PDA

View Full Version : Velbon 2 Way Magnesium Macro Rails

trigger
15-08-2009, 5:07pm
Purchased these a while ago but only got to use them yesterday.

After about 3-4 hours of usage here are my findings

Features.
2 Way movement: Forwards (15cms) and sidewards (8cms)
1 Way slider. Ability to remove lower part and use as 1 say slider
2 Sliding knobs.
Pros:
Slider knobs are Smooth: Not geared yet not fully sliders either.
Sliders have tensioners and can be adjusted with the tool provided
Light: Surprisingly lighter then my mag heads
Relatively cheap
Cons:
No quick remove plate
Not geared and no markings for precision movement.
Position of the mounting plate doesnt seem to have been designed for tripod-ring
Not Enough clearance for a "faux" ring light :(
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2643/3822738814_b36e88d259.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2551/3822738144_cea9495c5b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3489/3821932621_5295f8658e.jpg

Conclusion:
I highly recommend these for macro work of the stationary kind.
Especially useful for those who use extension tube as the ultra shallow DOF means adjusting the MF on the lens might throw off the composition.

For the price, approx $140AUD, its a bargain.

Just make sure you have a tripod head (ball) that allows 180 hemisphere motion.

I @ M
15-08-2009, 6:25pm
Very good review trigger :th3: at $140.00 you would be hard pressed to argue about the price, I know I wouldn't like to try to make anything as precise at home.

old dog
15-08-2009, 6:57pm
looks good to me. I`ll put it on the lust list.

clm738
15-08-2009, 8:24pm
Thanks trigger, this will be very helpful.

Dawixe
17-08-2009, 1:58pm
Nice review. Gotta look into getting one of these.

Cage
18-12-2010, 11:57am
Hi trigger

Came across this thread when searching for info on the Velbon slider.

I've pretty much decided to get one and was wondering how you mounted it to your head. I have a Markins Q10 and wondered if I could attach one of their mounting plates to the tripod mount on the slider.

Cheers

Kevin

PS: Great review. Answered most of my questions.

Othrelos
18-12-2010, 2:20pm
As far as I know there isn't a macro focusing rail that has an internal quick release system. I did look into one of these but the lack of QR was a deal breaker, I have heard reports that these tend to get loose and wobble a bit after some heavy use. I use a sigma 180mm f/3.5 APO EX DG which is a heavy lens. I need a platform that is able to rigidly hold that kind of weight regardless of what angle it is set to - one of the reasons I use a Manfrotto 405 tripod head these days.

Cage
18-12-2010, 3:44pm
Thanks for the input Othrelos.

I've actually just found an eBay listing for the slider with a full set of photos, and I'll be able to fit any Arca Swiss compatible plate to the base. I'll then only have to remove my camera plate and use the mounting plate on the slider. My macro lens is the Siggy 105 and a lot lighter than your 180, although I'd swap in an instant. ;)

Macro is only one of my interests, so hopefully the heavy usage scenario won't be a problem. My Markins Q10 head is rock solid. All I need now is the mounting base dimensions to get a plate that closely matches it.

Cheers

Kevin

Othrelos
18-12-2010, 11:35pm
Thanks for the input Othrelos.
Macro is only one of my interests, so hopefully the heavy usage scenario won't be a problem. My Markins Q10 head is rock solid. All I need now is the mounting base dimensions to get a plate that closely matches it.

I have heard a lot of good things about the markins, My ballhead of choice is the B55 from RRS. On the markins the friction limit control looks like it can be too easily bumped and inadvertently maladjusted, I haven't seen one of these heads in person and I have been curious over the overall construction quality in comparison to the RRS ballheads.

incidentally I also work with a pentax FA*200mm f/4 ED macro which leaves my sigma macro lens for dead in all areas of IQ. One of only reasons why I have the sigma 180 f/3.5 is because the FA200mm f/4 ED developed a fracture in the tripod collar which has since been fixed. the other reason is that my sigma 100-300mm f/4 APO EX DG and the sigma 180mm f/3.5 APO EX DG Macro use exactly the same tripod collar, so switching between those two lenses is even easier.

Cage
19-12-2010, 10:50am
I have heard a lot of good things about the markins, My ballhead of choice is the B55 from RRS. On the markins the friction limit control looks like it can be too easily bumped and inadvertently maladjusted, I haven't seen one of these heads in person and I have been curious over the overall construction quality in comparison to the RRS ballheads.

I haven't seen the RRS heads, but I can assure you that the quality of the Markins head is absolutely top shelf. In my brief time with it I think the clamping system is foolproof.
Here is a link to a thread I wrote on why I chose the Q10. http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?72870-My-New-Markins-Q10-Head-and-why-I-chose-it.

Mate, I envy you your FA*200. They're as scarce as rocking horse poop, and considered to be possibly Pentax's best ever.

Cheers

Kevin