PDA

View Full Version : Rechargable Batteries AA - what to look for?

OutCast
18-08-2009, 1:39pm
What are the best kind of batteries for Canon 580EXII flashes?

2500's Energisers?

CJH
18-08-2009, 1:41pm
I got a Pack off them.

2450mHa if i remember correctly, the went lasted over a week just sitting in the flash and around 1000 Shots

Kym
18-08-2009, 2:28pm
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=24359

I would stay away from Energisers.

Talk to Jeff here: http://servaas.com.au/

Maha Powerex 2700mAh NiMh AA rechargeable Batteries or
Powerex Imedion 2100mAh AA rechargeable Batteries (low discharge = long shelf life with near full charge)

Add in a Maha Powerex MH-C9000 WizardOne Battery Charger & Analyzer and you will never have AA troubles again.

I have a C9000 and Powerex for my flash.
I also have some Sanyo Eneloops (low discharge) which are very good.

pgbphotographytas
18-08-2009, 3:13pm
These are what I use in all my gear (I have 16 of them)
http://www.en.varta-consumer.com/content.php?path=/1522_1192697702.html&&domain=www.en.varta-consumer.com

I have the 2100mAh ones and have had no issues.

DAdeGroot
18-08-2009, 3:20pm
DO NOT buy Energizers. They do not hold their charge and will die rather quickly.

Get Sanyo Eneloops or Powerex Imideons. Both are slow discharge type NiMH batteries. i.e. they'll hold 80% charge after a year, so they're always ready when you need them. They go for about $20/4 AAs but are totally worth it.

On top of that, get an intelligent charger - something like a Maha C9000, you can dial in a slow charge and they shutoff based on charge, time and temp. as opposed to generic timed chargers that tend to overcharge your batteries and thus shorten their life.

All of these can be got from www.servaas.com.au (great guys btw), or the Sanyo batteries are also available from Dick Smith stores.

Kym
18-08-2009, 3:51pm
I think Dave said what I said. :D :D :D

I totally agree!

DAdeGroot
18-08-2009, 3:54pm
I think Dave said what I said. :D :D :D

I totally agree!

I noticed that after I'd hit Submit Reply ;-)

jev
18-08-2009, 4:01pm
Dave wins the jackpot ;)

There are a couple of features that are noteworthy:
1) Capacity (expressed in mAh)
2) Voltage (in V)
3) Internal resistance (in Ohm)

You can compare capacity with the contents of the fueltank in your car. If you always floor it, the tank will be empty pretty quickly. If you drive as if you're on eggs, its contents brings you a lot further. For a flash, capacity translates to the number of shots you can fire before the batteries are depleted. There is one problem though: self-discharge. It's as if there are holes in the fueltank; after a week, you've lost a couple of liters, no matter if you drive it or not. That happens with rechargeable batteries too: if you load them, than store them a long time before actually using them, you won't be able to use the flash as often anymore.

Voltage doesn't really matter very much for a flash - it's current that is important. The current the batteries deliver determines how fast your flash recycles. Current = voltage / resistance. Now, all NiMH batteries use a voltage of 1.2V. Most non-rechargeable batteries provide 1.5V. However, the internal resistance of NiMH batteries is lower (especially when not completely full anymore), making them the better choice for your flash.

In the end, Eneloops are a great choice; they just are not available in capacities > 2000 mAh as far as I know. If you use the flash regularly and use batteries in one go until they're flat, a standard NiMH battery just might do better (there are some out there that go up to 3200 mAh or so). However, if you use the flash for a couple of shots and than put it away for a couple of weeks before using it again, Eneloops definitely are the better choice.

campo
18-08-2009, 4:34pm
I use Maha Powerex 2700mAh NiMh AA rechargeable Batteries as my primary set for my Nikon SB-600 speedlight. My second set are Sanyo Eneloops which (as mentioned above) hold their charge for longer periods of time.

I also use a Maha charger that has individual circuits for batteries (ie. i can charge different types of batteries or odd numbers at the same time).

I @ M
18-08-2009, 6:46pm
The intelligent chargers seem to be well regarded and I must investigate them. As for batteries we have had 2 sets of Lenmar R2G (http://www.batteriesinaflash.com/rechargeables/aa/lenmar-pre-charged-r2g-aa-rechargeable-batteries-2150mah-4pk) batteries on the go for over 12 months with regular heavy use in an SB800 and now an SB600 as well.
They come "ready to go" as the name suggests right out of the packet and so far with recharging done from totally flat mostly they have provided excellent service.
Price wise, about $22.00 for 4 from memory, we will be buying another 2 sets this week and they last for 100's of discharges before recharging is needed.

imagemelbourne
18-08-2009, 7:02pm
I looove Eneloops (by Sanyo) - they keep their charge for up to 12 months. Pretty much all the ultra high capacity ones will be flat in a week or 2 after charging. The Eneloops I have are 2000mAh, I think thats pretty standard. The great thing is I can leave them in my bag and several months later they are ready to use. Fully charged 2000 mAh is much more useful than dead flat 2700 IMHO.

I use slow charger as you get a LOT more cycles out of a set of batteries that way. ALL fast chargers make the batteries hot and heat kills batteries, I have had brand name ones die in under 10 cycles. I have had some snazzy chargers and they are gathering dust, the cheap Eneloop or Energiser 8-12 hour chargers work well and look after your batteries.

Instead of buying an expensive charger buy one extra set of Eneloops and you'll always have some charged batteries available.

Prang
18-08-2009, 7:19pm
I use Sony Eneloops in the K100d, they last a lot longer than my Vitara 2100 Mha and are only 2000 Mha.

I'm not sure if it would be the same for Flashes as Cameras?

Cheers Pete

campo
19-08-2009, 1:32pm
Pretty much all the ultra high capacity ones will be flat in a week or 2 after charging.

I can guarantee my PowerEx 2700's don't go flat that quick...I shot a wedding on the gold coast almost two weeks ago and used a bit of flash at the reception and they're still going fine as of last night...

Kym
19-08-2009, 1:59pm
I use slow charger as you get a LOT more cycles out of a set of batteries that way. ALL*# fast chargers make the batteries hot and heat kills batteries, I have had brand name ones die in under 10 cycles. I have had some snazzy chargers and they are gathering dust, the cheap Eneloop or Energiser 8-12 hour chargers work well and look after your batteries.

*#That's only true for cheap fast chargers. :cool:

A MaHa C9000 charges and discharges, cycles etc. It is a true battery management system.

Fast chargers are fine ... IF they cut out before overheating or overcharging.
The C9000 is very good at that; the cells are never hot only a little warm (normal) after charging.

The C9000 lets you fully program the charge rate. So you can do a 1/10th C slow or 1/2 or higher C fast charge.
Either way the C9000 will not overcharge or overheat your cells.

Do some research. :lightbulb: Google: Maha c9000 review

I know I sound like an advert but I have had significant experience with rechargeable battery technologies in various applications over the last 20 or so years. (RC aircraft; portable radio and computer gear (warehousing application); computer UPS etc).
I know what works; also what is myth and fact.

NGP
19-08-2009, 2:23pm
the Sanyo 2700mAh NiMH have given me the best performance from all the different brands I have tried so far and have stuck with those ever since.. highly recommended!

para
19-08-2009, 2:57pm
These are what I use in all my gear (I have 16 of them)
http://www.en.varta-consumer.com/content.php?path=/1522_1192697702.html&&domain=www.en.varta-consumer.com

I have the 2100mAh ones and have had no issues.

We use these in our underwater strobes 4x in each usually last a full day shooting

which can be as much as 10 hours if on the livaboard boat

Kym
19-08-2009, 3:39pm
Interesting ... Both Exceeded labelled capacity
http://www.rechargeable-battery-review.com/consumer-batteries/aa-battery-tests/aa-nimh-battery-performance.html

Powerex NiMH 2700 2734.4 101.27% 3.43
Sanyo NiMH 2500 2539.52 101.58% 3.13

And on the low self discharge...
http://servaas.com.au/blog/index.php/imedion-and-eneloop-performance-review/

Karl
19-08-2009, 7:20pm
I use the Varta Brand - available from Bunnings - in my strobe for my underwater photography and have found they are absolutely fabulous.

So far in over 12 months approx 40 dives taking up to 100 photos a dive using the strobe every shot I have only charged them twice, once when I got them and once a few months ago and will probably recharge them just before my trip to Phuket in Oct.

I also use them in my Speedlite 460 strobe for Canon 450D - but haven't used it that much yet to make a comment on and I use them in other devices such as MP3 player etc.

Karl

pollen
20-08-2009, 1:58am
Maha Powerex's are the best. I use these for my Speedlites. I use Maha Imedions for my battery packs.

Duracell 2650 are also very good

imagemelbourne
20-08-2009, 9:15am
Interesting ... Both Exceeded labelled capacity
http://www.rechargeable-battery-review.com/consumer-batteries/aa-battery-tests/aa-nimh-battery-performance.html

Powerex NiMH 2700 2734.4 101.27% 3.43
Sanyo NiMH 2500 2539.52 101.58% 3.13

And on the low self discharge...
http://servaas.com.au/blog/index.php/imedion-and-eneloop-performance-review/
RE: first link - Pity they didn't test Eneloops...

From the 2nd page : Update: Anders has noted that the eneloop graph is not correct. To see a more comparable graph, see the eneloop tests by Silverfox.

The claim that Eneloops don't come with a battery holder is also incorrect - not sure about the twin packs, but the 4 packs come with a nice little holder. I don't sell batteries or have any connection with any battery co... unlike servaas lol

imagemelbourne
20-08-2009, 9:25am
*#That's only true for cheap fast chargers. :cool:

A MaHa C9000 charges and discharges, cycles etc. It is a true battery management system.

Fast chargers are fine ... IF they cut out before overheating or overcharging.
The C9000 is very good at that; the cells are never hot only a little warm (normal) after charging.

The C9000 lets you fully program the charge rate. So you can do a 1/10th C slow or 1/2 or higher C fast charge.
Either way the C9000 will not overcharge or overheat your cells.

Do some research. :lightbulb: Google: Maha c9000 review

I know I sound like an advert but I have had significant experience with rechargeable battery technologies in various applications over the last 20 or so years. (RC aircraft; portable radio and computer gear (warehousing application); computer UPS etc).
I know what works; also what is myth and fact.

I didn't know there was a Maha charger with variable charge rates, that sounds like a very good idea. I had a smart charger that monitered temperature & voltage.... it still ate batteries, they were fairly warm once charged :-(

If the Maha works for you thats cool. I suspect your charger cost a lot more than mine plus an extra set of batteries so if you are organised my system costs less and still works well. I quite like having the extra batteries as backups, YMMV ;)

Kym
20-08-2009, 9:36am
I didn't know there was a Maha charger with variable charge rates, that sounds like a very good idea. I had a smart charger that monitered temperature & voltage.... it still ate batteries, they were fairly warm once charged :-(
If the Maha works for you thats cool. I suspect your charger cost a lot more than mine plus an extra set of batteries so if you are organised my system costs less and still works well. I quite like having the extra batteries as backups, YMMV ;)

Warm - yes but not hot. Some fast chargers leave the cells so hot you can almost burn your fingers - not good. The C9000 has negative delta V, peak voltage, dT/dt (temperature rise) and max temperature protection - it just works.

The C9000 is $89 plus postage from Jeff Servaas. Which is a great investment even if it only doubles your cell life. (Sounding like an advert again :D )
Its also very good a reconditioning cells using the 'break-in' mode or 'refresh/analyse' both involve discharge cycles.
http://servaas.com.au/maha-powerex-mhc9000-wizardone-battery-charger-analyzer-p-52.html

If you are dependant on AA cells (and most of us are for at least our Flash units) then seriously look at the C9000.

PROtog
20-08-2009, 11:03am
Hi Guys

I thought I would join the conversation, seeing as you are talking about some of the test results published on our website.

I can guarantee my PowerEx 2700's don't go flat that quick...I shot a wedding on the gold coast almost two weeks ago and used a bit of flash at the reception and they're still going fine as of last night...

I would concur with this. I tested a set of 4 x Powerex 2700's that were over a year old. I charged them in a MH-C9000 and measured the capacity. I left them for 60 days, and then discharged them in the MH-C9000, and they had retained 84% of their charged capacity.

Cheers

Jeff

kingwheatie
20-08-2009, 11:13am
Some great info in your posts, just went and order a c-9000 charger and 2 sets of IMEDIONS from Servaas.:th3:

OutCast
20-08-2009, 11:36am
Hi Guys

I thought I would join the conversation, seeing as you are talking about some of the test results published on our website.

I would concur with this. I tested a set of 4 x Powerex 2700's that were over a year old. I charged them in a MH-C9000 and measured the capacity. I left them for 60 days, and then discharged them in the MH-C9000, and they had retained 84% of their charged capacity.

Cheers

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for the input - any chance of an aus photography discount code ... :)

cheers.

PROtog
20-08-2009, 1:35pm
RE: first link - Pity they didn't test Eneloops...

There are lots of independent tests comparing eneloop and powerex in flashes if you search. Nothing I can link to though.

The claim that Eneloops don't come with a battery holder is also incorrect - not sure about the twin packs, but the 4 packs come with a nice little holder. I don't sell batteries or have any connection with any battery co... unlike servaas lol
What holder did your eneloops come with? Maybe eneloops used to have a holder, but they don't now. Here is a picture of the packaging that eneloops are being delivered in since last year:

http://servaas.com.au/images/SAA4_pack.jpg

Kym
20-08-2009, 1:39pm
For the record: I have no relationship with Jeff Servaas ... other than using product.

imagemelbourne
20-08-2009, 5:13pm
There are lots of independent tests comparing eneloop and powerex in flashes if you search. Nothing I can link to though.

What holder did your eneloops come with? Maybe eneloops used to have a holder, but they don't now. Here is a picture of the packaging that eneloops are being delivered in since last year:

All the Eneloops I have bought from DSE have come with a clear clamshell clip together holder. There seems to be quite a range of packaging for them, it may depend where you buy them from. I haven't seen the packaging you show here until now. Confusing isn't it!

bigdazzler
20-08-2009, 5:25pm
I bought a set of Sony 2500s to try out .. last weekend they lasted me about 6 hours and over 300 frames and still werent done with when I packed up.. very impressed :th3:

bigdazzler
21-08-2009, 11:48am
has anyone got the Maha 8 cell charger (http://servaas.com.au/maha-powerex-mhc801d-cell-aa-battery-charger-p-30.html)??

I really want to get something that does more than 4 batteries at a time.

lukiez
09-09-2009, 1:27pm
Hey guys,

I got a FL50R Flash (olympus) and was having a problem with the rechargeable batteries, i had 2000mhz Duracel rechargable batterys (NiMH). After the first charge i put them in, and they died within seconds... I then chucked them back in the charger, charged until it said it was ready by the led's and tryed them again. Same thing happened, i spoke to the guy at jbhifi and he said try charguing them for around 4 hours (it was a 30minute charger). Tryed again and died straight away so i took them back and have just been using Alkaline for a while which will get upto 500 flashes. Has anyone else ever experienced this with there flashes? Should i try a different brand with a higher Mh?

Also i checked the flash booklet and it states they can use NiMH Batterys?..

Thanks, Luke

mikec
09-09-2009, 1:47pm
Hey guys,

I got a FL50R Flash (olympus) and was having a problem with the rechargeable batteries, i had 2000mhz Duracel rechargable batterys (NiMH). After the first charge i put them in, and they died within seconds... I then chucked them back in the charger, charged until it said it was ready by the led's and tryed them again. Same thing happened, i spoke to the guy at jbhifi and he said try charguing them for around 4 hours (it was a 30minute charger). Tryed again and died straight away so i took them back and have just been using Alkaline for a while which will get upto 500 flashes. Has anyone else ever experienced this with there flashes? Should i try a different brand with a higher Mh?

Also i checked the flash booklet and it states they can use NiMH Batterys?..

Thanks, Luke

Luke perhaps grab a different brand? I have a pair of eneloops (bought them for when I hired a flash) and they worked a treat, from the number of people here who recommended (and other forums) I say you couldn't go wrong with a set of them. They aren't super expensive either.

lukiez
09-09-2009, 1:58pm
after reading everyones reviews i am going to purchase some eneloops like you suggested aswell mikec.. thanks fingers crossed its not my flash :)

Kym
09-09-2009, 2:18pm
after reading everyones reviews i am going to purchase some eneloops like you suggested aswell mikec.. thanks fingers crossed its not my flash :)
Don't underestimate the value of a good charger. The cheap fast chargers will kill your cells!

lukiez
09-09-2009, 2:22pm
Thanks for pointing me to this thread Kym missed it when searching :)... i just went to dicksmith and got Eneloops and they came with a charger, will that charger be okay for these batterys?

Kym
09-09-2009, 2:56pm
A battery manager is the answer. See above posts. The C9000 is one of the best and affordable. I have one. The Sanyo charger is just ok.

etherial
09-09-2009, 6:57pm
A battery manager is the answer. See above posts. The C9000 is one of the best and affordable. I have one. The Sanyo charger is just ok.

I'll second that, I just bought a MH-C9000 after reading this thread and it is brilliant. All of a sudden I know what my batteries are doing rather than just guessing with a quick charger.

Go buy one, you won't look back.:th3:

etherial
09-09-2009, 6:58pm
I should add to that, thanks to Dave and Kym for your posts in this thread. I love my new charger!

lukiez
09-09-2009, 7:04pm
Hey were can you purchase these other chargers? Is there any retailers besides online?

Kym
09-09-2009, 7:23pm
Servaas is your best option - online but Aussie.

etherial
09-09-2009, 7:33pm
Thumbs up for Servaas, I ordered mine online, and received it the next day in country Vic. Very good service.

bigdazzler
09-09-2009, 7:39pm
Thanks for pointing me to this thread Kym missed it when searching :)... i just went to dicksmith and got Eneloops and they came with a charger, will that charger be okay for these batterys?

The Sanyo plug-in-wall charger that would have came with your Eneloops is a slow charger mate. it will take up to 12 hours to fully charge your batteries.

I use Eneloops and they are great batteries, so youll wanna look after them, and keep them conditioned for longer lasting life .. I have this Maha 8 Cell Charger (http://servaas.com.au/maha-powerex-mhc801d-cell-aa-battery-charger-p-30.html) .. fantastic unit :th3:

N*A*M
10-09-2009, 12:23am
lukiez, make sure your old charger was suitable for nickel metal hydride (NiMH), not nickel cadmium (NiCad).
some chargers have a switch on them to set the battery type. using the wrong type will not work very well.

Colourised
07-11-2009, 6:21pm
i was just wondering.. does anyone here have any experiences with the MahaEX travel charger?? the one that charges for 1hr..

because im not really keen in waiting for the batteries to charge up till 9 hours..

and since everyone recommends them Maha's or Sanyos was wondering whether their quick chargers are okay??

please advise :)

etherial
07-11-2009, 6:24pm
If you are only looking for fast charging and size isn't your issue I would still go for the MH-C9000. You can set the charging rate to make it charge quicker. Even when I put mine in on default settings for a quick charge it only takes around an hour.

Colourised
07-11-2009, 6:35pm
oh! so there is a default settings for the MH-C9000? because it does look a little bit complicated to me imo.. after looking at the Wizardone charger as well with the different settings. kind of scared me off thinking i would need to know quite a bit on these batteries!

etherial
07-11-2009, 6:39pm
Yes there certainly is. Just chuck em in and it does it just like any quick charger - only better!

But you won't regret buying one, the flexibility it gives you is brilliant.

Colourised
07-11-2009, 6:41pm
thnks etherial! id better take advantage of the promo by servaas then! :)

peterb666
07-11-2009, 6:58pm
I have been using Eneloops for a while and they are fantastic. I also have some Varta Ready2Use which are quite similar. I prefer these to the high power Engergizers and Duracell batteries which are forever needing a recharge when I pick them up.

I don't use my flash a lot but the last thing I want to do is recharge the batteries before putting it into use.

dave
07-11-2009, 8:58pm
Ive used Eneloops for the past year and still use my 10 year old kodak fast charger and have the best batteries Ive ever had always charged when ya need em

Clubmanmc
08-11-2009, 10:17am
I have 5 sets of eneloops, they are great, they are only 1900 mA but they slowly loose their capacity, giving their best for longer, I used to use the sanyo 2700 but found they would be awesome just after being charged, but would drop to 1900 mA level very quickly..

M

juliaharwood
14-11-2009, 8:24pm
Thanks for this, I have had loads of trouble with rechargables, so I will try these.:)

PROtog
14-11-2009, 8:32pm
Available from a site sponsor too:

eneloop AA 4 pack
(http://servaas.com.au/sanyo-eneloop-2000mah-rechargeable-aa-4pk-p-66.html)
Thanks for this, I have had loads of trouble with rechargables, so I will try these.:)

Kym
14-11-2009, 8:58pm

Most people think they have issues with rechargeable cells; but in fact the real problem is the crappy charger that kills their cells by overheating.

enduro
15-11-2009, 12:38am
DO NOT buy Energizers. They do not hold their charge and will die rather quickly.

Get Sanyo Eneloops or Powerex Imideons. Both are slow discharge type NiMH batteries. i.e. they'll hold 80% charge after a year, so they're always ready when you need them. They go for about $20/4 AAs but are totally worth it.

On top of that, get an intelligent charger - something like a Maha C9000, you can dial in a slow charge and they shutoff based on charge, time and temp. as opposed to generic timed chargers that tend to overcharge your batteries and thus shorten their life.

All of these can be got from www.servaas.com.au (http://www.servaas.com.au) (great guys btw), or the Sanyo batteries are also available from Dick Smith stores.

Agreed. I have 16 Eneloops and they work fantastically on the 430-EX, Wii Controllers, my GPS etc etc. We even use them on the doorbell.

I get far better results from them with on the flashgun than with standard NiMH's and I'd say they are just as good as alkalines. At least the huge cost and evironmental saving is worth it. Nonrechargable batteries are disgusting things.

bigdazzler
15-11-2009, 8:34pm
I have 5 sets of eneloops and the Maha 8 cell charger .. and ive just ordered another 2 sets from Jeff at Servaas the other day. Fantastic batteries, but make sure you get a good conditioner to look after them.

Roof
05-12-2009, 10:16pm
Can i charge eneloops nimh in my energizer fast charger ??? Or would i be better of getting one of these hitech chargers. I now have energizer cells with the charger but the cells don't hold power anymore.....

Kym
05-12-2009, 10:19pm
Can i charge eneloops nimh in my energizer fast charger ??? Or would i be better of getting one of these hitech chargers. I now have energizer cells with the charger but the cells don't hold power anymore.....

The cheapo chargers work, but will kill your cells much faster than a decent charger.
I've found eveready to be sub-par when it comes to rechargeable technology.

Roof
05-12-2009, 10:25pm
The cheapo chargers work, but will kill your cells much faster than a decent charger.

never said it was cheap, same price ast the maha.

Helen S
07-12-2009, 4:39pm
Another fan of eneloops after having purchased a few sets of late... flash, Wii, torches, you name it... all enelooped. :)

chrisprendergast
07-12-2009, 4:49pm
sanyo eneloops i have 4x 4 packs in my kit very good and hold charge well

Kym
07-12-2009, 4:57pm
never said it was cheap, same price as the maha.

Misunderstood.

Good fast chargers are fine ... IF they have good peak detection including temperature (as does the Maha).

The cheap chargers allow overheating and that is the killer, the excessive heat boils off the electrolyte and your cells degrade!

Natsky
27-12-2009, 4:52pm
Need help with 2 questions please...

1. Purchased a Rezap charger months ago ($109) on the advice of local camera store because the cheap chargers were killing my batteries. I find this sometimes still cooks them or doesn't fully charge the cells. Is the Maha going to be that much better?

2. Which is the better option... the C900 (4 at a time) or the C801D ( 8 at a time)? Would prefer to do 8 at once, but if the C900 gives a better result then that's the way I would go.

Thanks for an informative thread and any advice you can give. Just wish I had been her before I got the Rezap!

Kym
27-12-2009, 6:04pm
I can only speak to the C9000 - the cells get warm but not hot. It works very very well.
It is also a manager meaning is does full discharge recycles etc. measuring capacity as it goes.

Can you vary the rate of the Rezap? Sounds like you are charging at a too high rate.

bigdazzler
28-12-2009, 6:43am
2. Which is the better option... the C900 (4 at a time) or the C801D ( 8 at a time)? Would prefer to do 8 at once, but if the C900 gives a better result then that's the way I would go.

I have the 801D, and I only use eneloops. It is a fantastic combo, you wont be disappointed mate. Its very handy to be able to charge 8 at once.

rogklee
28-12-2009, 9:38am
I got the C900 I think and the powerex batts from jeff. Pretty cool stuff. Met Jeff as well and his a good guy, he'll look after you and teach you how to use the batts too.

3 Thumbs up!!!!

I @ M
28-12-2009, 10:28am
The intelligent chargers seem to be well regarded and I must investigate them.

Four months down the track, the investigation was done quite some time ago and we bought the C9000 and a couple of sets of the maha batteries from Jeff at Servaas Products (http://www.servaas.com.au/) and couldn't be happier.
The charger keeps both the older and new batteries in good shape and is well worth the $$$. :th3:

Natsky
28-12-2009, 11:49am
Can you vary the rate of the Rezap? Sounds like you are charging at a too high rate.

No manual settings on the Rezap Kym. I suspect it is overcharging at times and yet at others it doesn't give a full charge and I am changing batteries 50 flashes into a wedding...frustrating. Have checked the instructions repeatedly and am definitely using correctly. Been using Energizer 2700 and have cooked/killed about 6 now.

The C9000 seems complex compared to the 801D and the convenience of charging 8 at a time is appealing. I generally take at least a dozen batteries to a wedding so overnight/trickle charging 4 at a time takes a while. Definitely going to purchase one of the chargers, but still not sure which...just want to make the right decision and get on with it.

Scotty72
28-12-2009, 4:43pm
I am about to be the next sevaas customer :)

Only, I too am wondering about the C900 or the C801D choice.

Is the way the c900 handles batteries that much better than the 8x charger?

Decisions, decisions... any advice?

jibbonpoint
19-01-2010, 6:39pm
once upon a time, it was recommended that re-chargable batteries be completely discharged before recharging. It was a "memory" issue. I still do the same with my K10D; carrying a spare.

Is this still the case?

etherial
19-01-2010, 7:07pm
That was a significant issue with with the old NiCd batteries. It isn't really an issue with the newer NiMh batteries, although giving them a full drain and recharge every now and then is still a good idea.

bigdazzler
19-01-2010, 9:02pm
once upon a time, it was recommended that re-chargable batteries be completely discharged before recharging. It was a "memory" issue. I still do the same with my K10D; carrying a spare.

Is this still the case?

the Maha 801D has a "Deep Conditioning mode". It will run them dead, recondition, and recharge. Takes up to 24 hours so I wouldnt do it when youre in a hurry. I normally deep discharge about once in every 4 or 5 charges. I assume the C900 has this too ?? Dunno.

Kym
19-01-2010, 9:09pm
The C9000 does a deep discharge cycle. Its called 'Break-in' in the manual.

NiCd have a memory problem. NiMH don't. The purpose of deep cycles is to improve or maintain capacity.

DavidB
20-01-2010, 8:18am
For me, must-haves in chargers include: The use of separate charging circuits for each battery. Otherwise a failing cell can cause others to be overcharged, etc. Temperature sensing to avoid overheating the cells (ideally individually). Control over the charging current (different battery models have different needs). Ideally this is a per-battery control.

Another charger option (one that I use) is the LaCrosse BC-900. Not available from any Aussie retailers though. Otherwise the Maha chargers are good. The MH-C9000 is the bees knees, although at first glance all the options can be a bit daunting. :confused:
The BC-900 is smaller than the MH-C9000 (room and weight in my checked bag is always an issue on trips).

As far as batteries go, the Eneloops are great. But as well as Eneloops I use the Powerex Imedions (also available from Servaas). The have essentially the same characteristics, and are rated as 2100 mAh. I also have a bunch of older "2400 mAh" plain NiMH cells, but they're gradually being phased out of my collection. One of my "plain" NiMH cells died during my recent Norwegian trip. The charger showed me it wasn't taking a charge, and didn't damage any of the other cells being charged at the same time. :)

coolie21
20-01-2010, 9:48am
I went with the Maha C9000 deal from Servaas the other day before reading this thread, looks like I made a good choice. Came with 4 Powerex 2700 and 4 Imedions. Great deal.

That charger is like nothing I have ever seen before, I've had the powerexes on the 'break in setting' and it is still working through them after 2 days :)

Loopy
21-02-2010, 7:41am
Had problems with standard batteries with my Pentax k-x. Switched to Eneloop and they are great. Highly recommended.

para
21-02-2010, 8:40am

http://servaas.com.au/images/SAA4_pack.jpg

We have been using these on our dive boats with our u/w strobes etc highly recommended

RamblinR
21-02-2010, 9:18am
I use Sony Eneloops and Sony CycleEnergy. Both are very good and retain their charge.

I also use an Enecharger which holds 8 batteries and charges cells individually.

I carry mine in the following personally designed and made Battery Wallet. It's great as it holds up to 16 batteries or just fill one side for eight. Used batteries get put back in bum up so I know which are charged and which empty.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3420/3797912346_96a530f3e2_o.jpg

peterb666
21-02-2010, 5:45pm
I have posted before that I prefer use either Sanyo Eneloop or Varta Ready2Use these days. You can leave these lying around for months and they are still fully charged. I have used quite a few of the older style NiMH batteries in capacities ranging from 1800 to 2800 mA/h rating over a number of years and found the higher the rating the shorter the battery life (in number of recharges). Higher capacity, conventional NiMH batteries also have a quicker self-discharge rate.

As NiMH does not need to be fully discharged and are quite happy with top-up charges; deep conditioning charges just shorten the life of the battery. Deep conditioning should only be used with NiCad batteries which simply are not worth the time of day these days.

kptn82
23-02-2010, 12:45am
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=677074

This link might be of interest to you all, I had the same questions and found this test results! Awesome reading actually.

PROtog
23-02-2010, 2:21pm
I have posted before that I prefer use either Sanyo Eneloop or Varta Ready2Use these days. You can leave these lying around for months and they are still fully charged. I have used quite a few of the older style NiMH batteries in capacities ranging from 1800 to 2800 mA/h rating over a number of years and found the higher the rating the shorter the battery life (in number of recharges). Higher capacity, conventional NiMH batteries also have a quicker self-discharge rate.

Agreed, for the average photographer, Low Self Discharge batteries are the way to go. For the wedding, press, or events photographers, a high quality NiMH AA battery will outperform any low discharge battery for flash refresh rate, and number of shots per set of battery.

As NiMH does not need to be fully discharged and are quite happy with top-up charges; deep conditioning charges just shorten the life of the battery.

I agree, so long as the batteries are being used on a weekly basis. Batteries are happiest when they are busy. If you have a set of (normal NiMH or Low Self Discharge NiMH) batteries that have not been used for 1 or 2 months, putting them through a discharge and charge cycle just before you use them will give them some exercise and 'wake them up' and you will get better performance from them.

Colinc1
24-02-2010, 9:27pm
Another order on its way to servaas for a charger & batteries

Cheers
Colin

johndom
25-02-2010, 11:09pm
I have some newer energizers and charge them up on an old school basic charger, as well as a stack of DSE batteries that are nearly 2 years old and gradually getting moved to the remote control and kids toys pile. The energizers are 6 months old and just starting to show signs of age. Still, I have been getting a lot of work out of them in that time, packshots and events, both being quite flash intensive. They have paid for themselves many times over that period.
Are there any other battery/charger site or shops? I remember a good battery shop down at Birkenhead point/Sydney, but I am not sure if they do much AA.

peterb666
26-02-2010, 12:56pm
If you have a set of (normal NiMH or Low Self Discharge NiMH) batteries that have not been used for 1 or 2 months, putting them through a discharge and charge cycle just before you use them ...

After 1 or 2 months, your normal NiMH are going to be as dead as a doornail and have to be recharged. No need to put them through a discharge at all.

After 1 or 2 months, the low discharge version will have essentially the same charge as when you put them away. After about a year, they will still retain around 85% of their charge (even more if you left them half-charged which I have read gives the longest retention - beats me why).

A battery creates power using the electrical potential differences between different materials and an electrolyte allows that potential to flow.

A rechargable battery allows for that process to be reversed but there is a limit as it cannot be 100% efficient. Each time you submit a battery that does not have a memory effect to an unnecessary discarge and recharge, you are reducing the number of remaining cycles left in the battery.

I am sure you know this but others may not.

PROtog
26-02-2010, 3:45pm
After 1 or 2 months, your normal NiMH are going to be as dead as a doornail and have to be recharged. No need to put them through a discharge at all.

That is certainly true of many brands of NiMH battery, but not all. I have measured the discharge rate of a two year old set of Powerex 2700mAh AA after 60 days in my office drawer (not a controlled lab environment) and the discharge figures were as follows:

http://servaas.com.au/images/AA2700_SD_rate.jpg

Afer 60 days the batteries were discharged @500mA to see the remaining charge. They were then charged at 1000mA to measure the full capacity. This test shows that the Powerex 2700's have very good self discharge characteristics for a non LSD battery. These batteries had been cycled about 20 times in my Pentax K100D, and considering the age of the batteries, their capacity has not degraded significantly over time.

After 1 or 2 months, the low discharge version will have essentially the same charge as when you put them away. After about a year, they will still retain around 85% of their charge Yes, for most users LSD batteries are better.

TAYLORW619
13-08-2010, 8:47pm
Hi all,

Looking for a decent set of batteries and charger, the ones I have at the moment are terrible and I have to charge them like a day or two before use. I can never store them.

Looking at these:
http://protog.com.au/maha-powerex-mhc9000-wizardone-aaaaa-battery-charger-analyzer-p-52.html

http://protog.com.au/sanyo-eneloop-2000mah-rechargeable-aa-4pk-p-66.html

http://protog.com.au/maha-powerex-2700mah-nimh-aa-rechargeable-batteries-4pk-p-41.html

What do you guys think?

Is it really worth the expense?

Kym
13-08-2010, 9:08pm
Yes! The MAHA C9000 is the ants pants for chargers.
The Powerex out perform the Sanyo's (which are very good) but are not low discharge.
The Sanyo's will still hold a charge after 6 months.

TAYLORW619
13-08-2010, 10:20pm
Yes! The MAHA C9000 is the ants pants for chargers.
The Powerex out perform the Sanyo's (which are very good) but are not low discharge.
The Sanyo's will still hold a charge after 6 months.

Hi Kym,

How complicated is the C9000?

I think I will buy two sets of the sanyos to go with it.

Kym
13-08-2010, 10:26pm
How complicated is the C9000?

Very easy. Instructions are good, the display is clear and obvious. The default settings are well thought through.

TAYLORW619
15-08-2010, 12:00am
Do you have any basic settings I should use? It seems so complicated, I jut don't understand about charging/discharging etc.

Kym
15-08-2010, 12:15am
Do you have any basic settings I should use? It seems so complicated, I jut don't understand about charging/discharging etc.

Assuming Eneloops with 2000ma/h capacity. The defaults are exactly what you need...

Turn it on, wait for it to be ready (5 seconds).

Charge: Put a cell in, press enter for charge mode, press enter again for 1000ma/h charge (1/2 C) for eneloops, it says when done (2+ hrs from flat)
Repeat for the remaining 3 cells.

Cycle: Put a cell in, press down arrow once (Refresh & Analyze Mode), press enter, press enter for charge 1000ma/h, press enter for discharge rate (500ma/h), leave overnight it will say when done and report capacity.

It's very very easy!! http://www.mahaenergy.com/download/mhc9000.pdf

TAYLORW619
16-08-2010, 3:35pm
Now I have to decide between the Sanyos and Powerex's,

Whats the go?

Kym
16-08-2010, 3:46pm
Now I have to decide between the Sanyos and Powerex's,
Whats the go?

PowerEx Imedions 2400mAh == Sanyo Eneloops 2000mAh; both being low discharge (Powerex rated higher capacity, but in practice is not that much difference)

Maha Powerex are 2700mAh

http://www.eneloop.info/home/performance-details/capacity.html

If you use them regularly (mores than fortnightly) go the 2700, if you leave them on the shelf for a month or three but want them available in a hurry use the low discharge.

I have both.
I know I've always got a set of low discharge on hand if I need them, and I have the 2700mAh for when I need the capacity (usually run a re-cycle the night before).
A bigger shoot (using flash) I plan ahead and have all ready when I need them.

TAYLORW619
16-08-2010, 9:22pm
Just ordered the charger, 2x plastic AA holders, and 2x eneloops 2000

With delivery $150 spot on.

Hopefully its worth it!

joeyvaldezjr
17-08-2010, 12:50am
i use sanyo eneloops as well and they're great!

Kym
17-08-2010, 9:46am
Looks like Apple are using Eneloops...

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/08/12/apple_rechargeable_batteries_are_likely_rebranded_sanyo_eneloops.html

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/08/12/apples-new-rechargeable-aa-batteries-actually-sanyo-eneloops/

Kym
17-08-2010, 9:51am
Just ordered the charger, 2x plastic AA holders, and 2x eneloops 2000
With delivery $150 spot on.
Hopefully its worth it!

If you get 100 more cycles and more life per cycle then you are waaay ahead. (And you should get much more)

The big thing about a good charger/battery manager is that you wont over change as it has
multiple detection methods (heat, voltage and resistance I think) where cheap chargers
usually have one (voltage).

Overcharging = over heating = losing electrolyte = loss of capacity and number of lifetime cycles.

Phil Mac
17-08-2010, 11:25am

Hopefully its worth it!

The Sanyo Eneloops are good batteries, they hold their charge well! Have you had a look at the vidoes on the site, they describe the C9000 operation quite well.

Cheers

GoldZilla
18-08-2010, 2:56am
Hmmm, I'm still up in the air about whether to order the C801D or the C9000 - the extra capacity for more batteries on the C801D would be good if all other functions are the same as the C9000. I've got a LOT of rechargeable batteries here at home in various devices.

Advice???

TAYLORW619
18-08-2010, 7:50am
Hmmm, I'm still up in the air about whether to order the C801D or the C9000 - the extra capacity for more batteries on the C801D would be good if all other functions are the same as the C9000. I've got a LOT of rechargeable batteries here at home in various devices.

Advice???

Well I got the C9000 because I thought it would be good for travel. In the future I can always buy the C801D if needed and keep the C9000 for travel.

virgal_tracy
18-08-2010, 9:42am
I have ended up buying both. The C9000 for all of the advanced features and the 801 for the higher number of batteries when I need them charged without having the extra features that the 9000 gives.

I will usually use the 9000 for every 4th charge and go through the refresh / analyse cycle.

TAYLORW619
19-08-2010, 9:04pm
Just got it but it's really confusing :confused013 :rolleyes:

What settings should I choose for Charging? 1000MAH? or lower?

And what settings for discharge?

And how long should these take? Will all four batteries say 'done' when the session is complete? Are they safe to remove then?

Thanks

trigger
19-08-2010, 11:21pm
Thought I'd add my 2 cents.

There is nothing wrong with using Energizers that are genuine.
I think the problem is that there are so much fakes out there people associate them with poor performance + QUICK chargers (death chargers)

I have both Eneloops (Real ones.. there are tons of fake ones out there atm) and Energizers.

Eneloops 2000 Mah vs Energizer 2450 Mah

Yes the energizers lose their charge quicker then the Eneloops. But from a internal resistance stand point (how quick they pump out the juice) i notice no difference.
Both sets cycle a full flash from a 580exii in under 2 secs. They also keep well in the chiller in your fridge.

The Mah are better on the Energizers, giving more juice for flashes. I've tested the capacity and they are typically 23xx mah the Eneloops 19xx.

The key is charging.

I have the C9000 and charge at 0.1C which = 2450x0.1 = 245 ma.
and my 2 year old batts are still going strong as the Eneloops. I cycle and break them in every 3 months.

TAYLORW619
20-08-2010, 8:38am
This is a nightmare, i have no idea what is going on.

I set to discharge overnight on 100MAH. Wake up, 3 & 4 are done, 1 & 2 are going up in MAH but it says discharging??????

Then I now put on charge 1000MAH , in under a 3 mins it says 3 & 4 are done with 42 MAH and 19 MAH.

Could somebody please help me?

I @ M
20-08-2010, 8:58am
This is a nightmare, i have no idea what is going on.

I set to discharge overnight on 100MAH. Wake up, 3 & 4 are done, 1 & 2 are going up in MAH but it says discharging??????

Then I now put on charge 1000MAH , in under a 3 mins it says 3 & 4 are done with 42 MAH and 19 MAH.

Could somebody please help me?

Taylor, it sounds like you have 2 different cycles set on the batteries.
If it says done on the 2 batteries, remove them, they are ready for use.
With the other 2 it sounds like you have it set to a "refresh" mode where it cycles the batteries between discharge and charge.

Get the instruction book out and reread the section about charge ratios as a charge of 100mah sounds very low assuming that they are 2100 or 2700 batteries.

Read, then reread the instruction book mate. :)

Kym
20-08-2010, 9:25am
Don't over complicate it. Just use the Refresh cycle with defaults (1000/500) once then use normally and in a months time do another Refresh cycle.

PROtog
20-08-2010, 2:19pm
Assuming Eneloops with 2000ma/h capacity. The defaults are exactly what you need...

Turn it on, wait for it to be ready (5 seconds).

Charge: Put a cell in, press enter for charge mode, press enter again for 1000ma/h charge (1/2 C) for eneloops, it says when done (2+ hrs from flat)

An even easier method is to insert batteries into charger, and do nothing. If you don't change the mode or the rate within 5 seconds, the charger will start charging all 4 batteries at 1000mA.

TAYLORW619
20-08-2010, 2:36pm
Ok, I will try the recycle when I get home in about half an hour and post what happened.

TAYLORW619
20-08-2010, 3:25pm
Ok just set each battery.

Turned charger on, put batteries in, put each one on cycle dis 500MAH and charge 1000MAH

In under a min they are all on rest

1 shows: 6 MAH 1.47 volt 1 cycle
2 shows: 5 MAH 1.47 volt 1 cycle
3 shows: 4 MAH 1.47 volt 1 cycle
4 shows: 4 MAH 1.47 volt 1 cycle

ALL ON REST

Im really starting to regret buying this, $150 bucks wasted on something that I cant even get to work.

Kym
20-08-2010, 5:44pm
That means they were already fully charged.
The 1.47 volt is 'peak'
The only time you see the full capacity is after a full discharge or refresh/analyse cycle

All good!

TAYLORW619
20-08-2010, 5:48pm
That means they were already fully charged.
The 1.47 volt is 'peak'
The only time you see the full capacity is after a full discharge or refresh/analyse cycle

All good!

Ok, thanks for your reply Kym,

I am really confused at the moment.

I just put them on discharge 500MA. Why is the MAH level increasing? Should I just let the discharge go and then charge?

Thanks

Kym
20-08-2010, 5:53pm
When on discharge its showing how much current has been used, so you then know what the capacity is.
When on charge it shows how much current is put into the cells (kind of).

TAYLORW619
20-08-2010, 5:56pm
When on discharge its showing how much current has been used, so you then know what the capacity is.
When on charge it shows how much current is put into the cells (kind of).

I think I get it now,

So when it's discharging, it's fully discharged when it gets to 2000MAH,

And when its charging it's fully charged when it get to 0MAH?

Thanks, your your patience

Kym
20-08-2010, 6:02pm
No, when it charges it starts at zero and goes up until fully charged.
So after either cycle (charge or discharge) you get a capacity reading.

You are really making this much harder than it is.

Taylor, Use the force charger ;)
It just works

TAYLORW619
20-08-2010, 10:01pm
Ok, discharge finishes.

I take batteries out and test in flash, and they are bloody fully charged.

What the hell is going on here, i discharge them for them to be charged anyway?

TAYLORW619
20-08-2010, 10:31pm
Ok, I'm really confused.

First time I can actually get it to do something (discharge) the MAH works it's way up. All is good. When all four markers say 'DONE' they are around 1900MAH. Take these out and put them in my flash. And they are fully charged, I can let my 580EXII off continuously without the green button coming on, stays red on the pilot.

TAYLORW619
21-08-2010, 9:50pm
ok im just going to run these batteries out, then charge and then attempt to actually discharge them

PROtog
24-08-2010, 1:31pm
Ok, I'm really confused.

First time I can actually get it to do something (discharge) the MAH works it's way up. All is good. When all four markers say 'DONE' they are around 1900MAH. Take these out and put them in my flash. And they are fully charged, I can let my 580EXII off continuously without the green button coming on, stays red on the pilot.

Taylor, Jeff here from PROtog, the MH-C9000 will cut off the discharge when the cells reach around 1.0V. If your 580EX will fire with the batteries after discharge, then the 'low battery cutout" voltage of the 580EX is below 1.0V. Once they are flat, put them into the MH-C9000 on a CHARGE cycle, and note their voltage after about 30 seconds. This will give you an idea of when the 580EX cuts out. Let the charge finish, it should take about 2.5 hours from completely flat to completely full.

Let us know how you go!

TAYLORW619
24-08-2010, 10:15pm
Thanks for your replies everyone,

After re-reading manual and everyones posts, I have worked it out.

I just got confused with the overwhelming amount of information it provides, but now I understand it, it's fantastic.

Thanks for everyones help.

Taylor

Kym
25-08-2010, 12:17pm
I just got confused with the overwhelming amount of information it provides, but now I understand it, it's fantastic.

:cool: Good! You seem to be one of those that needs to know all the gory details - fair enough.
But, the C9000 is just simple and works.

TAYLORW619
25-08-2010, 9:26pm
Yeh I do need all the details, I can never half understand things :rolleyes::confused013

If I go for a shoot and use the batteries, whats the best way to recharge if they are are full?

Should I discharge then, recharge? Or just recharge?

Thanks.

Kym
25-08-2010, 9:57pm
Just charge, is has 3 levels of peak detection so it won't over charge or over heat.

GoldZilla
29-09-2010, 5:54pm
OK, just to steer away from Taylor's confusion :P - I ended up buying both chargers as well, and am happy! I had a bunch of rechargeable batteries at home, so I've put each one through a proper cycle at rated dependant on what their capacities are. I guess I'm doing the right thing, so far it's been a good experience. I have had to refer to the instructions a few times, and will probably continue to need to in the future, but I've kept the instructions and the chargers close to each other, so all good!

wolffman
05-10-2010, 11:35pm
OK, took the plunge and joined the rest of you zealots with the CS9000 and some powerex and emeloops. Plugged the powerex in this evening on a break-in cycle so will see how they are in the morning.
Couple of questions
Are the instructions for the charger available online if I lose the original?
Is the default charging rate for the break in 500 or 1000 mA?

phild
06-10-2010, 8:36am
+1 for the eneloops and intelligent charger. I also have some Sony equivalents of the eneloop which seem to be just as effective. One nice thing about the MH-9000 is that it has break in and refresh cycles which condition the batteries. I had a set of old Ni-Mh cheapies that were barely holding a charge, the MH-9000 bought them back to a much higher charge state after using the refresh cycle.

rellik666
06-10-2010, 1:09pm
Ok read this thread....thought...well I need some batteries for various things...flash, wii....etc..

Went online...picked a 9000 and 3 sets of Powerex batteries...(not bothered about them holding their charge for a long time these seem to be as good for the needs I have)...saw that they have a pick up option...so looked where they are .....and they are 10 minutes up the road! :th3:

Been and picked them up and will use them tonight! Brilliant!

I love AP!

Roo

PROtog
06-10-2010, 3:03pm
OK, took the plunge and joined the rest of you zealots with the CS9000 and some powerex and emeloops. Plugged the powerex in this evening on a break-in cycle so will see how they are in the morning.
Couple of questions
Are the instructions for the charger available online if I lose the original?
Yes, all manuals are available for download from our site http://protog.com.au/download/manuals/mhc9000.pdf

Is the default charging rate for the break in 500 or 1000 mA?
For BREAK-IN mode, there is no default charge rate. You need to set the Capacity of each battery, and it will calculate the charge rate at 0.1C, so for 2700mAh batteries, the charge rate will be 270mA, and for 2000mAH batteries, the charge rate will be 200mA. Check out my video on setting up BREAK-IN mode here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Yrv7zewhWo

Cheach
06-10-2010, 5:17pm
Time for me to jump on the band wagon too. :p

I am not a heavy user of my 580EXII so I think I'll go with the low discharge type. but wouldn't mind getting some for my sons toys etc too.

Which is better to get, Eneloop or Imedion?

it seems most members posted here have eneloop.

Cheers
Rob

I @ M
06-10-2010, 5:47pm

Rob, I can't comment on the eneloops cos we have never used them but the imedions from protog have provided superlative service with a lot of flash use.

Cheach
06-10-2010, 6:12pm
Thank you Andrew.

PROtog
06-10-2010, 11:31pm
Time for me to jump on the band wagon too. :p

I am not a heavy user of my 580EXII so I think I'll go with the low discharge type. but wouldn't mind getting some for my sons toys etc too.

it seems most members posted here have eneloop.

Cheers
Rob

eneloops are superior to IMEDIONs for really low power use, such as remote controls and other devices where the runtime between charges is greater than 1 year.

eneloops have also been shown to be superior for really high amp draw LED torches. For everything in between these two extremes, the IMEDION provide the low discharge characteristic of the eneloop, and a higher capacity.

There are a number of eneloop and IMEDION comparison tests done, we have a couple of links on our blog. Have a read here http://servaas.com.au/blog/index.php/low-self-discharge-rechargeable-aa-battery-test-results/ and here http://servaas.com.au/blog/index.php/canon-speedlite-flash-test-results-for-aa-energizer-duracell-eneloop-imedion-powerex-aa/ and here http://servaas.com.au/blog/index.php/aa-rechargeable-battery-test-in-a-nikon-sb-800-flash/

Cheach
07-10-2010, 12:10am
Thank you Jeff.

After reading your reply and the FAQ links you've posted I gathered that s is better for flash guns and Eneloops is better suited for remotes, toys etc.

I will head your way to place an order as soon as I convinced the finance minister to sign off on the purchase :) just ordered 2 Hoya HD circ pol filters yesterday so may have to wait until next week ;p

evilloz
18-10-2010, 3:44pm
Hi OutCast

I'm using NiZn (nickel-zinc) rechargeables for my 580EX II

They are rated at 1.6v per cell, norminal voltage.

Seems to be working quite well so far. The extra voltage really helps with cycle times.

The down side is they do cost a bit more, and not available in Australia (you will have to get them from ebay).

Loz.

rwg717
16-12-2010, 10:47pm
Although this is an old thread, I picked-up on the general sentiment of the posts, invested in some Maha Powerex AA's and "wooooshka", can't believe the extra grunt these have:efelant:
Richard

PROtog
17-12-2010, 12:05am
Hi Richard, glad you are happy with the performance boost! Are you seeing faster recycle times, or more flashes per charge, or both? Jeff

LJG
17-12-2010, 8:59am
Another Eneloops user here. The thing I like about them is you can leave your flash in your bag and they don't go flat, they stay charged for ages.

PROtog
17-12-2010, 10:40am
Another Eneloops user here. The thing I like about them is you can leave your flash in your bag and they don't go flat, they stay charged for ages.

Not going flat is referred to as LSD, or Low Self Discharge. eneloop were first to market with LSD batteries, but have been surpassed by the IMEDION LSD batteries, as tested by a number of different photographers. We have a couple of links on our blog. Have a read here:

Capacity and self discharge tests: http://servaas.com.au/blog/index.php/low-self-discharge-rechargeable-aa-battery-test-results/

Canon Flash tests: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=677074

Nikon Flash tests: http://servaas.com.au/blog/index.php/aa-rechargeable-battery-test-in-a-nikon-sb-800-flash/

The above tests were conducted with the IMEDION 2100mAh. The new IMEDION 2400mAh have even higher capacity, and will provide even longer runtime to cameras, flashes, and torches. The Powerex 2700's are also included in some of the above tests, and provide faster recycle time, and higher capacity again, at the expense of faster discharge. After about 2 months, the discharge f the Powerex 2700's means you get more power from the IMEDIONs. For users who completely drain the battery in less than 2 months, the 2700's will provide longer running power, and faster flash refresh rates.

rwg717
17-12-2010, 7:47pm
Hi Richard, glad you are happy with the performance boost! Are you seeing faster recycle times, or more flashes per charge, or both? Jeff

Certainly am getting fast re-cycle. I had given up on the mainstream NiMh offerings, just about hopeless, in the Canon 430EX you would be lucky to get 150 flashes from a fresh set and the last 30 frames were taking up to 12sec. to cycle. I bought a 580EX a while ago and even Eveready's expensive Lithium batteries were taking 20 seconds out of the packet to convert the green pilot light to red. The powerex 2700's take less than 2 seconds to bring the red light to "ON", most impressed:efelant:
Richard

rwg717
18-12-2010, 7:50pm

Yes, I was getting sick of going to a shoot somewhere and having flat batteries so I started taking them out of the flash, that helped a bit but I don't think there is a real alternative to low-drain AA's:)
Richard

Flash Hit
18-12-2010, 10:06pm
I know this thread was started in 2009 but it keeps popping up. I suppose it's good for newbies like me. I have the 580EXII and use the Varta AA 2100 mAh batteries. They charge in less than 15 minutes. After the flash has fired, it's ready again in only 2 seconds!
Just this week, I purchased a pack of 4 2100 mAh for spares, in Coles for $18. Very low discharge rate (retaining 80% after 12 months) so they last a fair time while idle. There's a very interesting Youtube test (Australian) at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG6rta4PuSM
The charger (twin unit) is at http://www.shoptop.com.au/p_2403_Varta

redhead65
31-12-2010, 2:07pm
I know this thread was started in 2009 but it keeps popping up. I suppose it's good for newbies like me. I have the 580EXII and use the Varta AA 2100 mAh batteries. They charge in less than 15 minutes. After the flash has fired, it's ready again in only 2 seconds!
Just this week, I purchased a pack of 4 2100 mAh for spares, in Coles for $18. Very low discharge rate (retaining 80% after 12 months) so they last a fair time while idle. There's a very interesting Youtube test (Australian) at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG6rta4PuSM
The charger (twin unit) is at http://www.shoptop.com.au/p_2403_Varta

+1

I've just purchased two sets of Varta AA 2100 mAh batteries (~ $18 at Woolworths) for my 580EXII as well. So far, so good. That being said I have used two sets of the Eneloop 2000 mAh batteries before in another compact camera and have had great results. I've left the camera for months at a time and the camera is always usable when I get it out to use it. I would have purchased Eneloop batteries for my 580EXII but unfortunately the local stockist (Dick Smith) were out of stock in the lead up to Christmas.

magfish
10-01-2011, 9:29am
Hi I've been using Sanyo eneloops for the past three years and have had no problems. I go through periods of high use interspersed with sometimes lengthy periods of idleness (battery use not me) and it's nice to know that all your rechargeable batteries still have a serviceable amount of charge left after a lengthy period without recharging. I'm sure the other long life rechargeables are as good, just I found the eneloops first. Mostly I use them in my flash but also in off-camera audio recording devices and AAA's in my bicycle head and tail lights.