PDA

View Full Version : Resizing Photos

JessJane
23-08-2009, 10:15am
It is really frustrating me that I can't upload a picture due to the file dimension being currently 1600 x 1200 and is meant to be 1024 x 1024.
Now I hate to admit it, but I only have Photoshop Adobe Elements, and when I go to resize the photo, the pixel dimensions are set to 1600 x 1200 and I can't change them.
Is there any way of fixing this, because this never seems to happen to any other photos I go to resize, or are there any other ways of resizing?

Help would be very much appreciated

Jess :D

matilda
23-08-2009, 10:18am
you can also resize images in microsoft picture manager

DAdeGroot
23-08-2009, 10:24am
Remember that 1024x1024 is actually shorthand to say, the longest edge must be no bigger than 1024 pixels.

I haven't used Elements, but I'd imagine that it'd work somewhat like full photoshop. So Image -> Image Size -> change 1600 to 1024 (the other side should change automatically), Ok. Save As a different file and upload away :)

Found after a quick google:

Resize your photos in Photoshop Elements:
- Click Image; Resize, and choose Image Resize.
- Make sure the chain icon next to the resizing options appears linked so that you don't accidentally distort your image.
- Select a new pixel width or height, or shrink the image a certain percentage.
- Click OK.

Miaow
23-08-2009, 10:25am
you should be able to change the dimentions - would be under something like edit - resize/resample etc? - dont have elements so not sure on where it would be

With the sizing the longest side needs to be 1024 (or less ) x the image doesnt actually have to be square (1024x1024)

Another good way of resizing a pic is using bdsizer which will also let you alter the file size
Can download it here (http://www.idimagersystems.com/FreeWare/setup_BDSizerV3_BETA.exe) - is free :)

Use this utility to downsize your existing images to a self-definable maximum file size. You can apply caption titles and frames. Includes an XMP Editor to view/edit existing XMP information. Also keeps your Exif information.

After batch resizing your images you can instantly transfer them to your favorite photo sharing service: FlickR, SmugMug, ZenFolio, Picasaweb, Facebook, or a "good-old" FTP Server.

etherial
23-08-2009, 11:22am
In PSE you can also go to File -> Save for web and a window will open allowing you to change the dimensions. Also there is an arrow up the top right that if you click you can set the filesize you want, and it will automatically set the jpeg compression to achieve that size.

Duffer
08-08-2010, 10:01pm
can any body let me know how to resize photos on windows vista so i can upload photos to this site
thanks

Kym
08-08-2010, 10:07pm
http://www.idimager.com/downloads/freeware BDsizer is free and easy to use for JPEG images

ameerat42
09-08-2010, 12:45pm
Jeepers guys! Have I missed something? Somebody just tell Jess to make sure to tick the "Resample Image" box. I'm sure she was asking how to do it in Elements, after all. Am.

ameerat42
09-08-2010, 12:56pm
OK, here. Originally captured at 1920x1200 pixels. Sure, I cropped a bit, but look in the Image Size dialog box. I use a percentage to reduce or increase the image size, but that doesn't matter: you can type in your pixels. Then make sure you re-sample the image, otherwise you'll keep the original pixel size. Am.

fishead
03-10-2010, 1:16pm
Thanks for the tip on the bdsizer Cat. It worked a treat.