PDA

View Full Version : off camera flash - I know nothing!!!

Ellen
10-08-2009, 9:01pm
So, how do I do it? And what do I need to get? Whatever I need to get, can I get a cheap version off ebay? Is this where 'hot shoe' something comes into it? See, I really have no idea, I'm just a bit fascinated thats all. I have a sigma 530 ST flash that I have only ever used on my camera before... Would like to try more portrait stuff eventually so I guess I'll need to know about this kind of stuff :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

MarkChap
10-08-2009, 9:37pm
Ellen,

Do yourself a favour and have a look at the Strobist website, particularly lighting 101

http://strobist.com
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

The info there will keep you busy for ages

ehor
11-08-2009, 10:30am
Ellen,
There's a few ways you can go about off camera flash.

Wireless P-TTL.
Your camera body fires pre-flashes/infrared (not sure how pentx does it) and such to relay info to the flash for the correct exposure.

Wired TTL.
This is similar to the wireless system except there's no pre-flashes as all the TTL info is relayed through the off camera flash cord.

Wireless full manual.
Using radio frequency transmitter on your camera body and a receiver for your flash. It will only trigger the flash. Flash power settings & camera setup etc are all up to you.

Bigger the light source, softer the shadows.

I just bought this
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RF602-RF-602-for-Canon-5D-5DII-50D-40D-with-4-receivers_W0QQitemZ150364150926QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item230266dc8e&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

to try it out. Hasn't arrived yet but I'll let you know if it's worth it.
You can get a single kit with a transmitter + receiver for $50.

Harves
11-08-2009, 12:31pm
I just bought this
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RF602-RF-602-for-Canon-5D-5DII-50D-40D-with-4-receivers_W0QQitemZ150364150926QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item230266dc8e&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

to try it out. Hasn't arrived yet but I'll let you know if it's worth it.
You can get a single kit with a transmitter + receiver for $50.

I would be interested in seeing how good it is. I bought one a couple of weeks ago, not that model, but a cheaper version and it was a bit "hit and miss" with the firing of it.

Miaow
11-08-2009, 3:29pm
I got a wireless cheap one a few weeks ago and then discovered it didn't really want to work with the 430EXII :/ Looks like I'm going to have to actually get the more expensive Canon one or find another brand that does work with it

Chookman
12-08-2009, 9:09am
I got a wireless cheap one a few weeks ago and then discovered it didn't really want to work.....

There are some things I think you have to buy made by the original manufacturer and I think a decent flash unit is one of those.
I bought a speedlight some time ago. Although I couldn't really afford it at the time I've never regretted the purchase. It works first time every time. I use it with an extension cable and as a wireless unit along with my D300 in Flash Commander mode and it works great. Recently I bought another second hand unit and between the two the results are fantastic. No problems, no fuss they simply just work.

Chook

David
12-08-2009, 9:34am
I just got a Speedlite 430 to match up with my Canon so I can tell you nothing except to be well versed and talk to plenty of people before you buy anything and be aware that its not just a flash you have to get ...theres other bits as well like off shoe chord or remote this and that.

Be well informed or you will get burnt and buy stuff that wont match up together or you dont really need. Eg A Flash Bracket: would have cost me almost as much as the flash and the salesman tried to convince me I HAD to have one, bs. :)

Chookman
12-08-2009, 12:19pm
.....be well versed and talk to plenty of people ....

Best advice anyone could give

Chook

bigdazzler
12-08-2009, 4:13pm
All you need to get you started with off camera flash is 1. a manually adjustable flash and 2. a trigger set. Any of the ebay PT-04s will get you going and cost about $30 for a transmitter and receiver.

You can buy strobist kits which include a lightstand/umbrella adapter/shoot through umbrella for about $99 from www.###########.com.au or www.##############.com.au along with plenty of other places.

ehor
13-08-2009, 11:50am
Just got my new triggers and damn they are GOOD.

Reviewed it here
http://blog.edwardhor.com/2009/08/13/yongnuo-rf-602-wireless-flash-trigger/

Ellen
13-08-2009, 7:29pm
Thanks everyone for your replies... I think I need to do some more research, I dont think I get it still.... I think I just need to practice, it just seems so foreign at the moment. Maybe I need to see it for real to know how it works.... ah well.

TeddyTan
15-08-2009, 1:05am
There's a mod available on these cheap triggers that reported to be able to extend the range to over 100++ meters. I've done it and only manage 60meters. But still, better than the 5 meters range without any mods.

Adrian Fischer
23-08-2009, 3:04pm
Greetings all,
First time poster.

I have a number of RF-04's and RF-616 and recently bought 2 YN0460 flashes to compliment my sb600. I have hot shoe receivers for all of them. I also have a remote trigger for my D80 but the trigger doesnt activate the transmitter hotshoe attached to the camera. So my question is I guess, does a remote operate the camera in its full capacity like pressing the button on the camera itself does? The remote trigger activates the auto focus but wont fire the attached hotshoe tx. Am I missing a setting in the menu or is it just not doable in this manner without some more bits of kit?

Thanks

TeddyTan
23-08-2009, 3:10pm
I have some RF-04 too and they only fire if I depress the shutter button itself. If I use the remote trigger for the camera, the RF-04 won't fire....

I @ M
23-08-2009, 3:45pm
I also have a remote trigger for my D80 but the trigger doesnt activate the transmitter hotshoe attached to the camera.

Welcome to AP Adrian, and a quick question on this subject.

If you fit the SB600 directly to the camera, will it fire as per normal when using the remote release?

Adrian Fischer
25-08-2009, 8:00pm
Hmm..its a miracle...

I hadnt tested the remote trigger with the sb600 attached to camera until you mentioned it. After some trouble with flat batteries it worked fine. Remote trigger operated the attached flash. So just to be sure I took the flash off and attached it to its remote receiver hotshoe and put the hotshoe transmitter back on the camera and lo and behold...it worked. I must have been doing something wrong before but now Im as happy as larry.

Had you not suggested the flash on camera test I would have assumed it just didnt work and not bothered again. Excellent result.

thanks