PDA

View Full Version : Sand in Compact Camera Lens

Jesse24
10-08-2009, 12:27am
Well I took my Sony DSC-H3 camera to the beach the other day and it turns out that there was a little sand in my bag on the way home. I went to take a photo today and noticed the problem. The sand seems to be resting omn the top of the lens though that is all I can see.

As you can see:

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/9735/dsc01526hps.jpg

Now my images turn out like this. I can make out what it is look at but I don't like the look of the images! I am hoping it is only a focus problem because of the sand and it hasn't got inside the camera.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/3967/dsc06245k.jpg

Is the camera now rubbish or should I get it cleaned?

ricktas
10-08-2009, 7:29am
Sand shouldn't cause that issue, unless it was damp sand and a lot of it.

It would be worth taking it to a camera clinic and getting their opinion on it.

matilda
10-08-2009, 7:33am
yeah i agree with rick

but it makes a nice abstract effect

mongo
10-08-2009, 7:39am
Mongo agrees with Rick

Jesse24
10-08-2009, 8:11am
Sand shouldn't cause that issue, unless it was damp sand and a lot of it.

It would be worth taking it to a camera clinic and getting their opinion on it.

Thanks, I probably will today. Any clue what it actually is though, what would be causing the image?

Jesse24
10-08-2009, 2:14pm
Turns out the camera can be fixed but a part (I think he said it was called the CRT) needs to be replaced and it would cost as much as the camera itself.

pgbphotographytas
10-08-2009, 2:23pm
Turns out the camera can be fixed but a part (I think he said it was called the CRT) needs to be replaced and it would cost as much as the camera itself.

I think you might mean the CCD?

Jesse24
10-08-2009, 2:30pm
I think you might mean the CCD?

haha that would be it. It is faulty that is why it has gone all pink. He was not sure if the sand would have caused it though.

Jesse24
10-08-2009, 4:13pm
Price of a CCD for this model is $233.31 which is cheaper than I thought but still a lot!

Seesee
10-08-2009, 7:57pm
Yes I'm afraid with compact all in one camera if something goes amiss, it's geberally throw in the bin solution.....this does appear to be moisture on the sensor as already suggested. Me thinks that apart from sand in the lens there has been some moisture in the bag as well, either from condensation, a drink bottle or moisture on the outside of the bag ...maybe wet sand.

Jesse24
10-08-2009, 9:47pm
I'm considering if I should get it repaired since I love the camera. Newer models have gone up by around $200 from what I paid and the CCD is cheaper that what I paid for the camera. However I'm expecting a few problems so the cost will probably be the same. I paid $350. If I get it fully repaired, I will think of it as buying a new camera.

Andrew.S
10-08-2009, 10:25pm
dont bin it, pull it apart and build an IR cam, if the ccd is still working

Seesee
10-08-2009, 11:21pm
Price of a CCD for this model is $233.31 which is cheaper than I thought but still a lot!

Does that price include the sensor, and it's installation as well as general clean especially to get rh sand out of the lens and wherever else it will of lodged.......reason I ask is that repair price seems rather cheap. The $233.31 seems too much of an exact figure and I'm suspecting that may simply be the price of the part, not the installation...I reckon ad another $300.00 on the price if that is the case...might pay to ask further.

Jesse24
10-08-2009, 11:46pm
Does that price include the sensor, and it's installation as well as general clean especially to get rh sand out of the lens and wherever else it will of lodged.......reason I ask is that repair price seems rather cheap. The $233.31 seems too much of an exact figure and I'm suspecting that may simply be the price of the part, not the installation...I reckon ad another $300.00 on the price if that is the case...might pay to ask further.

That was just the part, I am going to go in and pay for a quote tomorrow. If ends up being over $400 I'll get a new camera. Only a cheap one because I am still planning to get a SLR. I'll probably have to get a Sony again in the compact as I have the batteries, memory card etc.

Jesse24
14-08-2009, 12:50am
Yes $800 altogether for the repair. Turns out a lot was wrong. I've decided that I will buy the small Panasonic Lumix FS42 while still saving for the DSLR. I'll try and sell the Sony batteries.