PDA

View Full Version : Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX

Prang
13-08-2009, 9:38pm
Does any one have the new Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 and how do you find it?

Thanks Pete

arthurking83
13-08-2009, 9:52pm
yeah I'm curious too.

I remember reading that it'll be available soon, but that was a while back.

this is an upgrade of the venerable variable aperture version, but from memory has an 82mm front filter thread size, so may be a different beast altogether to the current version.

Wonder if it's better/worse/same/worth the upgrade?

Kym
14-08-2009, 10:56am
I have the f/4-5.6 - which works nicely.
Seeing I typically shoot landscape with it at f/11-f/22 I'm not sure the f/3.5 helps much, esp at an extra $400.

Ethony
14-08-2009, 11:48am
[QUOTE=arthurking83;374224]
I remember reading that it'll be available soon, but that was a while back.
QUOTE]

It is available now, looking at getting one next month and testing it in China, I think the Great Wall is a pretty good candidate for testing this lens out.

arthurking83
14-08-2009, 1:22pm

..... looking at getting one next month and testing it in China....

I reckon you can never have a too big aperture, but you can always have a too small aperture! ;)

I can't imagine that it'd be any worse than the variable aperture version, and that it's most likely better at all apertures.

another option is the Tokina 11-16/2.8 too.

Ethony
14-08-2009, 3:31pm
another option is the Tokina 11-16/2.8 too.

So if money was not an issue which would you get, the Sigma or the Tokina?

I @ M
15-08-2009, 11:34am
Doesn't look like there are many owners of the newer version around Peter.
I am a happy "old" version owner and I assume that anything newer is probably a bit better so it will provide plenty of bang for your buck.

Ethony, if money were no object I would buy both. :D
Seriously, the Tokinas have a reputation of being built like tanks and from all images I have seen they produce the goods. I don't know if having faster apertures in a wide angle lens is all that useful, guess some people do though.

Either way, wide angle lenses aren't meant for boring old landscapes and stuff. :D
I am sure they were designed as a birding lens. :p
Uncropped image, D200, Sigma 10-20 1/125 F/16 @ 10mm.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh294/ImagesAtMarlo/10mmkooka.jpg

arthurking83
15-08-2009, 4:15pm
So if money was not an issue which would you get, the Sigma or the Tokina?

as Andrew said! both :D

but if money were not an issue on the purchase of either one(ie. you have approx $1K to burn.. definitely the Tokina!
While you may think you'll never need f/2.8, the lens is really no bigger(as opposed to the difference in size compared to the Nikon 14-24/2.8!).. and if that leaves a small gap between the 17mm and 24mm focal lengths, I think it may not be an issue to be concerned about.

I have the Siggy(variable aperture version) and think it's the best value for money UWA lens(but I forget how much they're charging for it now, so that may not be 100% accurate).

my only gripe with the Tokina is that it's not HSM/USM/AF-S type focusing, and nothing to do with speed or accuracy, only in that there is a mechanical linkage to the AF screw drive on Nikon cameras, and that can make for annoying circumstances on some cameras.
I'm not sure how it works on Pentax or Canon bodies, but with Nikon cameras you have to flick the focus switch to decouple the focusing ring, or possibly use a mechanical clutch system on the lens's focusing collar.... a slightly better way than the dinky body switch, but still annoying sometimes.

I'd love to see a comparison between the Sigma f/3.5 and the Tokina f/2.8 lens, as I think overall the Sigma may be nicer to own most of the time, despite the slightly slower aperture.

Prang
16-08-2009, 1:52am
Andrew that is a ripper image, it makes you wonder why they spend so much on 400mm lenses.:D

Unfortunately I think the Tokina is not available for Pentax mounts.

I probably wouldn't need the faster speed, but I think in most cases having constant aperture lenses are usually better made?

Pete

David
16-08-2009, 6:14am
Im happy about the the 3.5 ex Version being out there now because (in theory) the 'old verson f/4-5.6 Sigma 10-20mm SHOULD drop in price over the coming months with rousing applause for the new version and THEN I can get the old version Ive been hankering for for awhile now. Off to google the prices and cf the 2 options :) noting the Aussie dollar is high agianst the US dollar at the moment.:)

If money wss NOT the issue Id be out looking for the 3.5 EX to broaden the usefulness of the len AFTER having another look at the Tammy alternatives:)

Ethony
17-08-2009, 2:42pm
:) Thank you for all of the comments. I have a couple of weeks to think about it some more. I@M awesome shot.