PDA

View Full Version : Card reader

B D H
16-08-2009, 10:18am
Hi All
I've just had a new 1Tb HD fitted to my desktop (dell) so I'm starting from scratch again.
because of its size this will now be primary storage for all of my images

The problem is : my card reader isn't regognised, the little balloon doesn't come up saying "found new hardware" & it's not in my "my computer"
It works fine in my laptop
I've just updated all the canon software (utilities,zoombrowser etc)

any idea's on drivers I might be missing or needing

Cheers

MarkW
16-08-2009, 11:21am
Did your card reader have a card inside. My mac wont show the card reader until you put a card in it.

B D H
16-08-2009, 4:37pm
Thanks Mark
Yeah, the cards in, I actually took it straight from the laptop with card where it worked OK &plugged it into the desktop - no go !!

Dawixe
18-08-2009, 12:46am
it maybe a dirty usb connection just blow the dust out.

MarkW
18-08-2009, 7:45am
Hvae you check the system using the Device Manager, from the system icon in Control Panel.

The card reader should show up when plugged in under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers"

If it doesn't there may be something wrong with the card reader, at least under a windows operating system.

Another alternative is you might need a USB device driver. My old PC (Asus system) did this. The USB driver was in the list of drivers that had to be installed for the mother board to operate correctly - sound card, display drivers etc. With your Dell you should have some discs where one might be the operating system whilst the other would be all the device drivers. You could also go onto the Dell site and download the drivers for you particular model.

After this I'm out of ideas. :confused013

matilda
18-08-2009, 8:05am
have you tried a different usb port? I sometimes have the same problem.

I also find that I can't have my camera and ipod on at the same time, will only recongise 1. so there could be that kind of conflict as well.

B D H
18-08-2009, 4:56pm
Hey !!
I got it working
It turns out the reader doesn't like the front ports on the desktop (everything else is OK with them) & prefers one of the rear ports and an ext. cable - if thats how it has to be, so be it

Thanks everybody for all of your idea's
Cheers