PDA

View Full Version : Help Please with Laptop

mrsgrumblebum
12-08-2009, 1:17pm
Hi guys just having a few probs with my youngest daughters laptop.

Not sure how old it is but it is a Compaq brand running XP Home Edition.

Ok the problem is it seems to start up ok sometimes to the point where you log in then it is as if xp can't start and then I get blue screen with white writing and before I can write the numbers down it tries to reboot itself over and over and over.

I have started it in safe mode and all seems well.

Restart and the same ol saga again reboots itself over and over then blue screen white writing.

I am waiting patiently for anyone that may be able to help as it is driving me nuts trying to solve this problem & hoping it is something that isn't very major

Debbie xox

Kym
12-08-2009, 2:11pm
Those symptoms suggest a hardware fault; but not always.
Possibly motherboard, memory or harddrive.

What was the most recent software installed?

Is your anti-virus up to date?

Can you leave it in safe mode for an hour or two? (Which will help in determining if hardware or jast a config issue)

Have you a backup of the data?

Can you re-install windows?

Kodi
12-08-2009, 2:23pm
You can stop the Blue Screen of Death from closing before you read it by following the instructions LISTED HERE (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/ht/disautorestart.htm)

ricktas
12-08-2009, 2:40pm
I had a computer that did this as well. In the end ran some diagnostics in safe mode and discovered a faulty RAM module. Replaced RAM and away it went. So as Kym says, could be hardware related failure.

I recall there being an old hidden system tool in windows that would run and detect if there were hardware issues. Not sure if it still exists, or if it will run in safe mode, but when you get your pc started in safe mode, go Start > Run > and type in 'drwatson' and hit ok

Kym might be able to enlighten us more if this still exists and if it still detects stuff like hardware issues

brindyman
12-08-2009, 2:48pm
Dr. Watson, the system failure or "crash" analysis tool, has been replaced in Vista with Problem Reports and Solutions. Dr Watson is available in xp...great tool to use i used it many a time when i ran xp LOL....yes i tinker alot with my comps.

i would say its a ram issue....so get that checked out....laptop RAM is easy to fix :D it could even be as simple as the ram is loose in the slot.

Find out where your RAM is stored..its usually on the bottom with a pop off door and see if the RAM is inserted if it is then it maybe time to replace the ram...if you have two sticks of ram then take one out and turn on the machine and if you can get into windows you know the RAM stick you took out was faulty.

Hope that helps

mrsgrumblebum
12-08-2009, 2:50pm
I had a computer that did this as well. In the end ran some diagnostics in safe mode and discovered a faulty RAM module. Replaced RAM and away it went. So as Kym says, could be hardware related failure.

I recall there being an old hidden system tool in windows that would run and detect if there were hardware issues. Not sure if it still exists, or if it will run in safe mode, but when you get your pc started in safe mode, go Start > Run > and type in 'drwatson' and hit ok

Kym might be able to enlighten us more if this still exists and if it still detects stuff like hardware issues

Have just pm'd Kym.

Daughter is just turning on laptop now to see if we can try dr watson..... hope so...

will try dr watson and will post if it works ... or not... will post either way.

thanks Rick

mrsgrumblebum
12-08-2009, 3:11pm
Grrr drwaton say nothing to report.

brindyman
12-08-2009, 3:13pm
Grrr drwaton say nothing to report.

check my post above :D :) see if that helps at all :)

mrsgrumblebum
12-08-2009, 3:28pm
check my post above :D :) see if that helps at all :)

Thanks Brindy. Just found a screwdriver will have alook, oooooo never done this before.

pgbphotographytas
12-08-2009, 3:40pm
Thanks Brindy. Just found a screwdriver will have alook, oooooo never done this before.

You should be fine, just be careful and don't slip and damage the mainboard :(

mrsgrumblebum
12-08-2009, 3:50pm
Find out where your RAM is stored..its usually on the bottom with a pop off door and see if the RAM is inserted if it is then it maybe time to replace the ram...if you have two sticks of ram then take one out and turn on the machine and if you can get into windows you know the RAM stick you took out was faulty.

Hope that helps

Ok found the ram, took it out, put it back in.

Hmmm turned on lappy, arrrg no go, still damn well carrying on with rebooting itself and the blue screen and white writing.

Thanks for your help tho I really appreciate it.

mrsgrumblebum
12-08-2009, 3:58pm
You should be fine, just be careful and don't slip and damage the mainboard :(

Well I got into the where the ram was & I was super super careful, but thanks for the tip
Paul.

Was an experience a while back that I don't want repeated.
My cd/dvd burner died so I bought a new one, friend came over installed it and decided to pull the heat sink off, then he put it back on. When he did he bent all the pins and it wouldn't turn on. Had another friend look at it who used to work in IT. He had a look and we had to replace the whole lot as our friend blew up our pc.

I guess that's why I'm very wary about fiddling with the internals of a pc

mrsgrumblebum
12-08-2009, 4:50pm
Ok after a bit more playing around with said laptop I managed to read a bit of stuff on the blue screen something about

driver_IRQL_not less_or_equal

have no idea what this means

Kodi
12-08-2009, 5:00pm
Follow the link in my earlier post and you will be able to read the blue screen and report back here with details that we can help you with

Kym
12-08-2009, 5:01pm
Ok after a bit more playing around with said laptop I managed to read a bit of stuff on the blue screen something about

Very likely a hardware issue!

mrsgrumblebum
12-08-2009, 5:53pm
Very likely a hardware issue!

do you know how I can find out what type of hardware issue.

thanks for your input and help

brindyman
12-08-2009, 5:56pm

yup....its either memory or a driver

if you have updated any drivers recently maybe do a system restore before you installed the drivers...if that doesnt work then check the memory

mrsgrumblebum
12-08-2009, 6:07pm
yup....its either memory or a driver

if you have updated any drivers recently maybe do a system restore before you installed the drivers...if that doesnt work then check the memory

did a system restore this morning took it back as far as I could go. Ok dumb question how do I check the memory

mrsgrumblebum
12-08-2009, 6:10pm
You can stop the Blue Screen of Death from closing before you read it by following the instructions LISTED HERE (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/ht/disautorestart.htm)

Kodi I am still trying to get this to work as it won't allow me to do it in safe mode.
When I get it working will post and let you know
Thanks for you help

mrsgrumblebum
13-08-2009, 8:43pm
Hi everyone especially those that offered assistance. Ok I'm sure I have narrowed down the problem with my daughters laptop every time we seem to turn on the wireless switch the saga starts.The Laptop runs ok with out a problem til wireless switch is turned on. Is there an adjustment on the lappy some where or has it had it and need to be replaced.
Many thanks again to all for your help.

check this thread http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=37288

joffa
13-08-2009, 9:05pm
Right click on the my computer icon on your desktop and go into device manager, from there scroll down the hardware list until you find the wireless adapter. Once you've found it double click on it and try disabling it, then restart your pc again and see if it boots up. If it does I would repeat the process again but rather than disable it, uninstall it.

Then re-boot the pc again, and re-install the drivers when the found new hardware wizard pops up.

Otherwise it may just be easier to backup any data you'd like to keep, and format the hard drive and re-install windows.

Kym
13-08-2009, 9:56pm
Good work on isolating the prolem.
Joffa's suggestion is correct.

(Thread merged)

mrsgrumblebum
13-08-2009, 11:44pm
A big thank you to all those that offered assistance to help me fix my daughters laptop.
I have now corrected the problem by updating the drivers for the wireless. Seems to be working like a dream. :) :th3:

pgbphotographytas
14-08-2009, 4:19pm
I am glad to hear it is all working fine now.

Paul

mrsgrumblebum
14-08-2009, 8:26pm
Thanks Paul tis goin mighty fine. She spent the best part of today connected up to the net wirelessley, without any hitches. hmm think I had better check my usage, young teenage girl prolly used alot of my download quota.