PDA

View Full Version : Advice on when to get my new MacBook Pro:::

ash233
17-08-2009, 9:39pm
Guys, i feel like i've got myself into a bit of a pickle......i have been putting off my laptop upgrade for a while.....right now i'm waiting for apple to release snow leopard before i purchase my new MBP.........BUT.....my old dell lappy is on death row and i mean really bad....blue screens, changes amount of memory, doesnt always start up straight away etc etc.... I am off to New Zealand for a week next tuesday and have just remembered the Tourist Refund Scheme refunds travellers the GST for items bought 30days prior to travel.....so i could get at least $350 off my MBP if i buy it now.......but then would have to upgrade the OS to snow leopard when it is finally released.......is this a big deal?? i imagine i will have to reformat the whole thing a few weeks after i get it!!!......would much prefer to take it to NZ than the clunker dell that is for sure!!!

What to do what to do.....

Ash

reaction
18-08-2009, 8:32pm
apple's well known to obsolete your stuff right after you buy it!
so it dun matter when you get it...
get it now for TRS!

Spyke
19-08-2009, 10:05pm
Get it now if you can get the TRS. Remember on your return though you're meant ;) to declare purchases above $900 (if that's the current limit) for each adult, and pay GST on the difference. So you won't actually be saving much.

The upgrade to Snow Leopard is meant to be an in-place upgrade, if that's the correct term. By that the OS is upgraded but your applications, email accounts and settings are all retained. Rumours have Snow Leopard being released any time from August 28, so if you buy now you may get a free upgrade from Apple, or only have to pay for postage of a CD.

The 15" MBP is now available with an anti-glare (non-glossy) screen as an $80 option. Should be a no-cost option, but at least it's available now.

ash233
19-08-2009, 10:11pm
Thanks for the info spyke, i ended up ordering it on tuesday morning.....however i doubt it will be here before i leave for NZ anyway :(

i ended up option for the 3.06, 500gb 7200rpm HD ....i decided to stick with the glossy screen as well, some ppl on here may disagree with that but i like the look of them and if i want accurate colours i will need an external monitor anyway. yep $19 for snow leopard im told.....Can't wait to get it!!!!

I do hope Snow Leopard is an inplace upgrade....that would be great!

Ash

pgbphotographytas
20-08-2009, 6:52am
It sounds like you are all sorted now, yes snow leopard should be an "in place" upgrade.

Paul