angle) and my earlier complaints are not valid anymore. Whilst the filter holder by itself would let light in as mentioned above, together with the adapter ring, the seal with the big stopper is perfect. How could I doubt the Lee engineers (stupid me). I tested it and I am very impressed. the flaring has disappeared completely. As stated in the manual I needed to cover the view finder which provided further improvement (different to flair).

However, I stand by my earlier statement that the Cokin System does not work with the Big Stopper.

leeduguid
16-11-2010, 5:41am
I've upgraded from Cokin to HiTech (Formatt) to Lee. Don't waste your time, if you can afford it buy the Lee filters, if you can't, wait. The rest really don't compare. Your Cokins will fit in the Lee filter holder so if you want to upgrade piece by piece this is a good way to go. The Cokin holder encroaches into the frame at wide angles when stacking filters.

I recommend Lee filters all the way although the polarizing filter is very expensive. You can use the Cokin CPL as a cheap alternative with the Lee filter holder. It isn't held securely in place like the Cokin so use some bulldog clips to hold it. Check out my blog post regarding filters and filter holders (Cokin/Lee) (http://www.leeduguid.com.au/blog/tips/filters-filter-holders-and-vignetting/) for more info.

peterb666
16-11-2010, 2:39pm
The Cokin holder encroaches into the frame at wide angles when stacking filters.

Interesting comment. I don't know if you are referring to the P-series or the Z-Pro.

In the Z-Pro, you can reverse the lens adapter so only 1 filter is forward facing. The Z-Pro holder can also be dissassmbled, rearranged and bits moved or added, for example to have just 2 standard slots at the front or 1 standard slot and 1 wide slot (so you can use either a standard filter or a polariser).

While the P-series is not as adaptable, there is a wide-angle version which holds a single filter and it costs around $14 in Australia or $5 from eBay (presumably a clone).

I found your linked article rather amusing. The vignetting wasn't due to either the Z-Pro or Lee filter holders (which pretty much provided the same amount of vignetting - it was all due to the Canon 17-40mm lens which just happened to vignette the same without a filter holder. It is pretty bad too so you have to wonder what Canon are up to.

There does seem to be some vignetting of the corners of the frame with Cokin polariser with the corners just cut off - but you still have the 17-40mm lens playing its bit.

As for the banding issue, thats a new one to me. I have HiTech 4-stop and 8-stop filters. Neither band on my Olympus E-P1 and the 4-stopper on my Nikon D-90 (havent used the 8-stopper on that) works file too.

Colour cast is a problem from around 7-stops (individual filters or staked) with HiTech yet I know of one person using the 10-stopper that has never found an issue. Maybe there is some variation from batch to batch of the filters - but there shouldn't be.

In the larger sizes, Lee are not that more expensive than HiTech other than in the polariser so it may well be worthwhile going to Lee in 4" wide filters and then sourcing the polariser elsewhere. Does anyone have experience with the HiTech polariser?

Another option for filter holders would be the HiTech one but they use a front, ring mounted 105mm polariser on thier 4" filters and a 95mm ring mounted job on the 85mm P-series. I think this would present more problems than having the first slot for the polariser as done by Cokin.